PDA

View Full Version : Overheating

John712
06-05-2005, 09:17 AM
yesterday we went to Hooters in Wayne NJ to watch the Bikini Contest, sitting in some traffic and my bike over heated. is there any way to see if my fan clutch/motor is bad.? or where are the relays for the fan ON the bike and how can i tell if their bad to..? or can it be a fluck that it was hot yesterday..? but it wasnt even 90 degrees though and i dont want to get caught up when it does reach that temperature. what to do and where to look, any suggestions?

Cakes206
06-05-2005, 09:33 AM
Did you actually over heat? Or just runnin hot? The fan should kick on at around 218*. What temp did it get up to? Were you moving at a good pace or in stop-n-go traffic?

John712
06-05-2005, 09:47 AM
Did you actually over heat? Or just runnin hot? The fan should kick on at around 218*. What temp did it get up to? Were you moving at a good pace or in stop-n-go traffic?

as far as i can tell, it overheated, a lot of antifreeze came out from the over flow hose, it was bubbling up in there. the fan came on at excatly 220* but it only came on for no more the 10 seconds if that. but it was stop and go traffic. but later when i got home i let it run to hear the fan again and it stood on longer, maybe 15-20 seconds

Cakes206
06-05-2005, 09:55 AM
What was the highest temp it got up to? How much coolant is in your overflow catch?

John712
06-05-2005, 10:04 AM
What was the highest temp it got up to? How much coolant is in your overflow catch?

hmmm, to be honest im not sure of the highest, but if i had to guess, no higher then 230 (just a guess) but the overflow was "FULL" but now it's half full. im gonna take the bike out and check the everything to do with the coolant. any suggestions on how to tell if the temp. sensor is bad, or where is the temp sensor?

Cakes206
06-05-2005, 10:10 AM
hmmm, to be honest im not sure of the highest, but if i had to guess, no higher then 230 (just a guess) but the overflow was "FULL" but now it's half full. im gonna take the bike out and check the everything to do with the coolant. any suggestions on how to tell if the temp. sensor is bad, or where is the temp sensor?

If your fan kicked on, the sensor isn't bad...but it's located at the top of the radiator...sounds like your coolant level might to high.

John712
06-05-2005, 10:13 AM
If your fan kicked on, the sensor isn't bad...but it's located at the top of the radiator...sounds like your coolant level might to high.

what do you suggest the over fill be filled to..? 1/2 full..? right.?

Cakes206
06-05-2005, 10:54 AM
Thats bout right.

Commuta_Busa
06-08-2005, 10:10 AM
if your fan kicks on & off then the pronblem isn't the sensor or the fan. What kind of a mix are you running 50/50? There could be alot of reasons for an overheat. Are you leaking coolant any where? Are you sure the pressure cap is sealing?

jcblitz
06-08-2005, 11:45 AM
I would say flush your coolant because it might be bad or to "lean"...but isn't your bike new?