PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle airbag test

High_Revs_17
05-16-2006, 04:40 PM
Put that sucker on a sportbike!

CLICKY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4JACzIEa1w&search=goldwings%20)

duc748pilot
05-16-2006, 04:42 PM
yea...good luck with that. that thing will cause its own types of injuries

jcblitz
05-16-2006, 04:46 PM
That's a pretty bad ass stoppie. I'd like to see them test it in other scenerio's and what the effects are.

High_Revs_17
05-16-2006, 04:48 PM
It only seems to be good for head-on impacts, and what's one of the most common/worst things to happen on the road...a cager pulls out infront of you.

High_Revs_17
05-16-2006, 04:50 PM
that thing will cause its own types of injuries

Like......? Who would you rather want to be, the dummy in the first test, or the dummy in the second one?

Take that sucker off the street/track bike conversion in the future and sell it...the airbag vest/body suit should do well on the track though.

duc748pilot
05-16-2006, 04:59 PM
Ive sat through numerous classes on airbags. Trust me, an airbag is released at around 200 mph.....its not a soft pillow people think. air in a kevlar bag moving at 200 mph, will break your neck, esp with the aid of the surface area and hard surface a helmet has and the fact that on a motorcycle, you are so close to where that bag is released from. i personally dont like airbags. A: i see too many injuries that would of been prevented if they didnt activate....and B: the danger it puts us in while extrication is being performed. cut into a gas cylinder with a o-cutter or spread it with the jaws....not fun.

High_Revs_17
05-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Ive sat through numerous classes on airbags. Trust me, an airbag is released at around 200 mph.....its not a soft pillow people think. air in a kevlar bag moving at 200 mph, will break your neck, esp with the aid of the surface area and hard surface a helmet has and the fact that on a motorcycle, you are so close to where that bag is released from. i personally dont like airbags. A: i see too many injuries that would of been prevented if they didnt activate....and B: the danger it puts us in while extrication is being performed. cut into a gas cylinder with a o-cutter or spread it with the jaws....not fun.

I've experienced airbag deployment after some dipshit decided to make a quick left infront of my car at 40mph, and I walked away unharmed, but that's a car.

On a bike I'd rather be deflected by and airbag then have my body make full contact with a steel vehicle, either way the rider's going to hit something in that scenario so it might as well be something that's willing to give, ie inflate and deflate quickly.

Of course there are always injuries in accidents, but you never answered my question from before, which guy would you rather be in those tests, the one with the airbag or the one without?

JimRBlue
05-16-2006, 05:41 PM
It sounds like the idea may have potential.. But what about an accidental activation?

High_Revs_17
05-16-2006, 05:46 PM
But what about an accidental activation?

Regarding what Jim?

gottaducati
05-16-2006, 08:51 PM
thats pretty wild but who rides those gigantic bikes? that shit might as well be a car its so damn big.

ffejtable
05-17-2006, 08:31 AM
who rides goldwings? i dunno i dont think anybody rides those things, ive never seen them on the road before...

(end sarcasm)

duc748pilot
05-17-2006, 09:39 AM
in that scenario as they tested it, i would obviously rather have the bag. In other scenarios it is questionable. very questionable.

southjersey636
05-21-2006, 09:11 PM
I thought they already were putting the airbag on the 06-07 Goldwings?