PDA

View Full Version : breaking in new leathers

Gear Dog
05-09-2006, 07:40 AM
My wife loves her tuscadero but it bunches in the elbows. It looks like if the leather was a little more flexable she would be ok with it. since she doesn't ride enough to break it in I was wondering if there was a leather conditioner that I can use to fix the problem. Other than the arms she really loves the way the jacket fits..

Hassmaschine
05-09-2006, 08:06 AM
Yeah, they make all sortsa stuff... my father-in-law has been in the leather business for about 30 years now, I'll give him a shout and get back to you, but I know there are tricks to getting that broken in feel without even wearing it once..

Cakes206
05-09-2006, 09:05 AM
Don't keep it on a hanger, toss it in the trunk of the car let it move aound. The heat in the trunk will help losen it up.

High_Revs_17
05-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Don't keep it on a hanger, toss it in the trunk of the Cadillac let it move aound. The heat in the trunk will help losen it up.

I knew you were Italian. :lol:

njf4i
05-09-2006, 04:42 PM
Yeah when i got my jacket it was January and wearing it around my house just wasn't working. So i tossed it in the back of my truck for about a week and noticed a difference. Don't remember where i heard that from but it worked.

Hassmaschine
05-10-2006, 07:52 AM
After speaking to a professional about it... nothings clearer. :D

Basically, the way they do it in leather factories, to keep the finish in-tact and maintain the leather best they put the leather jackets of this caliber in a large drum that basically simulates wearing it. It 'tumbles' the jacket.. his best recommendation was just wearing it, and or hand crumbling it again and again.

And old trick we used to use was wear the jacket and find the places you have the most stiffness (shoulders, elbows, wherever), and put the jacket on a stiff surface simulating the 'stiffest' part by folding the jacket up on itself in that section(s), and put weight on it... let it sit overnight, and then reverse the fold...

IE: If the arms/elbows are stiff, put the jacket on the floor, roll up the arms as best you can, and put a flat weight on it (or anything to keep it rolled up overnight), then the next night reverse the roll...

Gear Dog
05-10-2006, 07:59 AM
Cool thanks for all of the input. I think I'm gonna do both put it in the trunk and roll up the sleeves. There is plenty of crap that I can lay on top of it there.

gottaducati
05-10-2006, 04:35 PM
i read this in motorcycle magazine or was it playboy? who knows:

"the best way to break in new leathers is to have sex in them...preferably with more than one girl."

Rev
05-10-2006, 04:47 PM
i read this in motorcycle magazine or was it playboy? who knows:

"the best way to break in new leathers is to have sex in them...preferably with more than one girl."

LMFAO..i clicked this thread to comment pretty much what u just said....damn .. great minds think a like.. :moocow:

ImmaSquashYou
05-10-2006, 07:10 PM
well, i knwo there's like a leather cleaner. Its like a lotion that prevents its cracks and everything. What it does actually is soften up the leather so it won't crack. Also cleans it too. I dunno what its called right now. But i can check later tonight since its at home.

gottaducati
05-10-2006, 11:16 PM
well, i knwo there's like a leather cleaner. Its like a lotion that prevents its cracks and everything. What it does actually is soften up the leather so it won't crack. Also cleans it too. I dunno what its called right now. But i can check later tonight since its at home.

...so let me get this str8, you rub lotion in your crack to keep it soft???
nice :nod2: