PDA

View Full Version : Potential problem with new track bike, GSXR 600, 2001

DougZ
06-16-2005, 03:23 PM
OK, I got a call from the guy that I am getting the track bike from last night. He is having trouble keeping it running. He says it runs for about a minute and then shuts off. It will start again, but does the same thing.

He said he had done three track days with it, and had no problems on those track days. He let the bike sit for a month, and then when he went to get it ready to bring down to me, he said he is having the issue I described above.

As far as I know the bike is fuel injected. I am hoping that with the number of GSXR owners and Suzuki wrench turners on this site, someone will have some idea for me where to start to solve this issue.

He wanted to try and fix it himself, but I am so anxious to get this bike into my possesion, I am still picking it up today.

Any help or ideas is/are appreciated.

-DougZ

Commuta_Busa
06-16-2005, 03:28 PM
post more on the symptoms... choke on, bike on side stand, ignition on, bike starts, runs fine, no smoke, sounds good... 5 minutes later with no changes in circumstance, then bike dies...

details always help

DougZ
06-16-2005, 03:30 PM
post more on the symptoms... choke on, bike on side stand, ignition on, bike starts... 5 minutes later with no changes in circumstance, then bike dies...

details always help

As far as I know, the bike is fuel injected, so there isn't a choke.

The guy said that he will start the bike and it will run for about a minute and a half, and then shut off again. The bike will restart, but cut off again a minute or so later.

I don't really know more than that.

Commuta_Busa
06-16-2005, 03:48 PM
was he running race gas in it? could be clogged filter, kinked fuel line, vent line clogged, or a few other things...

Cakes206
06-16-2005, 07:15 PM
Hey Doug, yes the 01 Gix 6 is FI'ed...there is a choke but it's not really a choke...more like a fast idle...but it does the same thing...might be a couple of things...low idle...should be around 1200rpms...or...and I have no idea if this could be it but I'm guessing for fuel to come out...air must go in...so maybe theres a tank vent might be pinched...tell him to open the gas cap and start it up...see if it still stalls...if you can find out any more symptoms let us know...good luck...

ps...if you ever need...I have a spare 01 gix 6 motor w/500 miles I'll sell ya ;)

Ripp53
06-17-2005, 12:06 AM
where do you live if your around me i could come and check it out

DougZ
06-17-2005, 08:31 AM
UPDATE: Picked up the bike last night. On my way home, stopped at Jeff's and Omar show up too. We all looked it over and it seems to be a fuel issue, but more so, an idle issue.

The bike will warm up for 30 seconds or so, and then when the "warm up cycle" stops, the bike goes so low in idle, it dies, or wants to, if you don't hold on the throttle a bit. It may just be something as simple as adjusting the idle up. We(Omar) did do a maguyver test of the TPS, and said that it was fine.

There is definately a side issue, which may or may not be related, of the tank getting undeer pressure when the bike is running. I started the bike up last night after I got it home, and after it died, I would undo the gas cap, and a large hissing vacuum sound would come, as I was undoing the cap. No doubt, the tank is under vacuum when running, but probably shouldn't be.....so I need to figure out why and how to correct. It does have one of those Vortex screw in filler cap now...maybe I should put the stock one back on.

Thanks again for any help or ideas

Ripp53
06-18-2005, 01:01 AM
the hissing in the tank shouldn't be there sounds like the vent for the tank is block. as for the idle the should be a little black nob on the left side of the motor above the shifter that you can ajust the idle.

DougZ
06-18-2005, 09:00 PM
Hey Doug, yes the 01 Gix 6 is FI'ed...there is a choke but it's not really a choke...more like a fast idle...but it does the same thing...might be a couple of things...low idle...should be around 1200rpms...or...and I have no idea if this could be it but I'm guessing for fuel to come out...air must go in...so maybe theres a tank vent might be pinched...tell him to open the gas cap and start it up...see if it still stalls...if you can find out any more symptoms let us know...good luck...

ps...if you ever need...I have a spare 01 gix 6 motor w/500 miles I'll sell ya ;)

Joe, PM me about the spare motor. I don't think mine is that messed but, it would be fun to have something to work on in the off season, and maybe work that motor.

Price?
Electronics/comp/harness included?
milage?

Thanks.

Cakes206
06-29-2005, 12:12 AM
as for the idle the should be a little black nob on the left side of the motor above the shifter that you can ajust the idle.

Thats for the 750 and 1K...it's actually different on a 6...need to look between the tank and the frame on the left side and you'll see the idle screw there...need a screwdriver.

Oh crap...now that I think about it, Doug, I got a spare fuel pump that I know has nothing wrong with it, if you want to try it you're more than welcome to!

DougZ
06-29-2005, 08:26 AM
Thats for the 750 and 1K...it's actually different on a 6...need to look between the tank and the frame on the left side and you'll see the idle screw there...need a screwdriver.

Oh crap...now that I think about it, Doug, I got a spare fuel pump that I know has nothing wrong with it, if you want to try it you're more than welcome to!

Ok, thanks Joe. I'll take you up on the spare fuel pump.

Just an update, since I was telling people in the shoutbox and not the threads.

The guys at Omar's dealership dove into the engine and came to realize after doing compression and leak down testing that the motor is tired, very tired. There is a lot of leakage and the motor is serious need of a rebuild or replacement. There was so much leakage, that enough vacuum wasn't being generated for things to run right.

They got it running as good as the could, sinked the TB's and some other things, so it now runs better than when I brought it there, but still crappy. I am still gonna try to squeeze out one more day at summit with it, but then its getting a new motor after that.

Joe, I am still up in the air about your motor. Let me know if the coach ends up buying it or not. Thanks.

Cakes206
07-02-2005, 06:16 PM
Still want me to bring the fuel pump to Summit?

DougZ
07-05-2005, 10:14 AM
Still want me to bring the fuel pump to Summit?

What fuel pump...LOL. :nod2: