PDA

View Full Version : liter bikes

SilverDragon
06-02-2006, 03:36 PM
When do you know that you're ready for one?

I know I'm not ready for one. Other than more power, are there any reasons to get one?

I'm in love with the R1. Not because of its power, but its freakish good looks.

Is it all about the choice of getting on a bullet?

Mach1
06-02-2006, 03:45 PM
I just can't see a reason of going any higher than a 750? Even with that when will you the the total output of these bike??? Unless your on a track. And even with that 600 are sick wit it. A 600 I feel has exellent pwr and liight weight. But yeah I understand exactly what your talking about, The R1 is that sickest most freakish looking bike out there! But DAM SO IS THEIR 600! My next bike is gonna be the R6.

ronin_01r1
06-02-2006, 04:00 PM
i got mine bc it's the bike i fell in love with it when i was first introduced to sportbikes. my friend had a chromed out 2001 R1 with all the trimmings, complete with flames that would shoot out the pipe. i was such a squid.. well, still am. hehe. but seriously, the bike's capabilities far outweigh my riding abilities and i think that helps in times when i make mistakes - like going into a turn to hot and the bike handles it w/ no problems...it just scares the crap out of me and the bike is probably like - is that all you got?!? but these days, as i become more interested in going to the track, a nice 600 would've been nice. the power difference from my previous bike was simply amazing. before, I had a 96 F3, regeared, full exhaust. The R1 accelerates faster in 3rd gear at 3-4k rpm than the 96F3 did in first gear full throttle! i think these days, liter bikes are just so damn fast that any bike will do for most riders.

High_Revs_17
06-02-2006, 04:01 PM
When do you know that you're ready for one? For the street, never.

Other than more power, are there any reasons to get one? No

Is it all about the choice of getting on a bullet? Of course

600's have many advantages on the street; they're lighter, less fuel consumption, cheaper insurance rates, easier on rear tires & other components, more forgiving on power delivery to the rear tire, overall easier handling, aren't overkill for the street.

ronin_01r1
06-02-2006, 04:02 PM
I just can't see a reason of going any higher than a 750? Even with that when will you the the total output of these bike??? Unless your on a track. And even with that 600 are sick wit it. A 600 I feel has exellent pwr and liight weight. But yeah I understand exactly what your talking about, The R1 is that sickest most freakish looking bike out there! But DAM SO IS THEIR 600! My next bike is gonna be the R6.

The R6 is a sick trackbike! :drool:

jcblitz
06-02-2006, 04:03 PM
A liter bike isn't "the next step". If you want a bike to ride the hell out of, 600's are great But if you want to go to bike nights and brag about going 225 on straight aways or feel the need to snicker at people with 600's, then yea, you're ready for a giXXXr or a R1.

JimRBlue
06-02-2006, 04:06 PM
When do you know that you're ready for one? For the street, never. I have to disagree ron.....

Other than more power, are there any reasons to get one? No

Is it all about the choice of getting on a bullet? Of course

600's have many advantages on the street; they're lighter, less fuel consumption, cheaper insurance rates, easier on rear tires & other components, more forgiving on power delivery to the rear tire, overall easier handling, aren't overkill for the street.

Are we discriminating against the 2-up riders here??? When riding 2 up the extra CC's are very much welcome. I myself went through many transitions.

200 cc
400 cc
550 cc
750 cc

High_Revs_17
06-02-2006, 04:07 PM
My next bike is gonna be the R6.

You'll probably end up changing out the sprockets on that to give it a bit more pull in the midrange to compensate for what you're used to on the Ninja.

opinion914
06-02-2006, 04:10 PM
I think for the street, its more fun having the torque of a literbike, the 600's require shifting more often and running higher rpms. On the track its the opposite, give me a 600 anyday. The flickability and the fact that you can be a bit more aggressive w/ the throttle make for a less hair-raising day....for me anyway....

ronin_01r1
06-02-2006, 04:11 PM
A liter bike isn't "the next step". If you want a bike to ride the hell out of, 600's are great But if you want to go to bike nights and brag about going 225 on straight aways or feel the need to snicker at people with 600's, then yea, you're ready for a giXXXr or a R1.

or the kawa zx 14.. go so fast, you can travel through time! :moocow:

Ant
06-02-2006, 04:13 PM
Well, from someone who has actually ridden both on the street, on the track, and made lots of wheelies on both, the liter bikes are fun on the street, scary on the track. Really, they are more relaxed on the street then a 600 and they make MUCH better wheelies stock. I could bounce my Gixxer 1000 up at 100mph in 4th. They are a ton harder to ride though. If you're riding a lot of track, get a 600. If you are cruising on the street, can afford the insurance, and like wheelies, get the 1000. Just be careful.

soda7o
06-02-2006, 04:14 PM
ita boaut how you rife... shit if i woudl think liek you than i aint ready for anythign more than a vespa.. i started on a 900duc.than got a 600 when all thepeopel were sayign start on 250.. i am on a 750 now just cause i got a recockulous deal on it.. i ride an r1 on occasion.. its all bout how much u twist the wrist.. ohyeah and if you can pay the insurance premium...

get what you want..

High_Revs_17
06-02-2006, 04:15 PM
When riding 2 up the extra CC's are very much welcome.

Very true my friend, but your bike is also designed for that purpose. It's extra weight and detuned motor provide the perfect bike for that situation. I can't relate to that cuz I always disliked riding two-up, my bike never felt right during those times being it was only set up for me. :lol:

JimRBlue
06-02-2006, 04:26 PM
Very true my friend, but your bike is also designed for that purpose. It's extra weight and detuned motor provide the perfect bike for that situation. I can't relate to that cuz I always disliked riding two-up, my bike never felt right during those times being it was only set up for me. :lol:

But when the 2nd person is gone... HEHEHE... the extra CC's are even more fun! LOL. I hear ya ron. The weight and the power is def. something you need to respect. The extra pounds can both hurt and help you. and you know Im dying to ride a lighter bike. After so many miles of tossing a heavy bike around its that much more effortless when you get on something lighter.

:boogie:

5wytchBh4kk
06-02-2006, 04:39 PM
since sportbikes are engineered to race, not drive around the street, all the new 1k superbikes are victims of the numbers game between the big four manufacturers. they make insane power in the top end which you will never use on the street, and have nothing on the bottom. i'd say 03 was the last year that any 1k made any kind of torque on the low end, which is beneficial on the street for passing and acceleration. now they all have similar curves to 600s. just more power in the same rpm ranges. for the street i vote for a 1k twin, like an sv, tl or rc. you have the displacement, torque, acceleration, passing power, but not much up top to get out of hand. for the track, 600cc 4 cyl.

SilverDragon
06-02-2006, 04:56 PM
Good thing you say that 'cause if I would buy one, it would be an '03 R1. I'm not at all interested in power. I bow before the power of a 600, let alone the R1.

It just looks so damn good! :D

SAXON117
06-02-2006, 05:44 PM

I know I'm not ready for one. Other than more power, are there any reasons to get one?

when you are talking about the 4 cylinder bike I also agree the 600's are more then enough pushing around 100 ponies or more. But for the :vtwin: riders I do believe the 1k is where its at. they don't put out the sick hp the 4's do. just my thoughts :crazy:

ps the R1 is a beauty! :wow:

RonJ83
06-02-2006, 05:56 PM
if you want it, get it. just make sure you can control yourself. R1 is a good streetbike im sure the power will come in handy at times.

gottaducati
06-02-2006, 06:05 PM

confucious say: "too much of a good thing is a bad thing"

..except when it comes to engines, horsepower, & speed.

get the R1.
:cool:

ImmaSquashYou
06-02-2006, 06:13 PM
well silver dragon, if you know you're not ready for a liter bike, then don't get it. I always wanted a bike, but i knew that i would kill myself once i got it. I literally know i would of gotten hurt because of my immaturity. But now that i had matured a bit and knew i was able and capable to riding a bike without killing myself, i got one. I don't think that i'm ready for a liter bike yet, plus my f4i is wayyyyyy forgiving. I think if it was any other bike, it would of thrown me off in a sec. I personally would just ride a bike that is more comfortable to me rather than be scared of it.

Its exactky like a horse, when the guy riding is not confident, the horse knows and throws them off. While with the same horse but a different rider who is confident and takes control, the horse would never think about throwin the guy off and does whatever its told.

5wytchBh4kk
06-02-2006, 07:32 PM
if you want it, get it. just make sure you can control yourself. R1 is a good streetbike im sure the power will come in handy at times.

+1, summing it up simply. if you like it buy it. a good rider can ride any bike under any conditions.

ps. that pic u posted is 04-current. 02-03s are different.

>>> http://www.dynobike.com/gallery/bikes/images/Yamaha%20YZF%20R1%202003%20Racebike.jpg

pillaka
06-02-2006, 07:44 PM
Almost 2 weeks ago I picked up a Suzuki 2003 GSX-R 1000 Racebike.

For the past 2 seasons and into the current one I've been riding some kind of 600cc sportbike. I've gotten pretty good, not saying I am the fastest guy out there, but most of the time probably quicker than 90% of the people at your typical trackday. After setting my new r6 ablaze I was in the market for something used, I was looking at another 600 but a friend of mine sent me a link for the suzuki I got, I figured what the hell, talked to the guy, and wound up getting it in a few days.

So besides riding my dad's FZ1 a couple times on the street, and my friends 954 on the street for about 10 min, this was my first real time actually getting the chance to flog around and open class sportbike at a racetrack (VIR South & North) memorial day weekend.

Took me about a day and half to get myself aquanted with her. Lots of guys told me, it requires a slightly different riding style. You go slow in, so you get a good line coming out of a turn where you can really put the power down and get that drive out.

Power is something this bike does not lack, the sheer acceleration alone is worth the price. Going down the hill after the LH kink on VIR South the bike had no problem getting the front tire off the ground in 4th gear on the gas. Shifting from 3rd to 4th on any kind of elevation change or bump, the front would pop a few inches off the ground. Just on the straights I was going over 20mph faster till I had to get on the brakes.

Full throttle 5th gear hitting the kink on VIR north, the rpms shoot up as the tire rides closer to the edge, coming out of the kink the revs stay right in the powerband, nothing is like the experiance of feeling the air buffet around my helmet and my back, the engine still hurling you foward - bike gaining more speed and the intake flat out wailing. Just about to bang into 6th the braking markers blast up and I gotta scrub off about 100 mph for turn 1.

End of the day I found that I started to ride it in kinda of a hybrid 600 - 1000 way. I began to brake later and carry a lot of speed going into turns. Soon I started to eat up bikes through the corners, mostly 600's and a few SV's, I would feed the power on coming out in a gear lower and start to get a good exit drive, then once the bike straightened up I would just hammer it full throttle and just beam past people. I was just smiling and laughing in my helmet the whole time. I could always hang with guys on liter bikes on my 600, now I was just getting a good drive on them and constantly getting them on the brakes. I love this thing.

But this bike demands respect, if your inputs are smooth and anticipated it will reward you, if you mistreat it the bike will have no problem throwing you off.

SilverDragon
06-03-2006, 09:31 AM
well silver dragon, if you know you're not ready for a liter bike, then don't get it. I always wanted a bike, but i knew that i would kill myself once i got it. I literally know i would of gotten hurt because of my immaturity. But now that i had matured a bit and knew i was able and capable to riding a bike without killing myself, i got one. I don't think that i'm ready for a liter bike yet, plus my f4i is wayyyyyy forgiving. I think if it was any other bike, it would of thrown me off in a sec. I personally would just ride a bike that is more comfortable to me rather than be scared of it.

Its exactky like a horse, when the guy riding is not confident, the horse knows and throws them off. While with the same horse but a different rider who is confident and takes control, the horse would never think about throwin the guy off and does whatever its told.

I think it has to do with the fact that most riders you talk to will always tell you to respect a liter bike even if they haven't riden one yet. Somewhat like the warnings of learning to ride on a 600. I've never riden a 1k, and have no idea what to expect. That's why I figured I would ask whether or not my precautions are too precautious. :)

Even if I was riding a 250, I would still respect it. It's the same with the 600s I've had. I simply wasn't sure if respect was enough for 1k.

Thanks for the feedback guys... and Pillaka, what a write up! :) niiiice!

bikerguyzx12
06-03-2006, 02:06 PM
SOMEBODY SAID SUMTHIN ABOUT 225 MPH ON A 1000...............NO WAY MAN

NYCSTRIPES
06-03-2006, 02:41 PM
I have a pair of 1000cc twins. I have an 03 RC51 and an 03 TLR track bike. I know you're looking at an R1, it's different for sure. I for one love the torque and power of a liter class twin.
If you're just commuting, then I say wait until you are ready for more. If you're at all unsure of yourself, stick to what you are comfortable with.
Ken

HookRone
06-03-2006, 03:14 PM
Good thing you say that 'cause if I would buy one, it would be an '03 R1. I'm not at all interested in power. I bow before the power of a 600, let alone the R1.

It just looks so damn good! :D

Nice choose in year. :cheers:

Mack
06-03-2006, 04:31 PM
I have a pair of 1000cc twins. I have an 03 RC51 and an 03 TLR track bike. I know you're looking at an R1, it's different for sure. I for one love the torque and power of a liter class twin.
If you're just commuting, then I say wait until you are ready for more. If you're at all unsure of yourself, stick to what you are comfortable with.
Ken

twins rule.....I don't think I ever want to get on an inline again

SPRHK
06-03-2006, 06:37 PM
+1

tweake
06-03-2006, 07:00 PM
+1 +1

gottaducati
06-03-2006, 07:15 PM

:vtwin:

u know it..

High_Revs_17
06-03-2006, 08:22 PM
I'm gonna :puke: with all this :vtwin: :blahblah:

:lol:

SilverDragon
06-04-2006, 03:40 PM
+1, summing it up simply. if you like it buy it. a good rider can ride any bike under any conditions.

ps. that pic u posted is 04-current. 02-03s are different.

>>> http://www.dynobike.com/gallery/bikes/images/Yamaha%20YZF%20R1%202003%20Racebike.jpg

You're right, It's the '04 I was thinking of. Since the '03 R6 is similar to the '05 R6, I confused the two for a sec.

It's the underseat exhaust I like about the R1.

akomplis
06-04-2006, 07:58 PM
It's the underseat exhaust I like about the R1.

Take one for a ride and you will like more than just the underseat exhaust...

Maybe that is what you should do...take one out for a hour or two and see for yourself if you would like to upgrade or not....just keep in mind all the valid/good points mentioned.

JasonB
06-04-2006, 08:15 PM
Liter bikes have A LOT MORE POWER than 600's. If you get one...make sure you control that throttle.

I had a 600 and went to a liter bike. I still haven't used full throttle on it yet. Respect your bike.

SAXON117
06-04-2006, 09:37 PM
I'm gonna :puke: with all this :vtwin: :blahblah:

:lol:

:vtwin: :vtwin: :vtwin: don't be a hater :vtwin: :vtwin: :vtwin:

I say :fart: to you sir

:LOL:

JimRBlue
06-04-2006, 09:58 PM
Liter bikes have A LOT MORE POWER than 600's. If you get one...make sure you control that throttle.

I had a 600 and went to a liter bike. I still haven't used full throttle on it yet. Respect your bike.

Neither have I.

Kennedy
06-04-2006, 11:44 PM
Neither have I.

Liars

High_Revs_17
06-04-2006, 11:55 PM

I hear ya...I was on D's Busa today...first time ever on one...thing's a monster.

Cakes206
06-05-2006, 07:14 AM
I say :fart: to you sir

"I faaart in your general dirrrection"

ps- :vtwin: 's rule!

shamster
06-05-2006, 09:37 AM
I've said this many times and I'll say it again. Most people cannot even outride the capabilities of a Ninja 500. I ride a CBR600RR, and I'll be the first to admit that this is more than enough bike for me, and most others. Even pros have to work hard to push the limits of a 600, so how can most people you see around town outride these pros to the point that they "need" a literbike?

Don't believe me, go to a track day. Nothing is better than watching guys on literbikes getting passed over and over by guys on "little" bikes.

SilverDragon
06-05-2006, 09:47 AM
I've said this many times and I'll say it again. Most people cannot even outride the capabilities of a Ninja 500. I ride a CBR600RR, and I'll be the first to admit that this is more than enough bike for me, and most others. Even pros have to work hard to push the limits of a 600, so how can most people you see around town outride these pros to the point that they "need" a literbike?

Don't believe me, go to a track day. Nothing is better than watching guys on literbikes getting passed over and over by guys on "little" bikes.

I agree with you. The manufacturers also know what they're doing. I wish Yamaha would make the R6 (or at least the R6s) look like the R1. I have a thing for aesthetics. I like to look good even if I'm going 15mph. :)

as much as I like the CBR600RR, with the underseat exhaust, it's still missing that something that the R1 has. The CBR has the brake light angled in, and then the exhaust sticks out again, that bothers the hell out of me!

shamster
06-05-2006, 10:03 AM
Well, different strokes for different folks I guess. I love the CBR's looks, but I do agree that I wish they made exhausts that are more flush with the tail.

I myself am not a Yammie fan at all. I don't like the headlights of the R1 and the older R6 (looks like a mosquito to me). The new R6...forget it! Someone must've been high when designing that thing.

5wytchBh4kk
06-05-2006, 11:36 AM
I agree with you. The manufacturers also know what they're doing. I wish Yamaha would make the R6 (or at least the R6s) look like the R1. I have a thing for aesthetics. I like to look good even if I'm going 15mph. :)

as much as I like the CBR600RR, with the underseat exhaust, it's still missing that something that the R1 has. The CBR has the brake light angled in, and then the exhaust sticks out again, that bothers the hell out of me!

my f4i has more than enough power with all the work done to it, but once i rode my friends r1 there was no looking back. the balance of torque, high end power and handling blew away my 600. yeah, you dont need it, but then again all you really need is air food and water lol.

i agree that yamaha has the most cutting edge styling on their machines, almost ahead of its time, but very tasteful. the lines flow well. no weird perpendicular angles like on some hondas. what about the new r6?

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/products/mcy/500/R6_BLK_3sized.jpg

pretty close to the new r1 minus undertail pipes. the new r1 gives you worse swamp ass than the 600rr, although it runs cooler it has 2 pipes versus 1.

new r1s are dead up to 4-5000 rpms. theyve been regeared from 02-03s. you shouldnt have a problem handling the power as it comes on. its pretty smooth. try asking someone who has made the switch to the bike, they'll probably tell you the same thing. unless you actually rode one its all speculation. do you know anyone personally who owns one and would let you try it?

SilverDragon
06-05-2006, 11:41 AM
I don't like the shortie exhaust. Maybe down the line in a couple of years it'll grow on me.

shamster
06-05-2006, 12:05 PM
The new R6 is just awful as far as appearance! First, the shorty exhaust looks ridiculous. Then the rear fender, which looks like a crane (this of course is easily removable so I won't get too into this one).

The other bad thing is if you look at the bike from the side, the tail looks way too small compared to the rest of the bike. Makes it look very unbalanced from front to back.

The worst has to be the mid-fairing though. It looks so foreign and doens't flow well with the rest of the bike. Looks like someone stuck it on as an afterthought.

Check out the link below...this pretty much summarizes my thoughts of the new R6...
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/cbRRacer/IMG_0170.jpg

Cakes206
06-05-2006, 12:30 PM
The new R6 is just awful as far as appearance! First, the shorty exhaust looks ridiculous.

Blame MotoGP for that. I think its cool though. Especially on the new gix.

crammer
06-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Almost 2 weeks ago I picked up a Suzuki 2003 GSX-R 1000 Racebike.

For the past 2 seasons and into the current one I've been riding some kind of 600cc sportbike. I've gotten pretty good, not saying I am the fastest guy out there, but most of the time probably quicker than 90% of the people at your typical trackday. After setting my new r6 ablaze I was in the market for something used, I was looking at another 600 but a friend of mine sent me a link for the suzuki I got, I figured what the hell, talked to the guy, and wound up getting it in a few days.

So besides riding my dad's FZ1 a couple times on the street, and my friends 954 on the street for about 10 min, this was my first real time actually getting the chance to flog around and open class sportbike at a racetrack (VIR South & North) memorial day weekend.

Took me about a day and half to get myself aquanted with her. Lots of guys told me, it requires a slightly different riding style. You go slow in, so you get a good line coming out of a turn where you can really put the power down and get that drive out.

Power is something this bike does not lack, the sheer acceleration alone is worth the price. Going down the hill after the LH kink on VIR South the bike had no problem getting the front tire off the ground in 4th gear on the gas. Shifting from 3rd to 4th on any kind of elevation change or bump, the front would pop a few inches off the ground. Just on the straights I was going over 20mph faster till I had to get on the brakes.

Full throttle 5th gear hitting the kink on VIR north, the rpms shoot up as the tire rides closer to the edge, coming out of the kink the revs stay right in the powerband, nothing is like the experiance of feeling the air buffet around my helmet and my back, the engine still hurling you foward - bike gaining more speed and the intake flat out wailing. Just about to bang into 6th the braking markers blast up and I gotta scrub off about 100 mph for turn 1.

End of the day I found that I started to ride it in kinda of a hybrid 600 - 1000 way. I began to brake later and carry a lot of speed going into turns. Soon I started to eat up bikes through the corners, mostly 600's and a few SV's, I would feed the power on coming out in a gear lower and start to get a good exit drive, then once the bike straightened up I would just hammer it full throttle and just beam past people. I was just smiling and laughing in my helmet the whole time. I could always hang with guys on liter bikes on my 600, now I was just getting a good drive on them and constantly getting them on the brakes. I love this thing.

But this bike demands respect, if your inputs are smooth and anticipated it will reward you, if you mistreat it the bike will have no problem throwing you off.

I have to agree with you on the comments you made. I have an ’02 R1 that has almost 21k on the clock with about 6 track days a year for the past 4 years under my belt and I couldn’t have said it any better.

To the person that started the thread, when to move up, it’s your call on how comfortable you feel on the 600. If you have buddy’s that have those big ninja bikes, take on of them for a test ride.

RonJ83
06-05-2006, 12:40 PM
the 06 R6 is facking sweet, racefit & termi both dropped gp style exhausts and they make the bike flow really nice. looks & performance wise its still between the gixxer & r6. honda, and kawi needs to step up. silver if you want a great looking bike with undertail check out triumph 6, its nice and its a great ride.

shamster
06-05-2006, 12:46 PM
The shorty exhaust on the Gixxer looks nice...flows well. The same can't be said for that kazoo on the R6 though.

Cakes206
06-05-2006, 01:02 PM
The shorty exhaust on the Gixxer looks nice...flows well. The same can't be said for that kazoo on the R6 though.
I read that and immediately thought of:
http://www.topthat.net/webrock/images/gazoo.gif

:roflmao: :roflmao:

RonJ83
06-05-2006, 01:03 PM

i like that stubby it looks nice, i personally prefer exhausts on the side > undertail > stubby. but you gotta give credit when credit is due. yamaha designed an awesome bike as did suzuki. honda & kawi :jerkit:

shamster
06-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Credit due to the new Gixxer for sure. Suzuki did a great job with that one and hats off to them.

Absolutely no credit on my part goes to Yamaha though. They totally blew it as far as looks go on the new R6. The weird thing is from a few angles, the R6 looks ok, but in most others, it's horrendous.

SilverDragon
06-05-2006, 01:14 PM
Check out the link below...this pretty much summarizes my thoughts of the new R6...
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/cbRRacer/IMG_0170.jpg

Wow! You really feel strongly about this. :) I hear ya though.