PDA

View Full Version : Summit Point Main 24/04

BurnCycle
04-25-2006, 08:14 AM
Yes, I did get a few “what kind of bike is that?” comments! The 2-1 did throw a few off a few people looking at the bike.

I pitted with RyanNJ (TLZ member), his brother Matt and Amir (a tag along for the day). The fairings I have on the TLR are from Ryan’s old TL so it was like he was riding against his old bike, well, somewhat anyway.

I started the day in the White (beginner) group as I had done for the last 3-years. Since this was the first for both riding this bike since its build up and riding a TLR, I welcomed the slower morning pace of the beginner group. Tech inspection was a little iffy since no one liked the feel of the Brembo MC while static. I was still apprehensive as well but had a few options should I need to make a chance (like another bike).

The entire first session was a learning experience. First up on the notice list…
1. 1/4" padding on a GP style tail and Woodcraft rearsets make movement hard.
2. The spongy feel of the Brembo MC while static was not the case while being used.
3. It goes around turns!
4. That front wheel is real light.
5. Not having a kick stand sucks but is livable.

OK, a few more sessions go by and although I find myself fighting for a usable position on the bike it is moving around the track a lot easier than my TLS did. Power at the top end is well above that of my TLS. I re-geared it to 17/41 but spent a lot of the day bouncing off 11k RPM. I may end up going 16/40 or 41 after all for this track. Since the power is at a higher point on the TLR I found the front to feel lighter than I did with the TLS. Over some crests I had the front lifting on me which I only noticed at first when the front would come back down and I felt it in the bars. The brakes which had been my biggest concern performed brilliantly. Yes, they had the same feel as static but so much power behind them stopping was not as issue. Even when diving down from (an estimated) 160 for the hairpin T1 at Summit with the rear swaying trying to get around the front.

Just before lunch I got evaluation for the bump into Red group. The TLR had been running better than I expected and I felt it was time to move up. The evaluation went very well. I had a lot of clear space to run and took my time with traffic (but got by it) which scored well. I let the coach know I had been doing this for a while, got some good insight from him and got my sticker to run Red (Intermediate) after lunch.

Now Ryan and I would be able to run together. He took lead the first time he headed out. I was getting use to the faster pace while fighting for position on the bike but was able to keep him in sight through traffic (both passing and being passed). The next time out I took the lead and was able to maintain a good pace which I was very pleased with. Ryan then took the next lead but I was becoming more comfortable on the bike and pulled off a nice pass just before T4 on the last lap that I now own bragging rites for until the next track day. :lol Now, granted I totally stuffed T5 but that's not the point. :lol

Got one for the office...
http://www.mariposaderojo.com/Pics/TLR/Track1/track1web.jpg

I had the TLS for backup but never needed it...
http://www.mariposaderojo.com/Pics/TLR/Track1/TLR_TLR1.jpg

Ryan's CBR and the TLR...
http://www.mariposaderojo.com/Pics/TLR/Track1/TLR_CBR2.jpg

motopix
04-25-2006, 09:56 AM
http://www.mindspring.com/~motopix/BurnCycle/IMG_1447-small.jpg
http://www.mindspring.com/~motopix/BurnCycle/IMG_1539-small.jpg
http://www.mindspring.com/~motopix/BurnCycle/IMG_1564-small.jpg
http://www.mindspring.com/~motopix/BurnCycle/IMG_1567-small.jpg
http://www.mindspring.com/~motopix/BurnCycle/IMG_1821-small.jpg

BurnCycle
04-25-2006, 10:06 AM
:hail: Jeff

Do you mind if I steal those and put them on my server?

motopix
04-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Can you handle 2.5mb files somewhere? I'll send you the full size and you can crop them or whatever. PM me...

Cakes206
04-25-2006, 11:18 AM
We were off to somewhat of a "shakey" trackday by getting there early on Sun to drop off only to enter the gates to a shut down Wera event as everyone was waiting for the Medivac to come get the woman who apparently had a nasty wreck in 9, hitting the tire wall rendering her unconsience. Don't know the details but being about 100' away from watching where the chopper landed right on the track was definitely a reality check for both of us. We just had to somehow put it behind us so that we could ride the following day. Medivac takes off, WERA event continues. We drive into the paddock, and its a sea of EZups...like fack, is there any room? :lol: Go to the spot, surprisingly empty, drop off, head to the bleachers at T-10 to watch a few heats.
Fastforward to Monday, 6am wake up call seemed to come way to fast :doh: Head to the track, tech, do some final checking/adjustments, slap on the tire warmers and we head to the riders meeting. Bout 1/2 way through, Linda walks over to me and asks if I would like to help out in coaching with ART Basic...it took a second for it to register on what she said, then I was like "Umm, me?" :LOL: Look over to Kutesh like, "Did she just ask me to help coach?" :confused: Was hesitant for a split second but said sure. So throughout the day, yes, I became "Coach Cakes" (thanks Ant) :ohmygod: :roflmao: There was about 17 in the ART Basic class...seemed to be a good group too. Between helping in ART Basic, and riding in Red, yesterday was the fisrt time I actualy had to refuel for a single Summit day :wow: And I got to ride in the same group as Kutesh again ;) ...also can't even move right now I'm so sore.
One of the highlights was getting to dice it up with ism409. That 250 screams and is a great matchup with the sv. We'd go back n forth, having fun tryin to get the position, get a good drive off 10 and somehow slooowly creep past the 250 on the strait meerely inches at a time. Was a really great session out there...just like old times :cheers: Great bein out there with Ant, Jude, Vinny, Ray...Jimmy was good to see ya...hes to fast for the meer mortal, Chris too :LOL: Bern, congrats on the bump, sweet pics :thumbup:
All in all was a great day, I felt good, bike ran strong, and thanks again to TPM for a great day and letting me help out.

ps...got to see a white guy mow a lawn with a Mexican watching...had to be there...was to perfect. And yo Chris...I have your extension cord...I'll bring to VIR Mem Day W/E.

Mike295
04-25-2006, 11:32 AM
brake lever still boggles my mind

BurnCycle
04-25-2006, 11:39 AM
Bern, congrats on the bump, sweet pics :thumbup:

Big thanks to you for helping get the ball rolling with the evaluation for the bump. :hail:

AfricanBootyScratcher
04-26-2006, 03:05 PM
Very cool,
congrats to all who steped it up!
and cakes, so does the bike work better when properly put together :D

Cakes206
04-26-2006, 03:09 PM
and cakes, so does the bike work better when properly put together :D

Purrs like a kitten...thanks again :doh:

Chris
04-26-2006, 06:34 PM
What a great day,shakey start but good day.Thanks for the pepto jen.see you guys at vir.

ffejtable
04-26-2006, 07:58 PM
congrats on the bump to red! its nice to have somebody out there to show you the ropes the first time! cakes was out there for my first few laps until i took a detour on the lawn (at beaver)... :)

congrats cakes!

njracer
04-27-2006, 09:46 AM
Bout 1/2 way through, Linda walks over to me and asks if I would like to help out in coaching with ART Basic...it took a second for it to register on what she said, then I was like "Umm, me?" :LOL: Look over to Kutesh like, "Did she just ask me to help coach?" :confused: Was hesitant for a split second but said sure. So throughout the day, yes, I became "Coach Cakes" (thanks Ant) :ohmygod: :roflmao: .

OH LORD........TPM really must be in bad shape.

Coach Cakes.....the blind leading the blind. :roflmao: The guy can't even put his bike together....likes riding in the kitty liter....dirt tracks and breaks rims and now he's teaching?? The world is coming to an end.

Hassmaschine
04-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Great write up / pics...

Cakes206
04-27-2006, 10:13 AM
OH LORD........TPM really must be in bad shape.

Coach Cakes.....the blind leading the blind. :roflmao: The guy can't even put his bike together....likes riding in the kitty liter....dirt tracks and breaks rims and now he's teaching?? The world is coming to an end.

Hass posting...now the world is coming to an end :lol:

Last time I tested any kitty litter was Oct of '03 :flip:

njracer
04-27-2006, 10:40 AM
Hass posting...now the world is coming to an end :lol:

Last time I tested any kitty litter was Oct of '03 :flip:

+1 on Hass posting.

and U R still my favorite Summit Point kitty litter tester!!:boogie:

Hassmaschine
04-27-2006, 10:54 AM
Wait a minute now pinky's giving me shit? Come on...

Cakes206
04-27-2006, 12:21 PM
and U R still my favorite Summit Point kitty litter tester!!:boogie:

Bah...its all your fault...you got me to go to the track in the first place :lol:

Pinky :LOL: Haven't heard that one in a while.

Ant
05-09-2006, 09:41 AM
Here's a pic from Race Day photo. 1st day back in 1 year...woot!