PDA

View Full Version : 1st time track ?

gottaducati
06-03-2006, 07:54 PM
how long were you riding before you decided "yea, im ready to step it up and hit the track?"
where did you go and did you use your own bike or did you rent one??

AfricanBootyScratcher
06-03-2006, 07:58 PM
about 2 weeks between MSF class and ART Basic class with TPM
was on Pocono East, rode my own out there

High_Revs_17
06-03-2006, 08:16 PM
I wish I hit the track years ago, it's a huge confidence builder.

gottaducati
06-03-2006, 08:17 PM
, rode my own out there

was that the 2001 GSXR600 or the 1998 VTR1000 Super"chicken
??

Cakes206
06-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Started riding on 01. First track day was in 03. Used my 01/02 gix 6/750 frankinbike I had for the street. Wish I would of done it sooner rather than wait 2 years.

AfricanBootyScratcher
06-03-2006, 08:33 PM
was that the 2001 GSXR600 or the 1998 VTR1000 Super"chicken
??
yamaha YZF600

gottaducati
06-03-2006, 08:37 PM
. Wish I would of done it sooner rather than wait 2 years.

why do you say that? its not necessary to develop riding skills on the street first??

Cakes206
06-03-2006, 08:51 PM
why do you say that? its not necessary to develop riding skills on the street first??
Not at all, in fact IMO it should be the other way around. As long as one has basic know how on shifting, braking, and steering a motorcycle, they're good to go. Especialy with TPM having their ART Basic class which is a mandatory thing for all first time track riders. Learn the skills in a controled environment like the track will make one a much better street rider. Alot of people think they're not ready to do a track day or feel its not worth it to do one...but its amazing how much ya learn...I know I did.

benellis
06-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Went in to look at possibly getting a new bike,after a year of street riding, met Omar, end of story.
At first I was hesitant to go to the track, but I took my Katana out there and had the best time of my life, no bullshit. I then bought a track bike. Blew a clutch, and then wrecked. Still, the most fun anyone can have!
We'll be back out there soon:ride:

gottaducati
06-03-2006, 09:10 PM
Especialy with TPM having their ART Basic class which is a mandatory thing for all first time track riders. .

ART basic - (if you dont mind sharing) what can one realistically expect to come out of there knowing? i mean, after the class are you all of a sudden able to rip around a track at 100+mph draggin a knee around turns??

High_Revs_17
06-03-2006, 09:15 PM
There are certain steps that should be taken to be a better rider from day one. First take the MSF-BRC. After one's comfortable on the bike then sign up for TPM's ART-BC and move up from there.

But if one plans on also riding on the street full time as well, the one thing the track can't teach them is street smarts regarding survival. Track days are great for teaching the rider how to use thier bike to it's abilities regarding speed and advanced handling in a relatively safe environment, but the only way one can learn street skills is from extensive experience on the street. The MSF will get one started in making them aware of the dangers, but it's up to the rider to get out there and deal with them in order to learn, hopefully in a safe manner.

It would be interesting if there was some type of MSF in the form of a more advanced higher speed closed street course that can instruct new riders on how to deal with everyday hazardous traffic senarios at real time speeds.

Qetesh
06-03-2006, 09:19 PM
ART basic - (if you dont mind sharing) what can one realistically expect to come out of there knowing? i mean, after the class are you all of a sudden able to rip around a track at 100+mph draggin a knee around turns??

It all depends on your comfort and skill level. This is my 3rd year riding the track and I have yet to put my knee down. Riding the track isn't about "draggin" a knee. It's about being smooth and predictable and using common sense....

Enter CBRBob...he's a TPM Coach and can give you all the info you need.

This is my 8th season riding. I waited until '04 to start riding the track. I'm glad I got out there. Being on the track and riding with TPM has made me a better and more confident rider all around.

In 2004 I did almost 11k on the street. Last year I barely did 4k! I have more fun being on the track these days then riding the street.

NYCSTRIPES
06-03-2006, 09:22 PM

As the name implies, its a basic track riders course meant to give you the necessary instruction to ride within the novice {White} riders group. You won't be taught to drag your knee in the turns, just to learn how to best use the track and ride a race line.
There are more advanced shcools and personal training offered but that comes later when you gain some skill.

I wish I knew about track riding much earlier, been riding since 1990, only discovered track clubs three years ago, now I am a confirmed track day junkie.:vtwin:
Ken

High_Revs_17
06-03-2006, 09:28 PM

You'll be able to push your bike further than you ever thought possible on the street, and by the last session of the day, if your natural ability permits it, you'll be hitting 100+ on the straights and touching a knee on the turns.

ImmaSquashYou
06-03-2006, 10:22 PM
i read all the necessary things that are for the track. Is it really necessary to do all those things like tie wires to the fairings n such??? I don't know if i wanna do all that stuff.....

High_Revs_17
06-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Is it really necessary to do all those things like tie wires to the fairings n such???

Safety wiring the bike is optional, not required for ART Basic and White group. You must tape the lights and remove the mirrors, nothing more.

GinoE
06-03-2006, 11:32 PM
street riding for about 13yrs. i got a zrx, met up with a few fellow zrx owners for a camp/ride rally in the north georgia mountains (talk about twisties!). trying to keep up with them was impossible. that winter i bought the keith code & other books and started reading.

'05 i took the zrx to pocono with TPM for my 1st track experience, did 10 trackdays that year.

stopped going to the gym, skateboarding, golfing, fishing - almost stopped snowboarding and tried to do trackdays out west - can you say 'addict' :drool:

how long were you riding before you decided "yea, im ready to step it up and hit the track?"
where did you go and did you use your own bike or did you rent one??

r6tony
06-03-2006, 11:39 PM
5 years of solid streetriding first. i wish i had the money to do it sooner.

bobbydigital04
06-03-2006, 11:52 PM
i went out and got a bike just so i could go rip at the track, i would ride on the street if i had a drivers license. (lost it in february for 1 year on possession charges)

JasonB
06-04-2006, 04:40 AM
The thing with the track is the it teaches you how to control your bike, there for you are able to get out of most situations...street and track.

Do it you wont regret it

benellis
06-04-2006, 08:20 AM
street riding for about 13yrs. i got a zrx, met up with a few fellow zrx owners for a camp/ride rally in the north georgia mountains (talk about twisties!). trying to keep up with them was impossible. that winter i bought the keith code & other books and started reading.

'05 i took the zrx to pocono with TPM for my 1st track experience, did 10 trackdays that year.

stopped going to the gym, skateboarding, golfing, fishing - almost stopped snowboarding and tried to do trackdays out west - can you say 'addict' :drool:

Yeah, I'm totally addicted. I've pretty much given up on the street. It's fun going aggressive on the street in little spurts, but on the track, you get 20 minutes of "all you can handle" at a time. I've sacrificed a lot just to go to the track a few times a year.

ImmaSquashYou
06-04-2006, 08:28 AM
Safety wiring the bike is optional, not required for ART Basic and White group. You must tape the lights and remove the mirrors, nothing more.

is full leathers also required?? one piece...two piece??

Cakes206
06-04-2006, 10:31 AM
is full leathers also required?? one piece...two piece??

Yes, either or, as long as the 2pc has a 360 zipper.

Bster13
06-04-2006, 02:08 PM
I thought u can get away with textiles for ART Basic and White group?

akomplis
06-04-2006, 02:55 PM
With the Art-Bsc/White group, how many riders in that group? Better said are there enough coaches for the amount of riders in that group?

I am definitely interested in getting out to the track....soon enough when I get the funds and back on two

Cakes206
06-04-2006, 03:03 PM
With the Art-Bsc/White group, how many riders in that group? Better said are there enough coaches for the amount of riders in that group?

I am definitely interested in getting out to the track....soon enough when I get the funds and back on two

Theres definitely enough coaches. There are designated coaches for Art Basic too. The size of the class/group varies depending on the size of the track. For example you can fit alot more riders on a huge track like Mosport as compared to Beaver Run.

gottaducati
06-04-2006, 11:03 PM
i went to the site and saw that the ART basic course runs $250 but what are the hidden costs like renting a suit and/or a bike, etc...

Bster13
06-04-2006, 11:11 PM
Bike rentals are spelled out on their site:

http://www.teampromotion.com/tpm.php?page_id=bikerental

When you register they prompt you if u need equipment rentals and list prices:
Leathers - $65 Height
Back Protector - $25
(included with leather rental)
Boots - $25 Boot Size
Gloves - $25

gottaducati
06-04-2006, 11:16 PM
Bike rentals are spelled out on their site:

http://www.teampromotion.com/tpm.php?page_id=bikerental

When you register they prompt you if u need equipment rentals and list prices:
Leathers - $65 Height
Back Protector - $25
(included with leather rental)
Boots - $25 Boot Size
Gloves - $25

thnx
im blind

NYCSTRIPES
06-05-2006, 06:28 AM
Why would you want to rent a bike when you "gotta ducati"??

Seriously, all you have to bring is a helmet.
Ken

CBRBob
06-05-2006, 08:30 AM
i went to the site and saw that the ART basic course runs $250 but what are the hidden costs like renting a suit and/or a bike, etc...

Hidden costs?

tommymac
06-05-2006, 09:09 AM
I think the hidden costs arent with the org they have all the prices out there for rentals and that sort of stuff, but yo uhave to factor in getting the bike there, then food and fuel and anything that may come up in case of a get off or not passing tech. I have learned over the last 2 years that this stuff adds up real quick, and am glad I have a decent job soI can make as many days as I can

Tom

Cakes206
06-05-2006, 09:57 AM
I have learned over the last 2 years that this stuff adds up real quick
+1 I'm actually considering giving up street riding after this season is up...put more emphasis on even more track time...maybe take an advanced riding class too :nod2:

tommymac
06-05-2006, 10:02 AM
The would be too much for me I still like the weekend rides to go up past bear mtn, and that sort of stuff, plus some of my friends are street only riders and its still fun to take off for the day and just ride and take in the scenery which I tried once on the back straight at pocono and wondered why I missed that turn:roflmao:

Tom

Cakes206
06-05-2006, 10:08 AM
The would be too much for me I still like the weekend rides to go up past bear mtn, and that sort of stuff, plus some of my friends are street only riders and its still fun to take off for the day and just ride and take in the scenery which I tried once on the back straight at pocono and wondered why I missed that turn:roflmao:

Tom

LMFAO at the Pocono comment :lol: Yea, thats cool, you got the group of friends to ride with once in a while out there. For me, I'm not the street rider I used to be. Also way to congested with traffic in the area. Figure I can get a nice chunck of change for the street bike and put towards the track. Maybe even look into another track bike with a year or two.

tommymac
06-05-2006, 10:17 AM
LMFAO at the Pocono comment :lol: Yea, thats cool, you got the group of friends to ride with once in a while out there. For me, I'm not the street rider I used to be. Also way to congested with traffic in the area. Figure I can get a nice chunck of change for the street bike and put towards the track. Maybe even look into another track bike with a year or two.

I guess if I ever hit lotto:LOL: I would do that. Now for me when we hit the twisties I dont even care if we get hung up becasue i know I have the track to let loose on. I still have a few roads where I would like to turn it up some.

If NYC fixes my futura ( which they should, long painful story) I woul duse that for commuting and want to do more touring/overnight sort of stuff. Plus I could pull the TL off the road and completley re do it with new plastics paint and some other bits to have as the occasional twisty bike/poser bike.

Tom

gottaducati
06-05-2006, 01:50 PM
Why would you want to rent a bike when you "gotta ducati"??
Ken

youre right. but when you see someone like casey stoner highside his bike its gotta make you nervous for what can happen to yours. i mean, i was glad to see he was ok but honestly my first thought was, "holy shit!! he just ruined his bike". and what do you do if you total your bike on the track? sweep up the pieces, call a tow truck, and take a cab home? that would suck.

this is probably just a bunch of crap that someone who has never been on the track says and thinks but im someone who has never been on the track.. :P

gottaducati
06-05-2006, 01:51 PM
+1 I'm actually considering giving up street riding after this season is up...put more emphasis on even more track time...maybe take an advanced riding class too :nod2:

HOWEVER, when you hear stuff like this it makes you think, "it must be awesome"

Bster13
06-05-2006, 01:55 PM
this is probably just a bunch of crap that someone who has never been on the track says and thinks but im someone who has never been on the track..

Nope...they always say, don't track anything u wouldn't be willing to chuck in the dumpster. Have ya seen my SV650? ;) lol

gottaducati
06-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Hidden costs?

i guess by hidden costs i meant "additional costs" over and above the $250.

but now that i have your attention, CBRBob - you being the track guru and all - what advice would you give someone who was thinking about a track day for the first time? is there anything they should know or do before coming?

Bster13
06-05-2006, 02:02 PM
I'm not Bob, but I like to open my big mouth so...

-Rent a small HP bike or bring one to the track. The smaller the HP the faster your learning curve IMO.

-Check your ego. There are sooooo many fast guys at the track above and beyond us. Just have an open mind, practice exactly what they tell u in the school and I'm sure u'll come out a much better rider after the day is done.

-Hydrate!

gottaducati
06-05-2006, 02:07 PM
Nope...they always say, don't track anything u wouldn't be willing to chuck in the dumpster. Have ya seen my SV650? ;) lol

no i never saw yor bike but i hear ya..i noticed that all you guys seem to have more than one bike (one for the track and one for street)
if i total my bike - im beat. game over. and even if the damage is repairable its still gonna take time and thats time away from riding. new jersey weather only gives us like 5minutes worth of good riding weather so i try to suck up as much of it as i can, ya know.

Cakes206
06-05-2006, 02:14 PM
what advice would you give someone who was thinking about a track day for the first time? is there anything they should know or do before coming?

Generally speaking, aside from having all the gear, and a prepped bike. The #1 thing to do is check the ego at the gate, listen and learn from the coaches. Some people go in with the "I know how to ride, I can ride" attitude. Not a good way to start.

gottaducati
06-05-2006, 03:38 PM
I'm not Bob, but I like to open my big mouth so...

-Rent a small HP bike or bring one to the track. The smaller the HP the faster your learning curve IMO.

-Check your ego. There are sooooo many fast guys at the track above and beyond us. Just have an open mind, practice exactly what they tell u in the school and I'm sure u'll come out a much better rider after the day is done.

-Hydrate!

is that your SV in the photobucket? it doesnt look like a piece of crap - it kinda looks like a ducati monster. i like it. its pretty cool. you wouldnt care if you had to throw that into a dumpster?? altho that doesnt look like a track bike? does it handle well on the track (probably a stupid question)

CAKES:
Generally speaking, aside from having all the gear, and a prepped bike. The #1 thing to do is check the ego at the gate, listen and learn from the coaches. Some people go in with the "I know how to ride, I can ride" attitude. Not a good way to start.

i hear ya man. im not too worried about the ego. i know im not rossi - yet..... :P
im a good listener and im a quick learner so i think i would benefit from a track day but i would be lying if i were to say that im not a little apprehensive taking into consideration all the angles - ya know.

Bster13
06-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Yup that's my SV...wait til u see it up front and person..it's definitely looking beat...and less and less tank capacity all the time! haha

Yeah it would suck to total the bike, but...I guess it's the most disposable of my bikes. It handles GREAT! Ask cakes, I'm sure he'll agree too. :)