PDA

View Full Version : Chain link

JasonB
07-19-2006, 03:44 PM
Does anyone if a link can be removed from a chain? My chain is stretched. I dont want to by a new chain just yet. So if anyone has any feed back..please do.

jcblitz
07-19-2006, 03:54 PM
If your chain is stretched beyond what the normal swing arm adjustment can handle, I'd say just replace the thing. I've seen first hand what happens when a chain fails at about 50mph...not good. But I'm pretty positive you can just grind off the connector and the link you want to remove and then add a new connector.

soda7o
07-19-2006, 04:15 PM
yes chain links can be removed..
but 1 would suggest just moving your rear tire back some..
if the chianis sitll loose i woudl replace it.. :)

but to simply answer your questions YES links can be removed...

IrocRob
07-19-2006, 05:40 PM
Having the right tools makes it easy -
You do need a new rivet type master link
of the correct size. I have the chain-tool so if
you want you can stop by and we'll take care
of that thing here.

High_Revs_17
07-19-2006, 09:48 PM
Jase, yes it's possible, but it's not a very good or safe idea. If it's stretched beyond the swingarm markers/stoppers it's done so for a reason so just replace it asap. Even if you take a link out it still won't perform properly being the reason it's stretched that far is because all the seals are worn and compressed equaling a bad situation and they'll cause further damage to your sprockets down the line, or if it breaks it can lock up your rear wheel and you know what happens after that. Pick up a nice 520, 525 or 530 race chain and sprockets, being you're hitting the track more often you'll need them anyway so the sooner you get it done the better.

CBRBob
07-19-2006, 10:53 PM
FYI, you need to remove 2 links since chains have an inner and outter. That would prob make it too short. Buy a new set, regear if you would like to but stay with a 530 since you primarily use it on the street.

Bobby
07-20-2006, 12:32 PM
You probably want to replace the sprockets while you're at it.

CBRBob
07-20-2006, 01:10 PM
Thats why I said buy the set. :)