PDA

View Full Version : Mont-Tremblant and Shannonville My .02 cents...

IrocRob
05-06-2006, 06:26 PM
I've just returned from three trackdays in Canada and here's the news brief:

Mont-Tremblant: Repaved in 2004, this track is SMOOTH, FAST
and FUN, and I can't emphasize this enough - GO THERE!!!
There is plenty of elevation change, and many great turns.
We ended up a bit lucky with the weather, we had 2 beautiful days
with just a sprinkle of rain coming in during the last session of day two.
This place is damn near perfect...I want more...

Shannonville: I enjoyed the track, but not nearly as much as Mont-Tremblant.
This is much like Pocono, just bigger.
There is almost zero elevation change, and only a few corners that I considered fun.
It's definately a challenge and well worth it if you enjoy the work, but I wouldn't be
traveling there just for Shannonville. I would go back if
it's connected with more time at Mont-Tremblant or maybe 2 days at Mosport.

Anyway, that's my .02 cents - If you went to either of these
two track days this week, tell us what you think.

High_Revs_17
05-06-2006, 06:48 PM
Was funny when I got ur text on Thursday...post up pics if you have any!

ffejtable
05-06-2006, 07:02 PM
Pretty much what rob said...

Tremblant is the fastest track I have been on, almost every turn you are on the gas hard... Perhaps the best track I have been on if my head was on right.

Shannonville was a disappointment. The road surface was anywhere between perfect and aweful. The only perfect part was the turn coming off the back straight that was new pavement. The rest of the course had patches everywhere, some not so friendly bumps in the wrong places and the pavement was course in others. At one point I hit a bump so hard my left foot came off the peg and I started to drag my foot along the ground..

In all fairness I wasnt riding like my usual self though... I think after my street incident a few weeks ago I have been riding with a lot of fear, and that held me back considerably at Tremblant. 2nd session of the second day at tremblant I tucked the front and made friends with the pavement. The rubber I left behind will probably be there a few more weeks. :) That only set my riding back even further. I took it easy the rest of the day (in White at my request) with the backup bike which felt good at Tremblant, but it was a chore to handle at Shannonville. Dave made some quick suspension adjustments for me and I followed him around for 2 sessions, but it wasnt enough to clear my head of whatever it needed clearing of.

Hopefully 2 days at VIR on a track I am familiar with will help... It really sucks when you arent riding well and you know it and nothing seems to help.

Dave (Mack) got bumped to Red without ever officially riding white group... He did ART basic and he was the only guy in white at Shannonville so they combined groups (can you say TONS of track time for us with only 2 groups out)... Less than 25 people showed up friday.

Philthy also got bumped to Red at tremblant... I dont think he is on this site..

Congrats to both.

Mack
05-07-2006, 09:20 AM
Well since I was one of the 25 at shannonville had a ton of track time. Although I have to agree I loved the track thought it definately needed to be completely repaved. The race line wasn't horrible but once you got off of it the conditions were a little tricky.

Although like I said I thought it was well worth the trip..

Road 2 days and probably got 4 days worth of track time. Friday and Saturday both only ran two groups. Did rain a little Saturday then cleared so in the moring it was just open track with all of 5 people there. Had a great time definately worth the trip I thought but I wouldn't make it again unless another track was involved and it was a week effort.

I did get bumped up to red group so I was excited about that. Other then that no incidents to report and I've made it home alive. Good hanging with Rob and Jeff at the track and see everyone at VIR at the end of the month.

Cakes206
05-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Excellent, congratz on gettin the bump Dave. Sounds like good times for the most part. Hmm, might have to check it out if they do a Mt. T/Mosport tour.

Ant
05-07-2006, 09:46 AM
Pretty much what rob said...

Tremblant is the fastest track I have been on, almost every turn you are on the gas hard... Perhaps the best track I have been on if my head was on right.

Shannonville was a disappointment. The road surface was anywhere between perfect and aweful. The only perfect part was the turn coming off the back straight that was new pavement. The rest of the course had patches everywhere, some not so friendly bumps in the wrong places and the pavement was course in others. At one point I hit a bump so hard my left foot came off the peg and I started to drag my foot along the ground..

In all fairness I wasnt riding like my usual self though... I think after my street incident a few weeks ago I have been riding with a lot of fear, and that held me back considerably at Tremblant. 2nd session of the second day at tremblant I tucked the front and made friends with the pavement. The rubber I left behind will probably be there a few more weeks. :) That only set my riding back even further. I took it easy the rest of the day (in White at my request) with the backup bike which felt good at Tremblant, but it was a chore to handle at Shannonville. Dave made some quick suspension adjustments for me and I followed him around for 2 sessions, but it wasnt enough to clear my head of whatever it needed clearing of.

Hopefully 2 days at VIR on a track I am familiar with will help... It really sucks when you arent riding well and you know it and nothing seems to help.

Dave (Mack) got bumped to Red without ever officially riding white group... He did ART basic and he was the only guy in white at Shannonville so they combined groups (can you say TONS of track time for us with only 2 groups out)... Less than 25 people showed up friday.

Philthy also got bumped to Red at tremblant... I dont think he is on this site..

Congrats to both.

Just keep crashing and you get over it. Trust me. :lol: Glad to hear you are ok though.

IrocRob
05-07-2006, 09:48 AM
...Hmm, might have to check it out if they do a Mt. T/Mosport tour...

That is exactly what I suggested to TPM's Linda on Friday at Shannonville.

A Mosport/Mont-Tremblant week would be awesome.

JasonB
05-07-2006, 10:23 AM
I'm jealous...good to see that you are ok Jeff

High_Revs_17
05-07-2006, 11:46 AM
Good deal on the bump Dave, and I'm not surprised one bit to hear it.

Don't sweat it Jeff, it doesn't matter if it's the street or the track, we all have our off days.

ffejtable
05-08-2006, 08:57 AM
Just keep crashing and you get over it. Trust me. :lol: Glad to hear you are ok though.

Thats what I am afraid of.. I dont want to be comfortable with crashing :)

I always thought crashing, even at low speeds would hurt..... a lot...

Thanks for the kind words... Like I said physically I am ok, but I am a mess out there mentally.. Make sure I am in the back on group rides this year. ;)

DougZ
05-08-2006, 09:27 AM
Sounds like you all had a good time, even with the crashes, which always suck.

Ant
05-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Thats what I am afraid of.. I dont want to be comfortable with crashing :)

I always thought crashing, even at low speeds would hurt..... a lot...

Thanks for the kind words... Like I said physically I am ok, but I am a mess out there mentally.. Make sure I am in the back on group rides this year. ;)

Well, it took me about 4 or 5 before I stopped caring. I mean I care but I can almost always identify a situation where there is a good chance of a crash coming up and I avoid it. Just get out there and ride and you'll be ok.

ronin_01r1
05-08-2006, 09:39 AM
sounds like u all had an awesome time! congrats on ur bump dave!

Taz
05-08-2006, 10:09 AM
Sounds like you had a good time. Jeff glad your ok.

Dave congrats on bump to red. Didn't take you long. :)

Mack
05-08-2006, 12:30 PM
Sounds like you had a good time. Jeff glad your ok.

Dave congrats on bump to red. Didn't take you long. :)

yeah I did art basic....one day when I ran with red as the only white guy then got bumped.....I'm pretty happy with that

njf4i
05-08-2006, 04:19 PM
yeah I did art basic....one day when I ran with red as the only white guy then got bumped.....I'm pretty happy with that
Show off. :ride:

High_Revs_17
05-08-2006, 04:24 PM
yeah I did art basic....one day when I ran with red as the only white guy then got bumped

So your form in hanging off the bike probably looks good at this point.