PDA

View Full Version : A how to question...

Mogwai
03-17-2006, 12:59 AM
I want to make a custom turnsignal. I have a small piece of plastic, one for each side. I was thinking of using 4 to 5 (12 volt) led's per side which I already have, and came with a built in resistor. How would I sercure them to the plastic piece without doing it permanently, just incase down the road I need to switch one of the LEds out without breaking the plastic peice? Also, can I just tap into the front turnsignal wires? Just connect the leds wires to the wires coming from the battery to the front signals? Thanks in advance peeps...

njf4i
03-17-2006, 07:42 AM
Well without having pics i can only give you small advice.

When i got my custom flushmount turn signals they came with 2 ways to mount them. One was doublesided tape, and the other was a small screw on each side of the piece. You can always design your piece to have screw mounts in them.

Gear Dog
03-17-2006, 09:52 AM
Ok since there aren't any pic's of what you have I'll just wing it.
I'm assuming you have a flat lens for the signal and you will need to mount the leds to a circuit board or something similar. I would drill 2 holes in the lens as close to the opening on the bike as possible. Doing this will allow the lens to stay in place without having to drill into the fairings. This way if you decide later you don't like it you don't have holes to cover up. Then get some screw spacers short enough to get the leds close to the lens. You could use drywall anchors for this. Then drill 2 matching holes in the circuit board. You will also need to seal the whole thing from the elements so some type of box to cover the whole assembly will be needed.
Going off of your description this is what I came up with.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/GearDog7/DIYlens.jpg

hope this helps

Mogwai
03-17-2006, 10:58 AM
OK guys, heres a pic of it to help...
The 929 has a small plastic piece which ic very easy to get to, and it only bolted on with two screws, one at the very top and one at the very bottom. You can see it through the front fairing slightly. I was looking at what I can do with these few yellow leds i have hanging around, and got the idea to put them in there, connect them to the front turn signals, and have the turn into additional turn signals (which only would be veiwable from the front).