PDA

View Full Version : VIR....Which Course?

TunerM
06-23-2006, 11:07 PM
Im going to sign up for TPM ART Basic at VIR. Which course would be best to start on Patriot the slower more technical, North technical but faster, South for SPEED?:) And would it be better to do two days of the same track or two days two different tracks.

IrocRob
06-24-2006, 12:16 AM
I prefer the North course over the South because it's longer, but that's just me,
and you really can't go wrong with either course.
I haven't ridden on Patriot yet, and probably won't,
unless they group it with two North course days.

I definately recommend doing two days on the same
course, so if you are going to VIR that probably means
the South course. You're going to love it.

Cakes206
06-24-2006, 01:22 AM
North technical but faster, South for SPEED?:) And would it be better to do two days of the same track or two days two different tracks.
I was lucky enough to get on South course not to long ago. Loved it. I personally like it better than North I think, maybe thats 'cause I run an sv650 which is more shorter,technical track friendly. North is definitely a faster track than South. Both being technical in their own way. I can't comment about Patriot as I never been on that track. G'luck in which ever you choose, you'll have a blast!

SPRHK
06-24-2006, 08:56 AM

ffejtable
06-24-2006, 10:19 AM
For ART Basic, its a tough choice... South is more technical (lot so f decreasing radius and off camber stuff) and for new riders, it will be a challenge.. The plus side is there are much fewer turns to memorize, its slower, and they do south back to back frequently... With so many things to worry about on your first day, trying to remember the 17 or so turns on north is a lot.

Patriot isnt bad at all and for your first time doing that back to back would probably work out well. Not sure they are running that anytime soon.

For your first time out, you are going to be worrying and learning about so many different things, I wouldnt worry too much about what track you do it at...

CBRBob
06-24-2006, 12:55 PM
Any should be fine down there.
I never heard of the 'grand' course. I have ridden the full course, my fav yet!

IrocRob
06-24-2006, 01:03 PM
The "Grand" course is everything VIR has to offer.

The North , looping into Patriot, back onto South,
then back onto North.

Or the other way, North course onto South,
then looping into Patriot and back onto North.

Either way over 4 miles of smiles.....

TunerM
06-24-2006, 03:02 PM
I guess Ill just do south because its on the weekend.

Cakes206
06-26-2006, 08:14 AM
I guess Ill just do south because its on the weekend.

Awesome! Definitely keep us posted :nod2:

CBRBob
06-26-2006, 08:42 PM
Yea, thats what they told us was the FULL course.

gottaducati
06-26-2006, 08:58 PM
are you gonna use your gixxer or are you gonna rent a bike?

IrocRob
06-26-2006, 09:17 PM
The "Full" course is the perimeter of the North and South courses, not including any of the Patriot course.

Course length from VIR brochure:
Patriot = 1.1 miles
South = 1.65 miles
North = 2.25 miles
Full = 3.27 miles
Grand West = 4.1 miles
Grand East = 4.2 miles

TunerM
07-07-2006, 12:01 AM
I am going to VIR for the 29 of july just the one day....Im waiting to just get one of my friends to go with me.

I am going to be using my gixxer. I am planning on getting some tires....Either pilot race or pro supercorsas, im running pilot powers right now but the center is about 1/16 of an inch from the low tread marker but Ihave a lot on the side(commuting sucks). Can I get away with it.

ronin_01r1
07-07-2006, 12:19 AM
i'm signed up for july 30 and 31, north and south. u'll probably have more fun on the larger course on ur 750. about the tires, i don't know for sure, but i heard that if u put ur hand across the tire and you feel a flat spot from the wear, you'll need new tires. there are tpm coaches on this site so i'm sure one of them will chime in to tell u for sure.

CBRBob
07-07-2006, 07:34 AM
but the center is about 1/16 of an inch from the low tread marker but Ihave a lot on the side(commuting sucks). Can I get away with it.

If you ever have a doubt about it yourself, the answer you will get in the tech line is NO.

NYCSTRIPES
07-10-2006, 06:58 PM
North and South are great courses, I did not enjoy the Patriot on my RC51, hard to get out of 2nd grear all day. It was too tight, too short and I may have enjoyed it more with a 600cc or 250 s-stroke to ride.
I would not ride the Patriot again or recommend a 9 hour ride to VIR just to ride that course.
I have my fingers crossed for next year that TPM will get a VIR FUll or Grand course weekend.
I think it would be a great weekend to have access to such a long course, I think TPM will need a shitload more cones though...... ;)
Ken

I Ride
07-13-2006, 05:26 PM
If you ever have a doubt about it yourself, the answer you will get in the tech line is NO.

an Emphatic NO