PDA

View Full Version : Tire Help

JimRBlue
05-02-2006, 04:13 PM
Tire Help

In time I will be needing new tire(s)

Bike Info '03 FZ1

Original Tires ( http://www.sportrider.com/tech/tires/bridgestone_bt020_motorcycle_tires/ )
Bridgestone BT020F U

Rear 180/55/ZR17

Front 120/70/ZR17

The first question I had was this.. Since the rear is wearing at a faster rate What are the problems with only replacing the rear as opposed to both at the same time? Will the differences in age/ wear be that great? How much will the handling be changed by this?

The main reason is I was also not sure which tire is best for my type of riding. I know this is more of a "rider specific" question. I do a fair amount of riding and tend to add miles quite quickly. (Already past 10K in 13 months) I also ride in just about all riding conditions except rain when avoidable. I do not ride all that crazy but once in a while have fun in the twisties. :boogie:

Price is not the biggest concern. I have never found it wise to skimp on tires since that is your contact patch with life.

I have been kicking around the following but could use some feedback as to reasonable expected mileage, personal exp. , reviews, etc.

Metzeler Sportec M1
Metzeler Sportec M3

Michelin Pilot Sport HPX

Another OEM / Stock set

Diablo's

Thanks.

Rock712
05-02-2006, 04:25 PM
FYI Pirelli now owns Metzler

I have the Pirelli Diablo Strata which is supposely the same as the M6,

I like it.....

jcblitz
05-02-2006, 04:29 PM
I've only ridden on M1's and d207/208's. I like the M1's without question between those two. But I cannot speak for the others.

JimRBlue
05-02-2006, 04:31 PM

I like it.....

Thanks rock.. You are making me date myself now.,., Its been a while.. and the ME-88's were great back in the bias ply days..
:doh:

Rock712
05-02-2006, 04:41 PM
My bad the Diable Strada is supposely the same as the Roadtec Z6

Cakes206
05-02-2006, 04:56 PM
+ 10K miles? I say change both. :2cents:

MPtotheFZ
05-02-2006, 09:05 PM

I like it.....

Just read an article in a magazine that even though Pirelli purchased Metzler, they are still manufactured in the same old seperate factories, with the same original specs.

High_Revs_17
05-03-2006, 12:56 AM
the ME-88's were great back in the bias ply days..
:doh:

Would you stop throwing kudos to those damn bias plys! :lol:

I'm with Cakes, change out the set. Even though you have tread on the front the old front won't feel as well as a new front, then it will wear down faster than the new rear and you'll have the opposite effect regarding wear all over again.

Call Ron at WCW, he can also give you some insight on a set of high mileage great handling sport touring tires.

These are also great for you. I ran hard with these Dunlops on my bike for years and they stuck like glue, were also excellent in the rain. The Avon's are equal if not better than the Dunlops as well regarding performance and mileage.

Avon: http://www.avonmotorcycle.com/us/en/Product.asp?ProdType=SportTouring

Dunlop: http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=74

njf4i
05-03-2006, 05:59 AM
I love my diablo corsas. Got a good deal from Ron at wcw.

RCM78
05-03-2006, 06:23 AM
If your getting that kinda mileage out of the stock tires then stick with those. Any of the other tires mentioned will be done in half the time. Especially the M1's, Mine only lasted about 3000 miles on the street...

JimRBlue
05-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Appreciate all the info /. feedback. This may be a tough choice as I am reading good reviews on all of them and they seem to be pretty close in the price department as well.

JimRBlue
05-07-2006, 09:44 PM
After much debate I decided to try the Metzeler Sportec M1's Should be here Tuesday. Ron at WCW had a good deal on them. While I don't make a habbit of bashing Bike shops, green brook cycle was way over priced and seemed to only push the Dunlop qualifiers.

southjersey636
05-12-2006, 10:52 PM
I run M1's and overaul love em. Barely any warmup time, grippy as can be, good feedback, overaul a good tire.

gottaducati
05-12-2006, 11:46 PM
michelin pilots

...my 2 cents

ImmaSquashYou
05-13-2006, 12:03 AM
michelin pilot powers, not the michelin pilot sports. I'm currently on the powers, dunno how the sports were on the bike, but i can tell you they were one of the best in the cars. This is why i wanted to get something similiar, but the powers were newer and actually was used to race. Although the compound is a lil different. I believe there were 3 kinds. Soft, medium and hard. Soft of course being the lowest life, and the hard being the highest. I'm pretty sure that i bought the medium, but dunno if i chose the hard. The powers have a really really low warm up time. And they stick really well. Do great in the rain. I've rode about 3.5k on them, and it seems like new still. Def worth getting imo.....

Rock712
05-13-2006, 10:02 AM
My motorcycle came OEM with the Pilot sports, they are grippy but the rear tire was bald at 6500 miles, I stretched the front tire to 10200 miles...... I'm going with sport touring tires....

JimRBlue
05-14-2006, 09:10 PM
So I saw!! LOL So far I really like the M-1's.. Will just have to see what kind of mileage I get out of them.

Rock712
05-14-2006, 09:11 PM
hey ride'em till the wheel's fall off!!!!!!

JimRBlue
05-14-2006, 09:19 PM
will do.. they proved themselves in that downfall over the weekend,