PDA

View Full Version : shifter replacement

ronin_01r1
06-09-2005, 02:07 PM
how difficult is it to replace a shifter?

a friend's bike low sided at about 5-7mph and the shifter (that knob you place your foot under/over to shift up and down) snapped off.

anyone do this before? if so, do you have any advice or tips or anything to watch out for?

thanks.

CBRBob
06-09-2005, 04:53 PM
Buy the manual. Take your time, make sure there isn't more bent or broken while it's apart. Clean/lube parts as necessary and torque to spec. (you do have a torque wrench, right?)

ronin_01r1
06-09-2005, 06:56 PM
my friend's got his manual. i don't think he's looked at it much tho. it doesn't look like anything else is broken. i need to pick up a torque wrench. i should be able to pick one up at autozone, right?

wcrbikemike
06-09-2005, 07:01 PM
Yup AZ should have one. Use the manual and pay attention to where things are before you take it apart.

ronin_01r1
06-09-2005, 09:08 PM
nice. i'll take pics and post how it goes. maybe i can take a pic of my bro crying if he can't get it back together! lol.

LuvDog
07-18-2005, 06:57 PM
There will almost definitely be RED loctite on the bolt that holds the peg on.

I'd suggest using heat to break that bond.

Once you get that out, it's a piece of cake.

I just replaced mine, which was bent from when the previous owner had it and the bike fell over when the kick stand sunk.

Of course... now would be a good time to get a new set of adjustable rear sets.

CBRBob
07-18-2005, 07:44 PM
It's not hard at all. The hardest thing will be getting it off. I had to take mine off when I replaced the footpegs on my bike. Let's just say I have a few "choice words" for whatever genius designed that part of F3's. You'll probably need a cheater bar, depending if there is thread locker on it or not.

FYI, when replacing pegs on a F3, you only need to take a cotter pin off and slide the pivot pin out. No wrench or muscle necessary! :wave2:

DougZ
07-18-2005, 07:46 PM
my friend's got his manual. i don't think he's looked at it much tho. it doesn't look like anything else is broken. i need to pick up a torque wrench. i should be able to pick one up at autozone, right?

You can borrow mine if needed...torque wrench that is. If you do buy, get a good one.