PDA

View Full Version : Track day etiquette

crashking
05-23-2006, 12:20 PM
Some observations and things learned:

If you are on a 1000 and keep passing the same 600 on the long straight only to have him/her pass you in the turns...try staying behind them, you might learn something.

Give plenty of room and dont stuff. If you plan your pass via a good drive out, it is safer and just as fun.

You should not crash at a track day. It happens but it shouldnt. If you take someone out, you really f'ed up.

Kennedy
05-23-2006, 12:23 PM
The first thing you said really pisses me off sometimes, and the last well....ha

Rev
05-23-2006, 12:23 PM

If you are on a 1000 and keep passing the same 600 on the long straight only to have him/her pass you in the turns...try staying behind them, you might learn something.

LMFAO....i bet this happends all the time.. :cheers:

High_Revs_17
05-23-2006, 12:35 PM
Great points

GinoE
05-23-2006, 12:44 PM
my observation:

when the liter bikes pass my 650 on the straights, i don't try to keep up. i can see that they all jam up at the turn. by the time they're out, i'm just getting there. i can then concentrate on choosing a good line through it. next thing i know i've caught up with them but they take off again on the straight.

i did experience someone behind me passing me just as we get into a turn off the straight. he came in too hot, went wide and had a yard sale. luckily i did not target-fixate on him.

Cakes206
05-23-2006, 12:46 PM

Give plenty of room and dont stuff. If you plan your pass via a good drive out, it is safer and just as fun.

You should not crash at a track day. It happens but it shouldnt. If you take someone out, you really f'ed up.

Some excellent points made here. To follow up on getting a good drive, myself being on an sv650 rely on getting that drive. And yes you're right, it is so much more fun that way. :ride:

Rev
05-23-2006, 12:50 PM
Moved to track daze section....why..cuz i'm hot as hell!!!!

Ant
05-23-2006, 01:44 PM
Some excellent points made here. To follow up on getting a good drive, myself being on an sv650 rely on getting that drive. And yes you're right, it is so much more fun that way. :ride:

I like getting someone on the brakes...nothing like passing someone while saying I have bigger balls too. lol

Jimmy
05-23-2006, 01:45 PM
You should not crash at a track day.

originally posted by crashking :lol:

Cakes206
05-23-2006, 02:11 PM
:haha: Good call :haha:

crashking
05-23-2006, 03:24 PM
ooops

Lakota
05-23-2006, 03:25 PM
Those are some good points but being on a set up F3 I really enjoy the 1Ks blowing by me in the straights because since I am down on HP it allows me to focus on my cornerspeeds and braking and each lap I try to close the distance or increase the point that they pass me on the straights and the further they have to go to pass me means I am putting that much on them in the technical parts of the track and when running sprint races of either 6 or 8 laps I have a shot at beating them.Now with that said some of them really need to learn what braking is all about .:wtf:

Mack
05-23-2006, 03:36 PM
hell I'm on a 1000 and the new 1K's are passing me down the straights only to slow me down in the turns. I'm still learing so I'm working on the drive out and the late braking thing but yeah I agree....it's just like the street in that aspect....I can fly down the straight but some of the guys are just walking through the more technical bends...just my 2 cents

Kennedy
05-23-2006, 03:51 PM
hell I'm on a 1000 and the new 1K's are passing me down the straights only to slow me down in the turns. I'm still learing so I'm working on the drive out and the late braking thing but yeah I agree....it's just like the street in that aspect....I can fly down the straight but some of the guys are just walking through the more technical bends...just my 2 cents

Your on a 1k v-twin :nod2: Lacks top end :) lol

r6tony
05-23-2006, 07:13 PM
one thing that's great about trackdays, you can pit-in and get away from any liter bike. it's easier than having liter bike issues.

okay, it's only easy when you can get your ego in check and that's @#$!

DougZ
05-24-2006, 01:34 PM
Only the 1000 inline 4's are who you should be talking to. The V-twin bikes are on par with modern 600 inline 4's for power. :)

Fixed: If you are on a gazillion HP inline 4 1000 and keep passing the same 600 on the long straight only to have him/her pass you in the turns...try staying behind them, you might learn something.

High_Revs_17
05-24-2006, 02:45 PM
it's only easy when you can get your ego in check

Another great point...I was under the impression that egos were checked in and left in the parking lot.

DougZ
05-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Another great point...I was under the impression that egos were checked in and left in the parking lot.

Yeah right....have ya been to a track day?? LOL

High_Revs_17
05-24-2006, 03:07 PM
Yeah right....have ya been to a track day?? LOL

I know we understand eachother but, it's not racing, there's no cash, trophy or points awards, so what's the point? Thought it was supposed to be about fun, not competition.

crashking
05-24-2006, 03:25 PM
Ill be at Pocono tomorrow...hope I didnt jinx myself with this post about not crashing..LOL I have seen many people do something stupid and destroy a nice bike, all for a piece of plastic. I guess Im amazed at what some people will do even at a track day. Like the Pace article says its 100% in a race, 80% on the street, a track day should be somewhere in between.

ffejtable
05-24-2006, 03:40 PM
I know we understand eachother but, it's not racing, there's no cash, trophy or points awards, so what's the point? Thought it was supposed to be about fun, not competition.

OMG, thats some funny stuff right there..

I cant just come onto SBA and call out doug for being slow, I also have to demostrate this at the track... Sure its fun, but it sure as hell is competitive, too!

Unfortunately this weekend we will be racing to see who is the slowest guy out there unless things start clicking for me again...

Cakes206
05-24-2006, 03:46 PM
LOL...its funny we all say its not a race, but once you(generally speaking) grid up you almost forget about that statement :lol: couple of things goin on at a track day. Theres some people that are working on some stuff, like getting the line down, certain corners, etc. Then there are others that are trying to beat personal times. Theeen there are the ones that go out with friends they know and kind of slice n dice amongst themselves(we know who we all are :lol: ) And then there are some that are practicing/testing for an upcoming race. SO you have all different levels of "competition" going on, whether it be individually or w/others. I can see how some can say sometimes racing is/can be safer due to everyone being there for the same reason.

High_Revs_17
05-24-2006, 03:51 PM
but it sure as hell is competitive, too!

Competitive with one's self I'm sure, with others only if one allows it to be. Any situation can be turned into a race be it on the street or at the track. I rode on the street with fast riders, but I never felt the need to compete with them even though I had the opportunity, maybe it's just me.

High_Revs_17
05-24-2006, 04:07 PM
its funny we all say its not a race, but once you grid up you almost forget about that statement

Aaaaaaaahhh must exert self control young grasshoppaaaaaaa. :lol:

Jimmy
05-24-2006, 04:22 PM
I think most people at a trackday are riding at 100%, whether you're dicing it up with a buddy or just going for lap times. Crashing is part of the game. It happens. To some more than others. :lol:

I think the difference between trackdays and racing is how aggressive you are in making passes. Aside from that, it's balls out.

r6tony
05-24-2006, 06:57 PM
I think most people at a trackday are riding at 100%, whether you're dicing it up with a buddy or just going for lap times. Crashing is part of the game. It happens. To some more than others. :lol:

I think the difference between trackdays and racing is how aggressive you are in making passes. Aside from that, it's balls out.

BINGO!!! i agree 100%!!!

and it's okay to stay calm and rational until someone passes you when you're not going all out.

DougZ
05-25-2006, 09:05 AM

It its also fun being faster than as many guys out there as you can.....its competitive.

OMG, thats some funny stuff right there..

I cant just come onto SBA and call out doug for being slow, I also have to demostrate this at the track... Sure its fun, but it sure as hell is competitive, too!

Unfortunately this weekend we will be racing to see who is the slowest guy out there unless things start clicking for me again...

Bring it biatch. :D

Roberts
05-25-2006, 10:45 PM

I think the difference between trackdays and racing is how aggressive you are in making passes. Aside from that, it's balls out.I'll have to agree with this too :LOL:

I alway keep some in reserve if i'm close to other people though.

As for the liter problem, fack. I have a 2002 R1 & the '04s and newer's
f'n spank me. I enter & drive out pretty hard out of t10 at Summit Main & they still catch me midpoint on the straight then park it in t1. I can only imagine how frustrating it is for a smaller bike.

njracer
05-26-2006, 12:48 AM

I guess you have never raced.

njracer

Jimmy
05-26-2006, 03:34 PM
I guess you have never raced.

njracer

Nope. What am I missing?

Ant
05-26-2006, 06:15 PM
Nope. What am I missing?

Jimmy, let's get licenses next year and race!

Jimmy
05-26-2006, 06:31 PM
Jimmy, let's get licenses next year and race!

I'd need to get a 600 so we could run in the same class :(