PDA

View Full Version : Training / Fitness Question...Vinny or Carl???

Ant
06-23-2005, 09:22 AM
Ok, so after riding for the last couple months (bicycle) I have a few training questions.

1) It seems as though if I take a day or 2 off from riding I can rider harder and longer the next ride. If I go everyday I seem to dog it a little. Should I put set rest days into my sched.? Or should I just go real easy on the off days?

2) I live on a road with a big hill .25 miles from my house. Am i doing more harm then good by starting my rides going up this hill?

3) How hard should I be pushing? I mean I went home yesterday knowing I'd ride about 7 miles because I was pretty tired. Should I be pushing myself more for better fitness? Or are we back to the rest thing? Yesterday was day 4 of the week with 1 day rest and 17 miles ridden the other 3 days.

Thanks.

Vin
06-23-2005, 09:56 AM
1) It seems as though if I take a day or 2 off from riding I can rider harder and longer the next ride. If I go everyday I seem to dog it a little. Should I put set rest days into my sched.? Or should I just go real easy on the off days?
Absolutely. Ensure you get rest days in whenever you can. An off-day should be just that -- an off-day. No strenuous exercise. If you over-train, you risk reversing some of the benefits of training in the first place. Check this link in reference to cyclists. (http://www.canuckrunner.com/cycleovertrain.php)

YOU HAVE TO REST. Absolutely HAVE to.

2) I live on a road with a big hill .25 miles from my house. Am i doing more harm then good by starting my rides going up this hill?
I'm not a cyclist, but I don't think so. As long as you're properly stretched and warmed up, you're good to go. In a similar situation, I am using a new bodybuilding routine where I lift very heavy for the first set of a given exercise, then heavy and then moderate for the subsequent sets.

3) How hard should I be pushing? I mean I went home yesterday knowing I'd ride about 7 miles because I was pretty tired. Should I be pushing myself more for better fitness? Or are we back to the rest thing? Yesterday was day 4 of the week with 1 day rest and 17 miles ridden the other 3 days.
Sounds like you MIGHT be overtraining. How many miles do you normally ride in a given session? Have you considered doing a two day on, one day off split for your cycling?

Thanks.
Anytime, bro. I am glad I can help with whatever information I can. I'm in a bit of a rut myself with this working out/bodybuilding shit and need a break. Too much is not a good thing, and I'm not seeing the results I wanted to see.

carl_g
06-23-2005, 10:07 AM
ant you shoud def take rest days just like vinny said your body needs to recoup.

Starting off on a hill is fine..no problem there..

basically a big +1 to what vinny said.

duc748pilot
06-23-2005, 10:11 AM
i need to get in shape.

pmdez
06-23-2005, 10:22 AM
and i need to buy a damn bicycle!!

i do go to the gym and i find when i go every other day, i feel and look much better. those rest days do really help whether your working out, riding or any other activity.

Ant
06-23-2005, 10:44 AM
Thanks guys.

Vinny, I hear what you're saying about overtraining but honestly, I have fun when riding so it's hard to not ride just because. I'd really like to be able to ride for long periods one day. But I decided to take today and friday off and then go for it on sat. and sun.

Ripp53
06-23-2005, 05:18 PM
best way to due it is 1 on 1 off

soda7o
06-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Ant it slike that with everythign.. i run liek 40 minutes a day... (or atleast i sued to before i began slave hours at work) anyway .. aftre a day off i could run harder and faster and longer..but like 3 days in a row by the third day i would be out of gas..
take days of rest... i like to do 2 dyas 1 day rest 2 dyas 1 day rest..etc etc

Ant
06-27-2005, 09:00 AM
Well I got a new bicycle so this rest thing may not work out. lol Bike is so pimp to ride.