PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket vented clutch covers, good or bad?

High_Revs_17
02-17-2006, 04:03 PM
I believe the vented one promotes better cooling and clutch dust disipation, but then it's also letting in lot's of dirt and debris from the road at the same time.

Of course they look cool, but would the clutch stay cleaner with the stock cover, or vented one?

http://i22.ebayimg.com/03/i/05/8f/2c/a8_1.JPG

tweake
02-17-2006, 04:08 PM
on ducatis they tend to keep them cleaner and the clutches last longer u dont get the dust building up in a closed cover and waring the plates out faster :) but a open cover does tend to make the area around the clutch dusty :(

High_Revs_17
02-17-2006, 04:12 PM
on ducatis they tend to keep them cleaner and the clutches last longer u dont get the dust building up in a closed cover and waring the plates out faster :) but a open cover does tend to make the area around the clutch dusty :(

Yeah seems like there's a give and take with this one, not being 100% either way regarding positives and negatives.

What about rain getting into the clutch? Or grass, dirt and rocks if the bike happens to go down on that side?

tweake
02-17-2006, 04:23 PM
nice cover in pic :) this has ben talked about on the monster fourm and multistrada forum alot . 1 guy has 120k on his monster yea alot of miles and he runs no cover at all :uh: rain and dirt don't bother them at all .now crashing on that side well there is a good reason to buy that slipper clutch upon rebuild lol :roflmao:

HondaGalToo
02-17-2006, 04:24 PM
Water will spin right out, no problem. Just run it a bit if it gets wet. Grass and dirt could be a problem if you wreck, but most of these covers are really sturdy and protect the clutch from damage in a crash. The stock ones, especially the carbon fiber ones, won't. The pressure plate looks like it keeps a lot of stuff from getting to the clutch plates. One thing I did when I installed mine was to also get stainless steel clutch springs, as the stock ones will rust. Oh, and don't get your fingers anywhere near it when it's running!:shock: :bandaid:

tweake
02-17-2006, 04:26 PM
good point about the springs :embarrass mine have already started to rust :banghead:

ezpunkx
02-20-2006, 10:20 PM
I got one on my HONDA works great!!! ;)