PDA

View Full Version : Dealer who uses grease to mount tires

lrntolive
06-14-2006, 04:30 PM
If any of you live in the Northern VA area, do not take your bikes or rims to Coleman Powersports to have tires mounted.

I found out the hard way at Summit Jefferson on June 11 that they use grease to slip the tire on the rim. They got it all over the tire, but I didn't notice it. I went down in the first turn of the first session of the day. I was pissed.

When I came back into the pits, I didn't know why I went down because I was going extremely slow. Thanks to Dave K. pitted next to me who wiped his finger across the tire and called it Crisco. I spent the break scrubbing my tires with brake cleaner.

I learned my lesson. From now on, only TPM touches my tires.

soda7o
06-14-2006, 04:33 PM
wow that sucks caue if it ws on the streets or faster speeds it could have hurts alot.. youshoudl go back to them and fucking rip them a new one...

PitsVtec
06-14-2006, 04:40 PM
Damn that sucks...sorry about your misfortune!

jcblitz
06-14-2006, 04:42 PM
hidden camera, go to the shop, video them doing it, walk out with a brand new bike.

High_Revs_17
06-14-2006, 04:53 PM
This is no joke, stricter regulations need to be placed on what these assholes do. The stories I hear from customers/victims that get work done at shops everywhere seem to be endless regarding the horrible life threatening situations they're put in by uneducated mechanic wannabe's simply because they don't know what they're doing. It's bad enough riders have to contend with the present dangers on the road and track, we don't need any more...glad you're okay.

Cakes206
06-14-2006, 08:02 PM
Holy crap that sucks :banghead:
You didn't notice it when you put the wheels back on the bike? What would posses them to use freggin grease, seriously go back there and ask them wtf were they thinking :slap:

HondaGalToo
06-15-2006, 05:20 AM
That's insane. I can't believe they were that stupid. I'd go back and raise hell.

lrntolive
06-15-2006, 11:05 PM
Holy crap that sucks :banghead:
You didn't notice it when you put the wheels back on the bike? What would posses them to use freggin grease, seriously go back there and ask them wtf were they thinking :slap:

Actually, I didn't realize it at the time. I was actually doing a chain and sprocket conversion the day before and was putting everything back together to have it ready for the track. I thought maybe I got grease on the rear from the chain, but it was on the front tire, too. And not the white grease used on new chains, but a thicker, black grease.

Apparently some shops use a special rim grease made for putting tires on rims, but they're not supposed to use so much it gets all over the tread of the tire.

The day ended well, so I guess all is okay. Just remember not to go to their Falls Church or Woodbridge shops if you live in VA, otherwise, you're taking your chances.

High_Revs_17
06-16-2006, 03:02 AM
Apparently some shops use a special rim grease made for putting tires on rims

I used to mount car tires with just a heavy solution of soapy water, I can't believe they didn't know that.

Cakes206
06-16-2006, 06:22 AM
Apparently some shops use a special rim grease made for putting tires on rims, but they're not supposed to use so much it gets all over the tread of the tire.
I've never heard of that, always just a watery solution put around the edge. Thats crazy.

SAXON117
06-16-2006, 06:22 AM
I would go back and complain. maybe suggest to them to put some of that grease on their ass so it won't hurt so bad when you jam your foot in it.

SPRHK
06-24-2006, 10:11 PM
There is a grease type mounting solution for mounting tires. One is black and the other is an amber color. You are supposed to only use a very thin layer on the bead of the tire you are mounting. This is usually only used for hard mounting tires, such as tires with very stiff sidewalls(harleys,ect.). Anyone using this mounting "grease" should always make sure that there is no residual on the sidewalls and tread. For the everyday , run of the mill tire mountings, soapy water solutions always works just fine.

Scott
06-24-2006, 11:36 PM
a brutal beating is in order. fuck that "mechanic" up good............