PDA

View Full Version : Red Wing cycle boots suck for riding.

lu380
07-04-2006, 05:23 PM
I figured I would try a pair of Redwing cycle boots. I didn't buy them so much for riding, but because I like the fact that you can unzip them and slip them on and off.

Don't get me wrong, they're good boots, but I can't imagine why they're marketed as motorcycle boots. The heels are waaaaay too stepped, making it nearly impossible to transition your foot position on the pegs. I accidently applied the rear brake just before a corner because I couldn't get my toes to point down and out without fishing around.

I think the way to go is with flat (or at least flatter) soles than this. I'm considering the Icon Superduty II's for riding, but I'm a little bit concerned about the low ankle coverage.

CBRBob
07-04-2006, 07:32 PM
They are more cruiser oriented boots, in other words, not really for riding motorcycles. Icon gear is also been found to be lacking in quality. While better than nothing, they do not have the quality of most other brands.

bikerguyzx12
09-02-2006, 11:26 AM
I HAVE HAD A PAIR OF SUPERDUTYS FOR 3 YEARS NOW AND LOVE THEM, TOOK FOREVER TO BREAK THEM IN SO THEY WERE FLEXIBLE BUT THEY WORK VERY WELL, SOME OF THE OTHER ICON BOOTS ARE JUNK BUT THE SUPERDUTYS WORK GREAT

High_Revs_17
09-02-2006, 11:47 AM
Like Bob said, they are meant for riding, just not for riding sportbikes. Pick up a quality boot like Teknic, Sidi, Alpinestar, etc...at least you know your precious feet and ankles will be protected in the event of a sudden get-off.

bikerguyzx12
09-02-2006, 12:47 PM
i ride 5 different brand sport bikes with my superduty boots and they work perfectly fine on every one of them and come up over my ankle bone so i dont see why we are saying they are made for cruisers

Rock712
09-02-2006, 01:53 PM
I am still looking for an "Armored" combat boot, I have a pair of Sidi's and Oxtars....I was looking at a red wing laceup.... Right now I usally wear a pair of Corcoran field boots. http://www.shoestoboot.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=447&Category=172

High_Revs_17
09-02-2006, 01:55 PM
i ride 5 different brand sport bikes with my superduty boots and they work perfectly fine on every one of them and come up over my ankle bone so i dont see why we are saying they are made for cruisers

Here's one example you stated: "TOOK FOREVER TO BREAK THEM IN SO THEY WERE FLEXIBLE".

Cruiser style boots are designed for that reason regarding the very limited movement required in the ankle & toe area to operate one. The controls also offer much more room to accommodate the larger sole & toe of the boot.

This situation is the exact oposite on a sportbike, unless the rider adjusts the controls & rearsets to fit the boot and is able to put up with limited & uncomfortable movement for a period of time till the break-in period is complete.

The last thing a rider needs is anything that will inhibit their ability to control the bike quickly and properly when needed.

Furthermore I don't believe they would offer the same level of protection that a track style boot would.

RCM78
09-02-2006, 02:13 PM
Those Redwings are marketed to the cruiser/harley crowd.
IMO,Redwings are VERY good work boots. I've been wearing them for 16 years and just bought my fourth pair. They are expensive but they last at least 4 years.

I wear mine when I ride my Valk. They are very comfortable, lightweight and WATERPROOF.

Kennedy
09-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Those Redwings are marketed to the cruiser/harley crowd.
IMO,Redwings are VERY good work boots. I've been wearing them for 16 years and just bought my fourth pair. They are expensive but they last at least 4 years.

I wear mine when I ride my Valk. They are very comfortable, lightweight and WATERPROOF.

:+1: redwings are great boots, but not for sportbike riding.

sonny
09-02-2006, 06:34 PM
I have a pair of ICON boots, they are nice.

Jake
09-05-2006, 06:27 PM
Get the Astar racing boots, I'm sure without them I'd be on crutches right now.

rpm cycle works
09-15-2006, 11:15 AM
Just a thougt, Set up makes a really nice line of boots. They come in several styles but they all seem to function well for sport riding. The Set Up Vision their top of the line, is an inexpencive alternative to Sidi. For Less of a race look, the Pegaso or the Urban.