PDA

View Full Version : trackday headlight tape

GinoE
04-28-2006, 10:52 PM
i got these as a gift for my sv650s

LIGHT LIDZ (http://sportbikedecals.safeshopper.com/615/cat615.htm?966) <---clicky linky

dunno if i should use them since i take her to the track - you think they qualify as 'taping' up the headlights?

John712
04-28-2006, 11:09 PM
i got a superman cover on mine, same material and they said i still have to tape it up.

CBRBob
04-28-2006, 11:48 PM
Wax/polish the lenses and use blue painters tape. If its damp at all, use duct tape. The painters tape will come off.

NYCSTRIPES
04-29-2006, 01:40 AM
Just remember to disconnect the lights, the heat generated by yous light will ensure any kind of adhesive will permanently become one with your lenses.
Ken

High_Revs_17
04-29-2006, 04:36 AM
It's my understanding that one's supposed to tape up the lights to prevent the plastic from shattering and becoming debris on the track. So if one pulls the fuse for the lights and applies that custom head light covering to the lense why would it fail tech inspection?

CBRBob
04-29-2006, 06:02 AM
TPM allows that 'custom' lens cover. No matter what route you choose, no light should come through. We see tail lights with one layer of tape and see when the brake light comes on.

pillaka
04-30-2006, 10:41 PM
Blue painters tape can withstand high temperatures

BurnCycle
05-01-2006, 08:10 AM
I've always pulled the fuses (both high and low) for the headlights when taping up the front and pulled the connection for the tail lights. I also use a vinyl tape that would melt under the heat if I didn't.

John712
05-01-2006, 08:18 AM
TPM allows that 'custom' lens cover. No matter what route you choose, no light should come through. We see tail lights with one layer of tape and see when the brake light comes on.

is this true..? not for argument sake, but i had to duck tape mine. not that i cared. i was gonna do it anyways but i forgot to do it :lol:
but thats what they told me at tech. it was the oriental guy, i dont know his name though. but you might know who he is :)

Cakes206
05-01-2006, 01:59 PM
is this true..? not for argument sake, but i had to duck tape mine. not that i cared. i was gonna do it anyways but i forgot to do it :lol:
but thats what they told me at tech. it was the oriental guy, i dont know his name though. but you might know who he is :)

Dafan.

NYCSTRIPES
05-04-2006, 06:07 AM
Speaking of the painters tape, don't leave it on your gas tank with your name/shift pattern for any real length of time, difficult to remove later. Ask me how I know.
Ken

Barbi
05-04-2006, 08:53 AM
and speed! :lol:

Cakes206
05-04-2006, 09:28 AM
:doh:

CBRBob
05-04-2006, 09:32 AM
Speaking of the painters tape, don't leave it on your gas tank with your name/shift pattern for any real length of time, difficult to remove later. Ask me how I know.
Ken

Hint: if you have a dedicated trackbike go to a sign shop and have lettering made up in 3/8" letters.

If you have a street bike you use, get one of those refrigerator magnets about 2"x4" and cover it with white vinyl tape and write your info on it with a perm. marker. That way, you can take it off because there is no adhesive. (does not work on plastic tanks though :ride: