PDA

View Full Version : GP Shift...Whos Got It...

Cakes206
06-06-2005, 08:47 PM
and why...lookin for some pros/cons...

ezpunkx
06-06-2005, 09:27 PM
Pros easier to shift in the corners.

Cons, you gotta get used to it, and then once you do you gotta be real carefull driving other bikes :) I'm scared to switch because i'm scared i'm going to subconsiously downshift instead of upshifting!! Ouch!

njf4i
06-06-2005, 09:43 PM
Sothpaw had his installed by Omar. But from what i remember, he took it off after only a couple hours.

I guess the hardest part will be getting use to it.

IrocRob
06-06-2005, 11:21 PM
Pro: Upshifts are a little easier all the time,
with no clearance problem when you are leaned over.

Con: Down shifts are a little harder all the time,
and old habits die hard, so be careful. Downshifting when
you really want to upshift can be very painful.

Think back on your track days, and try to remember if
you have ever had a problem with clearance when upshifting
while leaned over. If you have never had a problem with the
lack of clearance, then you would gain no advantage
with a GP shift pattern.

Cakes206
06-06-2005, 11:42 PM
Think back on your track days, and try to remember if
you have ever had a problem with clearance when upshifting
while leaned over. If you have never had a problem with the
lack of clearance, then you would gain no advantage
with a GP shift pattern.

I've yet to shift while leaned over...always set myself up ahead of time in a gear that will carry me thru.

duc748pilot
06-07-2005, 09:42 AM
third season using "gp shift". once you get used to it....you wont go back. but its like quitting smoking......you have to force yourself to get over the initial change...after that its smooth sailing.

i'll give you an example.....summit point turn 2......if your going fast enough you can touch down in that "kink" (wouldnt even call it a turn)..... leaned over at that speed, your body clearly has to be way over to the right to keep the bike going where you want it. going into turn one i go from 6th to 2nd gear....then after the apex im accelerating to turn two.....by the time i reach the apex im topped out.....but im leaned waaaaay over to be able to turn and carry that speed...i wouldnt be able to upshift into third by getting my foot under the shifter....its much much easier to tap down to upshift. same goes for a left hander. the motions are just more natural (once your used to them).

btw i dont think theres any safe place to get used to it. i switch mine and went to the track....but i did upshift a few times instead of downshifting my first time out. it takes some time. while getting used to it just do not count on any engine braking...give yourself enough room for brakes only.

AfricanBootyScratcher
06-07-2005, 11:56 AM
I tried it and hated it. I know that some people swear by it though. it's easy enough to switch over, so give it a shot, and if you don't like it switch it back.

Mike295
06-07-2005, 01:39 PM
Mladin wins alot and he uses standard. so does Shwantz he was a GP champ.

JasonB
06-07-2005, 01:41 PM
I have and love it. I switched the week before my first track day and got used to it pretty quickly. I like it.

To each it's own. Do what makes you happy

zc_sandman
06-08-2005, 10:54 AM
Pros easier to shift in the corners.

+1, :) the advantage for me is the obvious, grabbing another gear when you're leaned over is sweet! It's like a drug and tapping that shifter in a turn while leaned over is irrestible. The earlier you can get your drive going out of a turn the better.

The con's none. Change it and deal with it.

DougZ
06-08-2005, 11:40 AM
The track bike I am getting has it. I don't wanna deal with having a track bike one way and the street the other, so I am switching it back before Summit. Plus, I have been riding standard style for 12 years now, too long of a time to switch what I am used to.

carl_g
06-08-2005, 02:37 PM
+1, :) the advantage for me is the obvious, grabbing another gear when you're leaned over is sweet! It's like a drug and tapping that shifter in a turn while leaned over is irrestible. The earlier you can get your drive going out of a turn the better.

The con's none. Change it and deal with it.

on a hiyaboooooosa....
comeon man, be serious when the hell will you need to shift while being way leaned over in a turn on the street.... especially on that bike? That thing has enough tourque and power to pull you through and out of any turn you will encounter.

This drug you talk about..how much of it do you smoke a day? :spit:

duc748pilot
06-08-2005, 02:42 PM
hmmm.......

the real life of a street racer......didnt mtv do soemthing like that?

wcrbikemike
06-09-2005, 07:35 PM
I am going to agree with 600rrPilot,

There are several tracks that I go to that being able to shift midturn is great. Take Mosport coming out of Moss Corner onto the back straight you need to get the bike leaned over to the left and being able to just grab that next gear and not upset the chassis is perfect.

Cakes206
06-09-2005, 07:40 PM
get the bike leaned over to the left and being able to just grab that next gear and not upset the chassis is perfect.

Ok, so how do you upshift smoothly while leaned over? :wtf:

wcrbikemike
06-09-2005, 07:48 PM
Ok, so how do you upshift smoothly while leaned over? :wtf:

With a easy tap down on the shift lever. Much easier than trying to get your foot under the shift lever while leaned over to the left.

ezpunkx
06-09-2005, 07:54 PM
I am going to agree with 600rrPilot,

There are several tracks that I go to that being able to shift midturn is great. Take Mosport coming out of Moss Corner onto the back straight you need to get the bike leaned over to the left and being able to just grab that next gear and not upset the chassis is perfect.

Thats funny i was thinking about the exact same example. going into and out of that turn a GP shift would definitly be an advantage.

wcrbikemike
06-09-2005, 08:06 PM
Thats funny i was thinking about the exact same example. going into and out of that turn a GP shift would definitly be an advantage.

It really is. My first year there I was using STD shift and last year was using GP shift and to me it makes a big difference.

Cakes206
06-09-2005, 08:12 PM
With a easy tap down on the shift lever. Much easier than trying to get your foot under the shift lever while leaned over to the left.

Yea, I understand the concept of what ya need to do...but changing gears like that that doesn't upset the bike at all?

duc748pilot
06-09-2005, 08:15 PM
nope....everything has got to be smooth though. obviously if your not smooth....its not going to go smoothly......give it a slow easy try. use the throttle and clutch to smooth it out.

wcrbikemike
06-10-2005, 07:43 AM
Yea, I understand the concept of what ya need to do...but changing gears like that that doesn't upset the bike at all?

As Chris said you still have to try and be smooth about it. We all know that tiny movements can upset bikes but some just do it less than others. I tend to like it and others do not. I do not think that it makes the world of difference but to me it does give that little bit that I was looking for.

Another way to get used to the whole gp shift thin in your mind is to think about it like this:

In life when you want to go faster or pick up the pace you PUSH yourself to go faster and when you want to slow down you pull back. Upshift = push, downshift = pull.

That is the logic I used when I first switched and it worked for me. Easy enough for you to make the flip on your bike Cakes. Give it a try and if you do not like it take the 1 minute to put it back to Std.

duc748pilot
06-10-2005, 04:52 PM
not really. unless your riding like that on the street. which....i can attest to NOT being a good idea.

I Ride
06-10-2005, 05:13 PM
I switched its the bomb........ main reason I switched was turn 2 summit. you have to upshift there while leaned over and its a mo fo without gp shift

I have been riding standard style for 12 years now, too long of a time to switch what I am used to.

I rode for 14 years (not counting dirtbikes before age 18)

first time i switched the track bike ..did 2 slow laps no problem. Turned it up...big problem. Changed it back at the track. Got home and Changed the streetbike and rode GP for few weeks on the street. never looked back.

DougZ
06-10-2005, 09:46 PM
I switched its the bomb........ main reason I switched was turn 2 summit. you have to upshift there while leaned over and its a mo fo without gp shift

I rode for 14 years (not counting dirtbikes before age 18)

first time i switched the track bike ..did 2 slow laps no problem. Turned it up...big problem. Changed it back at the track. Got home and Changed the streetbike and rode GP for few weeks on the street. never looked back.

I was thinking about that.....seems most think GP style is better for the track, maybe I'll switch the SV to GP. I just want it to be consistent from street to track. I have heard about guys having both tpyes and messing up when they get on the track.

How hard is it to switch???, maybe I'll try it on the SV.

Jimmy
06-10-2005, 10:37 PM
How hard is it to switch???, maybe I'll try it on the SV.
It's simple...just flip the gear shift arm 180 deg.

DougZ
06-10-2005, 11:29 PM
It's simple...just flip the gear shift arm 180 deg.

Oh, OK, I did not realize it was that simple. LOL

zc_sandman
06-12-2005, 11:31 PM
on a hiyaboooooosa....
comeon man, be serious when the hell will you need to shift while being way leaned over in a turn on the street.... especially on that bike? That thing has enough tourque and power to pull you through and out of any turn you will encounter.

This drug you talk about..how much of it do you smoke a day? :spit:

This saturday or sunday, let's meet up and you keep up! No Highways!

That is all!

duc748pilot
06-12-2005, 11:41 PM

That is all!

:nuts:

carl_g
06-13-2005, 09:26 AM

That is all!
ahahahaha..no thanks. :squid:

I Ride
06-13-2005, 09:33 AM

That is all!
ahahahaha..no thanks. :squid:

im your huckleberry

duc748pilot
06-13-2005, 09:52 AM
lol .... +1..... im back biiiaaaaatchhhh

SUZUKI

carl_g
06-13-2005, 10:02 AM
im your huckleberry
Yeah I got nothing for ya. :embarrass

ezpunkx
06-13-2005, 11:45 PM
ZC I think its time u take a trip to the track :)

DougZ
06-14-2005, 10:06 AM
ZC I think its time u take a trip to the track :)

Yeah, that Busa at Pocono faired real well, didn't it. I actually know that guy...nice enough guy....to bad about his bike.