PDA

View Full Version : VERY heavy guy question.

RonJ83
04-17-2006, 06:28 PM
well here goes. i weigh in at about 260-270lbs and this morning i called Absolute Cycle Performance up at Linden to see if i can get an suspension adjustment quote and they told me that because i weigh so much i need to change out the front springs. i know i weigh alot but do i really need to? ive called WCW all day today with no one answering and i shot them an email too. because they want to change out the spring the total amount for them to work on it is going to be 400 bucks. compared to 35 at WCW. like i dont mind but the truth is my weight fluctuates cause i get lazy and dont go to the gym or i become a gym rat and all i do is go to the gym, i started going to the gym again and i know im going to lose the weight but im debating on whether to get in contact with WCW and see what they think or go with Absolute and fork over 400 in which i might have to do again when i do lose the weight. anyone weight as much as i do or around me that has gotten their front forks resprung? please let me know.

Ron

voteforguy
04-17-2006, 06:29 PM
Dude, did you put on some weight? no way you were 270 last time i saw you. go to the gym you lazy ass!!!

RonJ83
04-17-2006, 06:32 PM
im not but im just compensating LOL

High_Revs_17
04-17-2006, 06:39 PM
Well you are a bit heavier than the stock bike's suspension's set up for, but don't do anything till you speak to Ron at WCW. They're closed on Sunday and Monday, give him a call tomorrow, he's not looking to rip you off like some other shops might.

RonJ83
04-17-2006, 06:43 PM
Well you are a bit heavier than the stock bike's suspension's set up for, but don't do anything till you speak to Ron at WCW. They're closed on Sunday and Monday, give him a call tomorrow, he's not looking to rip you off like some other shops might.

i was kinda disappoint with absolute cause i met the guys a couple of times and they were cool, up until i wanted to buy sharkskinz off them. now i figured id give them another opp and it looks like they are blowing it again. pisses me off cause they are so close to my house and every other performance shop is more then an hour away.

SPRHK
04-17-2006, 06:48 PM
Yes , you will need to chance your front springs. I tip the scales at 235-240 and to set your suspension properly, you'll need heavier springs. If they are charging you $400.00, you better grease up your backside!! Racetech springs run an average of $100-$115 depending where you get them. It sure as shit dont cost 275-300 bucks to change you springs and fluids and do a set up. Now, if they are setting you up with goldvalves as well, then that is a good price.

soda7o
04-17-2006, 07:06 PM
i dont know about it.... i have seen people 300 + ride an r6 with stock suspension... ron... dont do it..

RonJ83
04-17-2006, 07:10 PM
Yes , you will need to chance your front springs. I tip the scales at 235-240 and to set your suspension properly, you'll need heavier springs. If they are charging you $400.00, you better grease up your backside!! Racetech springs run an average of $100-$115 depending where you get them. It sure as shit dont cost 275-300 bucks to change you springs and fluids and do a set up. Now, if they are setting you up with goldvalves as well, then that is a good price.

after i got off the phone with him i did some research on race tech springs (cause he told me thats what hes going to use) and they cost $98 at the shop. do they sell them in pairs or its $98 each. 98 each i understand cause yes there labor and what not but if its 98 for a pair and they want 400 for the total job cost thats some serious bull man

SPRHK
04-17-2006, 07:12 PM
Just because they rode an R6 and are 300lbs. doesn't mean the suspension was "set" properly. The stock suspension on most japanese sportbike is set for riders in the 150-180 range. Cranking down on the spring preload with stock springs isn't going to net the proper settings for someone that heavy.

PSYCHO1000R
04-17-2006, 07:55 PM
well im 210ish and i had to change the springs in my TL. it was way to mushy stock. bikes are usually set up with skinny anorexic bodies in mind.

so they're not pulling your chain, you should invest in stiffer springs.

i ended up going with race tech for about the price u got, and had WCW do the work for me.

CBRBob
04-17-2006, 08:04 PM
Every bike is a compromise. You want the best for the bike and you, change the springs to suit YOU. Thats what 'suggested suspension settings' you see in magazines etc are total crap. Every bike/fork/shock is slightly different as well as every riders tastes.

RonJ83
04-17-2006, 08:13 PM
well im going to call WCW tomorrow and see what RON says. hopefully he will point me in the right direction and i wont have to shell out too much money. if its the same as absolute ill just go to absolute cause its closer. eh.....so troublesome.

RCM78
04-17-2006, 09:12 PM
I know the guys at Absolute and I've delt with Ron at WCW. Neither shop will rip you off but at that weight you will need to respring your front forks and then reset the front ride height. I'm 230 and my front forks have 1.0kg springs.

If your just cruising around on the street then you could probably adjust the stock stuff to feel better but it still wont be right...

Smokes35
04-17-2006, 09:27 PM
Sigh... im fat.

I weight about 280lbs... and i spent 338 dollars on suspension springs front and rear -- just did my first track day on them, and WOW what a difference... just get it done, u'll be doing yourself a favor.

HondaGalToo
04-17-2006, 09:45 PM
I'd say yes to the new springs. But $98 each? I paid $50 each for springs. Check the price elsewhere. Or is it $98 each installed? $98 each installed would make more sense. I recently paid $260 for new springs and servicing on my forks (clean, fresh oil), but I removed the forks myself. That may be where the $400 comes in-them having to remove the wheel, take off the forks, service said forks, then put it all back together. If you have a rear stand and a front stand that lifts the bike from the triple, you can probably save a good amount of money if you remove the forks yourself and take them to a shop.
I also had my stock forks revalved. Don't know if that's necessary on the R6, but it was on my Honda CBR929.

SPRHK
04-17-2006, 10:40 PM
Fork springs are sold in pairs. $98.00 is a good price for a pair . But, unless they are doing goldvalves, $400.00 sounds aweful expensive. It isn't that labor Intensive to change fork springs, inverted or not.

you gotta figure: $98.00 FORK SPRINGS
$12.00 FORK OIL

:wow: :wtf: :nuts: :take_it: :take_it: :banghead: :banghead:

RonJ83
04-17-2006, 11:33 PM
I know the guys at Absolute and I've delt with Ron at WCW. Neither shop will rip you off but at that weight you will need to respring your front forks and then reset the front ride height. I'm 230 and my front forks have 1.0kg springs.

If your just cruising around on the street then you could probably adjust the stock stuff to feel better but it still wont be right...

i dunno about absolute cause there was already one incident where they almost did rip me off. luckily a friend of mine hooked me up right on time. they had wanted a lil under 1k for a set of sharkskinz street kit, minus front fender and under tail draft plate. i contacted indysuperbikes and they wanted only $890. and guy i met on the r6 board hooked me up and paid only about $700. not for nothing but when sharkskinz themselves dont charge 900 for a street kit how does a retailer do so?

Sigh... im fat.

I weight about 280lbs... and i spent 338 dollars on suspension springs front and rear -- just did my first track day on them, and WOW what a difference... just get it done, u'll be doing yourself a favor.

where did you get it done?? WCW or somewhere else?

Rev
04-17-2006, 11:54 PM
now is a good time to lose some weight...that's what i'm doing...

I checked out absolute cycles...place is a decent size..they have no stock and thier customer service SUCKS...we were tehre walking around and not one hi or hello can i help you..all of them looked at us like we had a dick stuck to our foreheads..sorry ron but i had a bad first experienced there and I will not recommend that place.

RonJ83
04-18-2006, 09:29 AM
just got off the phone with Ron @ WCW. he recommends me to go and get the normal suspension adjustment and see how i feel afterwards and then make a decision on whether or not i should have my bike redone. he also mentioned that if i was going to get the forks resprung/revalved, i would also have to do the rear and the total cost would run about 1500. just doing the front would make my bike harder to turn without doing the rear. i would have to say even though it will take me an hour+ to get out there this dude is definitely worth the trip, atleast he is willing to do a minor adjustment before he lays the vaseline on my ass.

Smokes35
04-18-2006, 10:15 AM
where did you get it done?? WCW or somewhere else?

www.speedwerks.com

RonJ83
04-18-2006, 10:21 AM
dam delaware is like 3 hours out.

Xracer264
04-18-2006, 10:27 AM
just got off the phone with Ron @ WCW. he recommends me to go and get the normal suspension adjustment and see how i feel afterwards and then make a decision on whether or not i should have my bike redone. he also mentioned that if i was going to get the forks resprung/revalved, i would also have to do the rear and the total cost would run about 1500. just doing the front would make my bike harder to turn without doing the rear. i would have to say even though it will take me an hour+ to get out there this dude is definitely worth the trip, atleast he is willing to do a minor adjustment before he lays the vaseline on my ass.

Great idea RonJ83. I was going to suggest that. Get it set with the stock springs and see how it feels. If this really limits the adjustiblilty then change the front and rear springs.

Rev
04-18-2006, 10:40 AM

yeah i'm sure you'll see enough of a difference where you won't dump 1500 bux.that's a lot...most bikes are turned for 200lb people but i dunno...let us know what happend...if u want ron we'll take a ride out with you

RonJ83
04-18-2006, 11:11 AM
yea im going to check the weather tomorrow and get the forcast for the upcomming 3 days, hopefully i can make a run before the weekend comes around.

High_Revs_17
04-18-2006, 01:45 PM
So the other shop was willing to do a service on your bike without thinking of how it will negatively effect the bike's overall handling...figures...

RonJ83
04-18-2006, 05:05 PM
So the other shop was willing to do a service on your bike without thinking of how it will negatively effect the bike's overall handling...figures...

yes i was really surprised because Absolute mentioned nothing about my rear shock other then "its current setup is ok for your weight" :wtf:

RonJ83
04-20-2006, 07:50 PM
well i got it done today, and i gotta say it was worth the trip. my braking is ALOT better and the bike feels more planted. are for the controls, its just slightly better but better none the less. WCW is the place to go, damm why do they gotta be so far out!