PDA

View Full Version : front brake ?

BlackHat2305
03-16-2006, 07:14 PM
This past weekend i had my bike out , and out of the blue as i was comming to a stop my front shoes were sqeeking and chattering and there was a slight vibration . as the day went on and the brakes continued to make noises i was comming to a stop and applied the front brakes fairly easy and allmost went over the bars! now i made it home and bought some brake cleaner sand cleaned the fronts as well as the backs , went for a cruise and they were fine for about 45 min then the same things happent . I was told the pads were new and they look fine any ideas on why my brakes are acting up ? thanks for the help guys / Gals

Greg

southjersey636
03-16-2006, 07:34 PM
make sure you have the anti-rattle clips in there, also new brake pads are known to be really grippy so watch out, and when I put new pads on my bike they made a loud squeel for almost 2-3k before going away.

Cakes206
03-16-2006, 07:52 PM
Do you know what kind of pads they are? How many miles on the rotors? Stock brake lines or SS lines?

MrQuickR1
03-16-2006, 08:24 PM
Could be warped/bent rotors

CBRBob
03-16-2006, 10:23 PM
Sounds like he overfilled the fluid and once it gets hot during the ride it is expanding and making the brake drag.

PitsVtec
03-16-2006, 11:29 PM
also new brake pads are known to be really grippy so watch out

Agree!

BlackHat2305
03-16-2006, 11:34 PM
stock lines did not add any brake fluid and the level is normal brakes were replaced and put about 120 miles on the new brakes so im gona have to just watch them and see if they dont stick and lossen up thanks for the advice very helpful

Greg

Cakes206
03-16-2006, 11:40 PM
What kind of brakes were used? OEM or an aftermarket set?

Jake
03-17-2006, 12:27 AM
I used to have a lot of vibration in the front under hard braking. I'm not sure what the root cause was, but it disappeared when I got SS lines, new pads and replaced the brake fluid.

I don't think that really helps you out.. sorry. :banghead:

BlackHat2305
03-17-2006, 09:26 AM
What kind of brakes were used? OEM or an aftermarket set?

not sure they were on when i bought the bike but i bought it at a honda dealer and they said they replaced them so im gona guess OEM but is there a way to tell ?

SPRHK
03-19-2006, 11:28 AM
Check to see if the pistons in the calipers are moving freely. Depending on the way the bike was maintained, if the brake fluid hasn't been changed,you could have crud built up between the seal and caliper housing. This causes the piston to stick and not retract properly. Its an easy fix if you are mechanically inclined. You would need to remove the calipers, use an airhose to pop out the pistons, carefully remove the seals , and thuroughly clean the seals and pistons. If the seals look iffy, replace them. You should also replace the copper gaskets for your brakelines if you take it apart.
Do you feel a vibration, or pulsation. Vibration usually means that the brakes are dragging, pulsation usually means warped rotors. Good luck with it and let us know how you make out.

BlackHat2305
03-21-2006, 08:44 PM
Do you feel a vibration, or pulsation. Vibration usually means that the brakes are dragging, pulsation usually means warped rotors. Good luck with it and let us know how you make out.

rode the bike all day today and it was fine , let the bike cool down for about an hour went out again brakes were sueeking when stoping but there was no vibration !!! ughhhh think the brake fluid was changed by the dealer when they replaced the brakes atleast this is what i was told! who knows the truth lol :banghead:

ffejtable
03-22-2006, 08:29 AM
Unless you have some "unusual" brake fluid, you can easily tell if its time to replace by the color... If its a very light yellow you should be ok, but it doesnt hurt to change anyway... If its brown/black its time to change.... DOT 4 or 5.1 is used in most bikes, DOT 5 is not.

southjersey636
05-03-2006, 12:21 PM
rode the bike all day today and it was fine , let the bike cool down for about an hour went out again brakes were sueeking when stoping but there was no vibration !!! ughhhh think the brake fluid was changed by the dealer when they replaced the brakes atleast this is what i was told! who knows the truth lol :banghead:

This sounds like typical new brake pads to me. Your bike sounds fine from the way your explaining it and overaul enjoy the ride. If it makes you feel any better I got 17k on my bike and never changed the brake fluid lol