PDA

View Full Version : back protector? Leather??

ImmaSquashYou
04-27-2006, 04:11 AM
So i'm thinking of a new jacket right now. I have currently a joe rocket rasp jacket (textile) that has pretty good protection. The only thing i'm worried is the neck. Thats why i was looking into the joe rocket speedmaster jacket (leather) which has an aerodynamic back hump which protects the helmet going too far back, almost like a football player collar thing. My question is, how many of you wear back protectors?? For those who own a jacket with the hump, do you use a back protector?? or should i just get a back protector n keep the old jacket and not worry about the hump? Or buy a back protector and the new jacket. Also, how hot is too hot for leathers?? I rode like a week ago when it was like 75 out, i had all the vents opened, and i wasn't that cool. I can only imagine at like 90. Reason is, i don't want to be buying a new jacket and then stick with the old one because it'll be too hot for the leather....i can always wear like a neck guard, but they look a lil silly. I know gear is cheaper than skin, but i was just wondering if the new leather is better than the old textile with back protector or vice versa

http://www.newenough.com/joe_rocket_speedmaster_jacket_page.htm

P.S. The alpinestars S-MX airflow jacket is out of my price range....

benellis
04-27-2006, 06:10 AM
I really don't know how much protection an aero hump offers if any at all, as far as leathers go, if it is a dedicated ride, I would wear leathers. If I was going to an event or gathering, I don't wanna show up drenched, then I would wear textile, (sometimes nothing at all for me) it is really your decision.
Back protectors work by not allowing your back to bend a lot, a back protector is also pretty hard, so its like having a shell on. I occasionally ride with a back protector on under my jacket.

AfricanBootyScratcher
04-27-2006, 07:02 AM
I use a textile on the street, with a backprotector

njf4i
04-27-2006, 07:04 AM
I love my speedmaster jacket. I wear it almost everytime i ride. Luckily i haven't crashed yet to check out the hump, but i imagine it would help a little more than a jacket without a hump.

Oh and you look really cool with the hump on. :D

Ant
04-27-2006, 09:10 AM
Hump doesn't really do anything in my opinion. But a back protector will. In my Vanson jacket I have a 4 plate back protector. In my race suit I wear a Bohn back protector. Worth every penny.

PitsVtec
04-27-2006, 09:14 AM
If your jacket is in good condition, buy a protector for the underneath. If not, get a new jacket and talk to me about that before you buy one!

High_Revs_17
04-27-2006, 02:34 PM
I believe the hump would offer more upper spinal protection as well as decreasing the buffeting effect the wind causes as it leaves the back of your helmet at highway speeds. If you can swing the extra cash for a leather with a hump then go for it, if not then a nice leather with the back protector is always a plus as well.

JimRBlue
04-27-2006, 03:40 PM
Leather with a armor is a starting point. The perf leather jackets are much cooler in the warmer weather, and with the liner they are almost a 10 month of the year jacket. I realize this my spark the debate about perf. leather vs solid to which point I can't answer due to lack of road contact experience.

ImmaSquashYou
04-27-2006, 04:22 PM
If your jacket is in good condition, buy a protector for the underneath. If not, get a new jacket and talk to me about that before you buy one!

don't worry pits, i was gonna talk to u bout it soon. And also i was thinking about a shoei...-= ) But i'm leaning more towards just getting a back protector and not get a leather. I honestly don't know if i can stand the heat in the leather and really afraid i'm not gonna wear it. you guys might argue with me, but to me, its not worth $400 if i'm going to be wearing it only like 3 months out of the year. Last year i saw a guy with a leather on, i was in the car in the ac and thought, oh man, he's gonna have a heat stroke. I don't even know what i'm going to do anymore...

Any of you guys seen a back protector that has a hump to protect your neck??

NYCSTRIPES
04-27-2006, 04:32 PM
There are lots of pics on the web with guys displaying some serious road rash from a mesh jacket. Mesh is better than nothing, but never as good as quality leather with high quality armor.
+1 about the back hump, just an aerodynamic feature that most of us aren't fast enough to take advantage of. They offer no protection.
Another option is a quality leather with separate under armor suit like those offered from Bohn Armor. You should have a look, I use the padded shorts beneath my track leathers to have some hip/tailbone protection.
Ken

ImmaSquashYou
04-27-2006, 04:46 PM
There are lots of pics on the web with guys displaying some serious road rash from a mesh jacket. Mesh is better than nothing, but never as good as quality leather with high quality armor.
+1 about the back hump, just an aerodynamic feature that most of us aren't fast enough to take advantage of. They offer no protection.
Another option is a quality leather with separate under armor suit like those offered from Bohn Armor. You should have a look, I use the padded shorts beneath my track leathers to have some hip/tailbone protection.
Ken

thanks!!! i was searching online and really couldn't found out if the hump really helped or not. I do have a aerodynamic thing on my back already (my bookbag) -= ) Now that a hump is not needed, i get like 1000 more options as of what jacket i need. i was looking into the teknic 7 plate, but the bohn looks awesome expecially with the carbon. I actually wanna find the one that the skiers use in the olympics, its called like space cushion or something, its soft until impact, it gets as hard as needed be. But prob WAY too expensive

AfricanBootyScratcher
04-28-2006, 12:15 AM
I have this, I like it much
http://www.highvelocitygear.com/productpages/mpba.html
you can zip off the back protector and use it alone under snug fitting leathers, or keep it together and where the whole jacket alone or under another jacket