PDA

View Full Version : Quick TPM Rant

ffejtable
04-21-2006, 01:26 PM
I've started enough trouble over at TPM already so I'm not going to open up my mouth on this one on their board, but on the Pocono day that got iced out Linda was commenting on how we arent allowed to have cameras on our bikes. Thats fine, but then she proceeded to tell us that when we know we are being watched/taped we tend to ride over our heads and it makes for a dangerous situation... Ok, I can buy that...

But her VERY next comment was how they have a video production company there to video tape us? WHAT THE FUCK?

Does it matter if my buddy or some professional is taping me? If being taped creates a dangerous situation, it really doesnt matter who is doing it, now does it?

Just a complete contridiction in what she had said 10 seconds earlier, and it really pissed me off... Yeah yeah I know I am 2 weeks late with this but I just thought of it when I was watching the VIR North video somebody linked.

soda7o
04-21-2006, 01:34 PM
I've started enough trouble over at TPM already so I'm not going to open up my mouth on this one on their board, but on the Pocono day that got iced out Linda was commenting on how we arent allowed to have cameras on our bikes. Thats fine, but then she proceeded to tell us that when we know we are being watched/taped we tend to ride over our heads and it makes for a dangerous situation... Ok, I can buy that...

But her VERY next comment was how they have a video production company there to video tape us? WHAT THE FUCK?

Does it matter if my buddy or some professional is taping me? If being taped creates a dangerous situation, it really doesnt matter who is doing it, now does it?

Just a complete contridiction in what she had said 10 seconds earlier, and it really pissed me off... Yeah yeah I know I am 2 weeks late with this but I just thought of it when I was watching the VIR North video somebody linked.
basiclaly they want youto buy the vid.. :)

DougZ
04-21-2006, 01:35 PM
I agree that there was a fair amount of hypocrisy in that policy. :)

DougZ
04-21-2006, 01:35 PM
basiclaly they want youto buy the vid.. :)

Did you figure that one out all on your own. :D

Ant
04-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Fagtable, just call this number...1-800-Whambulance That should help you out.

John712
04-21-2006, 02:03 PM
Fagtable, just call this number...1-800-Whambulance That should help you out.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wambulance&defid=1235822

soda7o
04-21-2006, 02:17 PM
Did you figure that one out all on your own. :D

oh yeah... yes i did infact beach!

ronin_01r1
04-21-2006, 02:27 PM
yea, that sux.

CBRBob
04-21-2006, 02:38 PM
Think what you want, 2 morons out there dicing it up making a video makes for a red flag and ME picking bikes up mid session FAR too often. It's not that I don't see your point Jeff, it's that every rider that pays for this gets 2 riders. One with the camera and one to lead. Both are coach level riders and the buyer signs waivers etc. They are told you DON'T get you vid if you ride like a bonehead or crash etc.

ffejtable
04-21-2006, 03:54 PM
Think what you want, 2 morons out there dicing it up making a video makes for a red flag and ME picking bikes up mid session FAR too often. It's not that I don't see your point Jeff, it's that every rider that pays for this gets 2 riders. One with the camera and one to lead. Both are coach level riders and the buyer signs waivers etc. They are told you DON'T get you vid if you ride like a bonehead or crash etc.

It was lindas wording that went something like Riders have a tendancy to ride over their head or show off when they know they are being video taped, and thats why we dont allow it.

I agree with this... but does that really change wether its your buddy taping you or a professional? Perhaps for some....

My point was she completely contradicted herself...

You going to be in canada first week of May? :)

High_Revs_17
04-21-2006, 04:08 PM
You're correct on principle Jeff...that's just like having a cop give you a cell phone ticket, then as they drive away you notice they're on the cell.

RCM78
04-21-2006, 05:03 PM
Beleive it or not, TPM does not profit from the videos. Glen thought long and hard about how to offer this service. The guys at Shadow Video seemed like a good solution. Like Bob said you must follow Shadow Video's rules and sign a waiver. Otherwise no video for you!!!

I personally think it's a good deal and a good idea. It's also a huge sore spot with a FEW members and I'm sick of all the whining...

NYCSTRIPES
04-21-2006, 06:42 PM
I am sure it does not help that Glen was struck more than once by riders shooting video on the track. I for one am glad I decided not to invest in camera gear.
Your other option is to ride with another club who'll allow it if its that much of a big deal. Personally, I would prefer guys not video while riding, I would prefer that they pay attention to the ride...enough guys crash on their own without having to factor in playing movie director at the same time.
Ken

CBRBob
04-21-2006, 08:20 PM
I was riding at Poco-E 2 weeks ago and came upon a rider in a blue vest following someone in a blue vest who was following another in a blue vest. The middle rider was the one being videoed. I watched them move through traffic and yield to others. I was impressed at how the leader kept a pace that did not make the rider ride above his skill level and that when i passed the 3rd rider (with the camera) and moved between he and the rider being taped, there was no effort to jump ahead of me to get the shot back.

In other words, from what I have seen, they are respectful (Shadow Vid. and the rider) of what they were doing compared to everyone else. This is 180deg from what I have dealt with in past years.

AfricanBootyScratcher
04-21-2006, 11:26 PM
from what I understand, Glen and Linda didn't want any video period. But after many complaints and members begging to allow taping, they looked at solutions and found svp to do it. and yes, TPM does not see a penny of the video fee, they just allow the SVP people there to do their own thing in order to make members happy.

ffejtable
04-22-2006, 09:42 AM
Beleive it or not, TPM does not profit from the videos. Glen thought long and hard about how to offer this service. The guys at Shadow Video seemed like a good solution. Like Bob said you must follow Shadow Video's rules and sign a waiver. Otherwise no video for you!!!

I personally think it's a good deal and a good idea. It's also a huge sore spot with a FEW members and I'm sick of all the whining...

I have no desire or intention of having a camera or being filmed, it would be nice but I'd never actually spend the money to buy the equipment. Please don't think I am whining over this. I dont know how she has gone about wording it at other riders meetings, but at Poc on the 9th it was basically a whole speech about how dangerous video taping is, and then she proceeded to tell us about Shadow video.. Perhaps being done in a more "controlled" environment is safer, but only time will tell...

NYCSTRIPES
04-22-2006, 01:18 PM
To be fair, Linda and Glen have explained it better at other riders meetings. I was at Pocono for the Ice Storm on April 8th and the message was clear. No ametuer video, but you'll have the option to have yourself taped.
No problems with understanding what they meant. Especially when Glen explained that he was struck 2-3 times by ametuer video makers on the track. I am sure he's just looking out for everyone's interest.
I would be pissed if I got hit by some jerkoff riding beyond his ability to make a film for himself attempting to look cool.

Ken

Smokes35
04-22-2006, 01:57 PM
heres a good question...

WHO GIVES A SHIT!?

have a nice day :)

lateapex
04-23-2006, 01:22 AM
I was riding at Poco-E 2 weeks ago and came upon a rider in a blue vest following someone in a blue vest who was following another in a blue vest. The middle rider was the one being videoed. I watched them move through traffic and yield to others. I was impressed at how the leader kept a pace that did not make the rider ride above his skill level and that when i passed the 3rd rider (with the camera) and moved between he and the rider being taped, there was no effort to jump ahead of me to get the shot back.

In other words, from what I have seen, they are respectful (Shadow Vid. and the rider) of what they were doing compared to everyone else. This is 180deg from what I have dealt with in past years.

I followed them at the end of the session and they were fine but the guy being taped did a wheelie down the access (with the camera guys in front and in back of him) and then ripped though the paddock.
How would he have acted if it was his friend taping him?

I've seen happen far too many times. Last thing TPM needs is more riders going down for something TPM can stop. Last year at Pocono I was in the paddock watching them unload a bike off the crash truck only to see seconds later his friend that was following him take a camera out from under his seat. Not only did the friend sneak a camera past but now his friend is hurt and his friends bike is now wrecked.

Shadow Video has a very strick policy where if you are reckless, out of control, act like an idiot or crash you get no video at all.

Cakes206
04-23-2006, 09:27 AM
So how does it work with Shadow Video being out there within the group? Are they taking up a spot? Is there a fee for them to be on the track. Eventhough they're offering a service for other riders, they're still getting track time. It's sorta grey area, you either allow it, or you don't type of situation. I'd be more weary of vid equip falling off the bike rather than the other rider.

John712
04-23-2006, 09:34 AM
i wont disagree with anybody here although i see everybodys point as valid.!!!

i can also see a person would like to have a video tape of themselves (i myself would like 1 aswell but wont go out of my way to do so) to reflect on years and years from now when we are unable to ride that way anymore.

but my question is also this, what are we there for (track days) are we there to make videos or ourselves or are we there to learn to race the track and not let the track race us..?

ffejtable
04-23-2006, 11:20 AM
but my question is also this, what are we there for (track days) are we there to make videos or ourselves or are we there to learn to race the track and not let the track race us..?

Well different people are there for different reasons. I am sure video can be a great learning tool in the right hands, so I can understand why people may want to do this for those reasons. I can even understand why people want it for the novelty of it.

If Shadow somehow has some special magical trick to prevent riders from riding over their heads, as they are "known" to do when being video taped, then great.

I am sure (hope) the TPM crew is keeping an eye on these video sessions to see whats going on...

RCM78
04-23-2006, 12:03 PM
I am sure (hope) the TPM crew is keeping an eye on these video sessions to see whats going on...

Yes we are...

CBRBob
04-23-2006, 10:26 PM
If Shadow somehow has some special magical trick to prevent riders from riding over their heads, as they are "known" to do when being video taped, then great.

Their 'trick' is 2 of them to one customer. The follower tapes, the leader sets the pace, keeps them from riding over their head.

Smokes35
04-23-2006, 11:16 PM
Sing it with me...

WHOOOOOO FUCKINGGGG CCAARRREEESSS...

CBRBob
04-24-2006, 10:33 AM
I heard they have video of a white group rider running faster than Smokes........

Smokes35
04-24-2006, 10:44 AM
i believe that was the whole white GROUP that was faster than me... textile suit boy!

crammer
04-26-2006, 02:10 PM
I heard they have video of a white group rider running faster than Smokes........

you know, smokes is a slow beyotch. :moocow:

Katanardr
05-09-2006, 08:22 PM
Jeff is just nerveous that someone might see him crash... And have tape to prove it... STOP WHINING BITCH!!!!!

BurnCycle
05-09-2006, 08:27 PM
Track videos? Who would do such a thing? :P

http://www.mariposaderojo.com/Pics/TLS/Track2/SPTrack2LR.jpg

http://www.mariposaderojo.com/mpg/FollowMe.wmv
http://www.mariposaderojo.com/mpg/RushHour.wmv
http://www.mariposaderojo.com/mpg/Summit1_HR.wmv

tommymac
05-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Well different people are there for different reasons. I am sure video can be a great learning tool in the right hands, so I can understand why people may want to do this for those reasons. I can even understand why people want it for the novelty of it.

I originally had little intrest in being taped, but after I ran my 3rd session on Sunday and things just mysteriously came together for me, the owner aproached me and I folded like a cheap roof LOL At first I was worried that i would be thinking about the camera guy too much but once out thereI just worried about what was in front of me. Even just watching it in the pits we were able to critique a few things on my lines and technique which will be helpful. Now I cant wait to get the DVD so I can go to my dads house to watch it on the big screen he has.

Tom

jcblitz
05-09-2006, 10:39 PM
I originally had little intrest in being taped, but after I ran my 3rd session on Sunday and things just mysteriously came together for me, the owner aproached me and I folded like a cheap roof LOL At first I was worried that i would be thinking about the camera guy too much but once out thereI just worried about what was in front of me. Even just watching it in the pits we were able to critique a few things on my lines and technique which will be helpful. Now I cant wait to get the DVD so I can go to my dads house to watch it on the big screen he has.

Tom

Video has helped me with a lot of things. Our golf coach taped most of our practices and I dont slice anymore because of it. Its one thing for someone to try and explain what you're doing wrong, it's another to actual see it. And I can't even begin to tell you what it's done for my sex life.

AfricanBootyScratcher
05-10-2006, 12:45 AM
vidoe taping does tend to bring out nitwits like this:
http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2551
if that asshat wasn't taping, he may have just driven past instead of putting his car, himself, and most importantly my mishoo is a dangerous situation!

tommymac
05-10-2006, 08:43 AM
Video has helped me with a lot of things. Our golf coach taped most of our practices and I dont slice anymore because of it. Its one thing for someone to try and explain what you're doing wrong, it's another to actual see it. And I can't even begin to tell you what it's done for my sex life.

Seems the driving ranges do that now when someones instructing a person, that way they can anylize their swing. The sex part I iwl figure out on my own dont want to see myself doing that on video:roflmao:

Tom