PDA

View Full Version : Take offs...

TunerM
07-11-2006, 01:10 AM
Are race takeoffs a good option for trackdays or is there a downside to a slightly used tire....

CBRBob
07-11-2006, 07:07 AM
Depends on how 'used' it is of course.

AfricanBootyScratcher
07-11-2006, 09:39 AM
I have plenty if you are looking for some

Cakes206
07-11-2006, 11:27 AM
Depends on how 'used' it is of course.
Also on skill level of rider doing the track day.

If the tires are in ok shape, and the rider is a beginner, they should be fine. Riders who are really pushing it out there should go with a fresh set. Again, this all depends on the condition of the tire, and how well they were maintained by the previous rider. Tire warmers, tire psi, suspension set up, throttle control, all come into play on how tires wear.

TunerM
07-11-2006, 06:21 PM
Also on skill level of rider doing the track day.

If the tires are in ok shape, and the rider is a beginner, they should be fine. Riders who are really pushing it out there should go with a fresh set. Again, this all depends on the condition of the tire, and how well they were maintained by the previous rider. Tire warmers, tire psi, suspension set up, throttle control, all come into play on how tires wear.

I am a first timer to the track but I feel I can ride....I know Im not real fast like the track guys. I just saw some and was wondering if I could get away with using them at the track instead of getting a fresh set. If the rubber is slightly chewed up does that mean its no good

TunerM
07-11-2006, 06:22 PM
I have plenty if you are looking for some

What kind do you have?

Are they in good shape and could you PM me a price

Cakes206
07-11-2006, 07:00 PM
Couple things to look for:
Deep blue/purple shine to the tire, this is the natural properties of the tire coming to the surface due to heat cycling and age.

More wear on one side vs. the other, tires used on a track that was mainly lefts will wear out the left side more than the right, go to the same track(s) with mostly left turns and the left side of the tire is just going take a beating. Some people will flip the tire around, but it's something I don't do.

AfricanBootyScratcher
07-11-2006, 10:30 PM
I've got:
a set of supercorsa pros, 3 sprint races, 5 practice sessions, and 1 trackday
another set of supercorsa pros with 4 trackdays
both have plenty of meat on them, either set $100
a set of Metzler racetechs with only 3 track days. TONS of meat left, $150
all were used with tire warmers