PDA

View Full Version : I want an honest answer...............

SPRHK
02-06-2006, 09:56 PM
Judging by the way TPM seems to pop up everywhere on this website, not that it's a bad thing, I would like to hear other peoples take on trackday clubs. I've been a Nesba member for 6 yrs, and been riding with Cornerspeed for about 5 yrs. I haven't had the experience with any other clubs other than those mentioned. Just as an example... if you are going to say TPM is the best, give plausable reasons why. What does the club of your choice have over any other club? I'm looking for "real" reasons,not just because you belong to that particular club.I've been thinking of possibly joining other clubs to help acquire feesable trackdays to coinside with my schedule.
This post is not in any way putting down any trackday club, just looking for honest evaluations of the clubs that you may have ridden with / belong to.

SPRHK
02-06-2006, 10:07 PM
Oh , by the way, you should consider the following when answering this post;
safety
price
safety
track selection
safety
instruction
trackside support (tires services, etc.)
quality of tracks offered
quality of the members( as harsh as it sounds, can you trust the people at you
events not to steal your gear while your on the track?)
Did I mention safety??

Like I said, this isn't to bash any club, just honest answers.........

Feel free to add any other things that make that club of your choice your favorite.

Thanx

CBRBob
02-06-2006, 10:33 PM
If you are wondering about safety, ask some people here how I make visits to 'offenders' in the pits or how I have pulled people off for rule violations. I am not out to be a prick but if you do something and it is obvious or just plain stupid, I will take immediate action, if it wasnt that bad, they will get a visit in the pits.

Beyond that, TPM feels like a family, no stealing. As for the rest, members......

RCM78
02-06-2006, 11:29 PM
Safety is TPM's #1 priority. We are the only club that I know of that own's our own airfence.

Stealing hasnt been a problem. I once left a jacket at the track. Called the office and someone turned it in. Another friend forgot his pitbull stands. He posted on the TPM message board about it and they were also turned in.

Instruction is top notch in my opinion. I learned enough from TPM coach's to become a coach myself two years ago. I can also say theres nothing better then helping out other riders and watching them "get it".

Track selection is pretty damn good. Since your in NJ your very close to pocono, VIR is 8 hours away, Summit is 4 and Beaverun is 6. We should also have lots of dates at thunderbolt raceway here in NJ when that opens up...

Trackside support is awesome. We have a stocked 48 foot multilevel transporter loaded with rental bikes and gear, tires, tire changing services, brakepads, select tool's, helmets, gloves, levers, chains, and lots of other stuff... If you have a popular bike you'll have a better chance of getting common replacement parts but dont expect us to have a rearset for your superhawk. Dont know anyone that would have that in stock... :)

Any other questions let us know.
Hope to see ya at the track...

Cakes206
02-06-2006, 11:38 PM
I'm a TPM member but have done other days with other orgs. My first track day was hosted by Louden Motorsports at Summit Point Main. Being my first track day, I had no idea what was going on...basically it was an open track day...with different skill level groups and control riders...no special rules other than use your head and don't do anything stupid...I think it was "Don't screw the pootch" to be exact :lol: I was lucky enough to of been there with njracer(Brian) who showed me the ropes.
2nd track day was with NESBA(Oct.30th '03)...still trying to get used to the whole "track day" thing. From the begining of the day I knew something was off...I'm very good at noticing certain things and the whole atmosphere just wreeked of conceitedness...starting with tech and the riders meeting...just a bad vibe...then I crashed and was done for the day :lol:
From there I went to TPM...and in all honesty I knew I had found a good club...right off the bat everyone was friendly...good vibe at the riders meeting...coaches workin one on one and after the session gave excellent feedback...felt real comfortable and have been with them goin into my 3rd season now...met alot of great people, made some really great friends...
Just recent I also did a couple of track days at Jennings...that was an experience let me tell ya... :lol:

Kennedy
02-06-2006, 11:48 PM
TPM is a great club, You don't get to many coachs inviting you to their house and helping you out when you need, thanks and you know who you are.

Qetesh
02-06-2006, 11:53 PM
I'm going in to my third year riding with TPM. I would never go to another club for these few reasons I will list.

Above all else, safety is #1! That makes me feel extremely comfortable!!! The family atomosphere is unbeatable! Considering that TPM has thousands of members, the staff and coaches know your name!

Rider meetings at every event, usually given by the owner of the club, shows me that not only is he passionate about our sport, but he's involved too!!! Right down to taking members out on 2-up rides to get an idea of the track, to teaching one on one.

Coaching, coaching, coaching!!!! All the TPM coaches go above an beyond what they are required to do! Several make it a point to find you either on the track or in the pits and talk to you, work with you, watch you grow and become a faster, smoother rider! I know there are several coaches that have worked with me faithfully and I am reaping the rewards of their hard work and I will continue to grow and learn from all of their much appreciated teachings!

Trackside trailer with everything from pucks and helmets, to tshirts and hats, to books and oil, tires and mounting, trackside suspension set-ups, and random parts and accessories is gravy and requires time to set up! The air fence is a definate plus as well as the organized atmosphere that TPM strives to uphold and continuously improve on!

In my book, it doesn't get any better then this club, from what they give to what they offer for tracks during thier schedule, down to the impeccable work of the coaches!

I should add that I've only ridden with TPM, but all these things that they offer and all the feedback I get from the club make me completely loyal to them!

SPRHK
02-07-2006, 12:17 AM
So far, I only here about TPM, and I hear many good things. Cakes is the only one so far to compare 2 different track clubs. I too, feel the same as Cakes as the whole "Nesba" scene feels concieted. I must admit, other than the few guys that go to the track with me time to time, I feel like quite the loner.
I have nothing but raves for Cornerspeed. Aaron Stevenson runs a top notch school and track day organization. From the first time when I took his riderschool 5yrs ago to thelast time I was there in Nov., I always felt like it was 1 large family, or group of friends. I crashed in turn 1 around lunchtime and I cant count how many people came over to see if I was alright and if there was anything that they could help with.
TPM has has my interest so far, lets see what others have to say.

Qetesh
02-07-2006, 01:02 AM
So far, I only here about TPM, and I hear many good things. Cakes is the only one so far to compare 2 different track clubs. I too, feel the same as Cakes as the whole "Nesba" scene feels concieted. I must admit, other than the few guys that go to the track with me time to time, I feel like quite the loner.
I have nothing but raves for Cornerspeed. Aaron Stevenson runs a top notch school and track day organization. From the first time when I took his riderschool 5yrs ago to thelast time I was there in Nov., I always felt like it was 1 large family, or group of friends. I crashed in turn 1 around lunchtime and I cant count how many people came over to see if I was alright and if there was anything that they could help with.

I interpreted your thread as asking why you like the club your with, not a comparison :huh:

HondaGalToo
02-07-2006, 09:39 AM
Well, I've ridden with Reduc for 10 years, and they were an awesome "local" club. However, this year they have merged with Sportbiketracktime. More of a closing than a merger from my perspective, but whatever. I could recommend Reduc highly, but they are basically no more. The same great group of folks will likely be at STT's pocono events, though. I've ridden a few events with STT and they seem to be a great organization, too. They have tracks all over the country from which to choose. They have good trackside support as well, tires, suspension help, etc. I've never ridden with TPM, but I'd like to try it out sometime, as I've heard many positive things and have several friends that ride with them. I've only heard negative things about NESBA, so I have no desire to try them out.

ffejtable
02-07-2006, 09:58 AM
Nothing new to really add, but did want to chime in giving TPM a thumbs up for all the reasons already mentioned.

Safety is definately their main concern.. They want to see everybody go home the same way they arrived...

The coaches are very helpful, and more importantly, approachable. Ask them to evalute you for a lap or two, and they will... They might even be doing it without you knowing it, and after you session they might approach you to give you some pointers. Sometimes the pointers of one coach will contradict what another coach says, but thats because of different riding styles/techniques...

I've met so many great new people since riding with TPM it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside...

If you do decide to do a day, post up and we'll be sure to stop by and say hi!

JasonB
02-07-2006, 10:29 AM
I've done 2 "try the track days". One with NESBA and one with TPM. I wasn't too crazy about NESBA because when i did "try the track day", all they did was let us go out on the track with little to no instruction. "Try the track day" with TPM was a lot better, had control riders and alot more instruction. Also with TPM we got 2 sessions and with NESBA got only one session, a thank you and that was it. After the 2nd session with TPM, we went into the classroom and they told us what they have to offer.

my .02

Ant
02-07-2006, 11:57 AM

I've done a couple days with NESBA and I thought the same thing. The coaches are very unwilling to help you and there is pretty much Zero instruction. God forbid you are trying to get moved up too. There also isn't very much trackside support. At least when I rode with them. They don't even put cones up to help you out.

DougZ
02-07-2006, 11:59 AM
This will be my second season riding with TPM, and having never ridden with any other track club, really can't make a comparison. Let me preface my opinions with the fact that I am a bitcher, I hate most people, and have no time for things that don't work or run the way I feel they should, which is, of course, the right way.

With that said, I would have to say that I like TPM overall. They have things that I do like about them and things I don't like about them. Honestly, I only started with them because one of the members now here, had started a board track day, from last year, when we were all on another board(website). He could have picked any trackclub to do it with, and I would have done it, just to get on the track. I didn't know anyone at that point anyway, so it was good to meet people that I atleast had one little thing in common with.

Anyway, after doing six track days last year and looking to hopefully double that number this year, I have some opinions.

For the most part, the coaching staff is really good. Most of the coaches, like others said, are out there to help the riders and keep things safe for everyone. Not all of them ofcourse....in my first year, we did come across a coach or two that seemed to just wanna race through the white group, and not help anyone. Luckily, that only happened one time and I never saw that type behavior again. The rest of the coaches, for the most part, are really good and available for help. A couple of coaches, for me personally, have gone out of their way to help me, which I really appreciated. I don't think that was so much because of TPM, but that is the just kind of guys they are...but luckily, they are coaching with TPM, so it makes the organization better as a whole. There was a little bit that I didn't like about the coaching in reference to different coaches having different opinions of my riding. The majority of the coaches that gave me instruction would say I was on line and doing things properly, but there have been one or two that pulled me to the side after to say the opposite. It comes down to different riding styles of the coaches, but as someone that is out there to learn, consistency of instruction is what is really needed.

The riders, as a whole, are good with TPM. You will always have a knucklehead or two, that no matter how many times they get told not to, still inside pass in the white and red groups. The coaches can't see everything, but luckily, do respond when another rider advises them of something like that is going on. It would be better if the coaches did see everything, cause no one wants to "narc" on another guy, but when people's lives can be at stake, you gotta do the right thing. Most guys are out there to have a good time, and realize its a track day and not a race, so usually things go well and everyone has a good day.

I don't make a million dollars, so the money side of things is what really gets me going. One thing I don't like is when they over book the day and have to split the white group in two. So now, instead of having three run groupls all running 20 minutes sessions, you have four run groups each running 15 minutes. Doesn't seem like a lot, but at the average of say 8 sessions in a normal day, 40 minutes is being lost, which equates to two sessions. I am not being offered a pro-rated day, or a discount for the lost time, but yet have to deal with it. That is not something I like.

So, in my opinion, there is both good and bad things, about TPM. Prolly, somewhere down to the line when I make more money and have more time for track days, I will start to use other clubs in addition to TPM, just to get on the track more...but, until then, I can't compare organizations.

Overall, again, though, TPM is a good club to ride with.

Marcmcm
02-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Wow...I did 12 days with NESBA last year and 3 with STT. I have never done TPM before but I have considered it, however NESBA has enough dates this year that I can get 23 dates on my schedule so no need to pay for another membership.

I have never seen any of the stuff that you guys have said about NESBA. There are cones out there for reference points at entrance, apex, and exit points. I know most of the control riders by first name because I have talked to and ridden with just about all of them. They are ALL very helpful and will go out of their way to help you out. I have had several of them come to my pit and talk to me, even about asking me if I wanted bumped up. NESBA doesn't have a huge trailer full of goods because they're a non-profit organization and have the essentials; tires sliders, and water.

The best thing about NESBA, rain and crash insurance. You crash, you get your money back. It rains, you get your money back. Even if it's slightly dangerous, they will close the track down. They do a thorough tech inspection and I have seen them through offensive riders not only off the track but out of the track complex altogether.

I did 3 days with STT (one I didn't bother going to because it was snowing and they were still having the trackday) I have to say I was pretty displeased with the service. I didn't care for their instruction, nor did they tell you when signing up that instruction was mandatory. Not only that, you can sign up for any group you want to. Their tech inspection was a joke as well. But I'm not one to bad mouth (a lot) a track org, so I'll just leave you with "I'm a big fan of NESBA"

soda7o
02-07-2006, 08:12 PM
when is the free track day crap this summer?
i want to try..
BTW i have no imput for you i am just casually post whoring as usual
:)

CBRBob
02-07-2006, 10:34 PM
There is no "free track day crap" this summer :nuts: :banmac:

soda7o
02-08-2006, 11:10 AM
There is no "free track day crap" this summer :nuts: :banmac:
:(

opinion914
02-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Free intro brought me to Nesba, early morning give-aways and more pocono dates then brought me to TPM. though no club will ever offer anything like the Blanford feasts Nesba used to have.

CBRBob
02-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Blanford? The one time I rode with nesba they had wet subs.

Rev
02-08-2006, 06:17 PM
I don't know anything about clubs but TPM is the first club i will start with this year. My dealership is offering a few track days but since i know these book worm bikers i'm sure crystal and I will be going to the track days with them. =) See you TPM mofo's =p

pillaka
02-09-2006, 12:24 AM
Whatever you do, don't try an inside pass on the head TPM coach going into t1 at FUSA!

DougZ
02-09-2006, 12:49 AM
Whatever you do, don't try an inside pass on the head TPM coach going into t1 at FUSA!

But you can get away with an end of the day inside pass at 140 on the "kink" of VIR North of a coach if he is going too slow and you don't know he is a coach. LOL

opinion914
02-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Blanford? The one time I rode with nesba they had wet subs.
even a wet sum looks good after a few sessions, but im talking fresh salads, fresh pork, chicken cutlets.....better than a cheap wedding.

SPRHK
02-09-2006, 02:51 PM
I interpreted your thread as asking why you like the club your with, not a comparison :huh:
This doesn't need to be a comparison, but I figured if someone has experience with multiple clubs, they would be able to give pros and cons of the clubs they have ridden with. All thoughts and experiences are welcome. The only drawback to one sided experience would be like you saying that your bike is the best in the world because you own it. You know what I mean?
As for my experiences with Nesba, it is not that I had bad experiences with them, I had many great trackdays with Nesba, Just as Cakes said , they seem concieted or as I like to say "clicky". If you aren't in the right "click" , you're on your own. I always thought that Nesba was always a very safe trackday club.

Qetesh
02-09-2006, 09:49 PM
This doesn't need to be a comparison, but I figured if someone has experience with multiple clubs, they would be able to give pros and cons of the clubs they have ridden with. All thoughts and experiences are welcome. The only drawback to one sided experience would be like you saying that your bike is the best in the world because you own it. You know what I mean?
As for my experiences with Nesba, it is not that I had bad experiences with them, I had many great trackdays with Nesba, Just as Cakes said , they seem concieted or as I like to say "clicky". If you aren't in the right "click" , you're on your own. I always thought that Nesba was always a very safe trackday club.

Gotcha :)

BTW...my bike IS the best in the world :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Hope to see you riding with TPM this year! If you do, make sure you post up what tracks you'll be heading to and you can me up with us. We'll be the two short people (Jen and Joe aka Cakes) with the kick ass SBA banner :banmac:

SPRHK
02-09-2006, 10:31 PM
Gotcha :)

BTW...my bike IS the best in the world :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Hope to see you riding with TPM this year! If you do, make sure you post up what tracks you'll be heading to and you can me up with us. We'll be the two short people (Jen and Joe aka Cakes) with the kick ass SBA banner :banmac:
Now there you go with onesided views, which are obviously incorrect, I OWN THE BEST BIKE IN THE WORLD, and I would appreciate it if you remember that!:slap: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
I will be sure to post if and when I decide to go TPM. Still waiting for the shoulder to get much better. Looks like possibly late April- early May. Keeping my fingers crossed!

By the way, where does one get SBA stickers?? I got 2 trucks, 1 enclosed trailer and a few bikes that could use a couple of stickers!!:banmac:

Cakes206
02-09-2006, 10:48 PM
are obviously incorrect, I OWN THE BEST BIKE IN THE WORLD, and I would appreciate it if you remember that!:slap: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Run...run now...head for the hills...take cover :runaway: :lol:

By the way, where does one get SBA stickers?? I got 2 trucks, 1 enclosed trailer and a few bikes that could use a couple of stickers!!:banmac:

SBA Sticker Thread (http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/t693-sba-line-of-stickers.html).

Definitely appreciate the support. Also...even though we have alot of our members who ride with TPM...we'd love to broaded the horizon with people from all over...spread the word!

Bster13
02-11-2006, 07:05 PM
I only have experience with TPM.

The good:
-Instructors are wonderful. A couple them even have SVs, specifically John S., who has spent a lot of time with me on and off the track. Also Martin was awesome in that he was willing to go out there on super corsas on a day it was pouring and get me bumped to red group after none of the other instructors would risk it (I had pilot powers and good wet traction I thought). Kevin Sullivan is always there to lend an ear, Julie rocks, Smokin' Joe is cool, Omar is always in the pits willing to give advice etc. etc. u get the point. The instructors make the club.

-Black flags. I've made a questionable pass b4 and was talked to (though not flagged) as well as I had a guy pass me inside 2 times in one lap (I passed him back each time and he did it again) and the track Marshall took my concerns, observed the guy do it to a friend and black flagged him. I believe the guy left PIER after that. :)

-Great atmosphere, but I think it's watch make of it. I'm very social and I wander the pits getting advice and saying hello. I bet if u did the same at NESBA or SETT I'd be warmly welcomed as well.

The bad:
-I don't think the administrators have a lot of experience, perhaps they are still having growing pains in how they deal with situations as they arrise, such as Rained out track session (PIR last year) and the credit card/pay in cash issue earilier this winter. I'm sure they mean right, but they'd serve themself better if they thought things through a bit more b4 addressing the public and were better prepared. Otherwise there is always someone friendly to answer the main phone #.

-The parts club, even with discounts often times is no better than internet pricing, so I don't really get any use out of it.

On the whole I'm happy. I did 6.5 days with them last year and have signed for 8 more this year (prob. more). I'd like to be a coach some day and "give back."

Bryce

wcrbikemike
02-12-2006, 05:31 PM
The majority of experience I have has been with TPM but I have also done some track days with Cornerspeed. The times I have been to Cornerspeed events have been great and they do have a strong focus on safety and I found their coaches to be to be focused on their jobs. As far as TPM goes I have been riding with them for 4 seasons and do not have 1 complaint about the organization. Others have mentioned this as well and it is really more like a family reunion at every event than anything else. By this I mean that you will always see familiar faces and have made many friends at their track events. As far as the management and coaches go, they treat everyone with respect and as others have said really focus on rider safety. The coaches are all very approachable and willing to help any rider even when the riders do not realize they are watchin not to mention just good people as well.

The trackside services are great and they offer days at some incredible tracks not just in the good old US of A but in Canada as well. I can tell you that I will be riding with them for the years to come and will also reccomend them to anyone that is looking for not just a good club to ride with but as a very educational club as well.

Just under 4 weeks to VIR. Looking forward to seeing my "track family" there.

Mike

Bster13
02-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Forgot to emphasize the air fences. That's a HUGE reason for TPM. they will even let other organizations use them as long as those organization take care of setup and transport, but they don't seem to take them up on the offer. :(

AfricanBootyScratcher
02-12-2006, 07:19 PM
it is really more like a family reunion at every event than anything else.
wow, that is soooo acurate. The day always begins and ends with hugs, and in between really good times in a safe and educational atmosphere. TPM makes it very easy to become "a part" of the club, not just a paying member. Everyone seems to have a vested intrest in helping each other achieve thier individual goals. be it the ART Basic guy just trying to get through the day in one piece, or the blue group rider who's looking for that extra bit of smoothness.

wcrbikemike
02-12-2006, 07:19 PM
Forgot to emphasize the air fences. That's a HUGE reason for TPM. they will even let other organizations use them as long as those organization take care of setup and transport, but they don't seem to take them up on the offer. :(

I did not forget, I rolled that into the safety thing. But since you mention it, yeah they do loan it to other orginazations and that says alot about the care and trust of the organization.

Bster13
02-13-2006, 10:04 AM
I set those things up as much as I can. Omar paid one a visit @ PIR one time I remember. Good stuff!

Do other organization double up on White/beginner groups as well where they are running a White I and White II? Thus limiting time on the track?

ffejtable
02-13-2006, 04:04 PM
I set those things up as much as I can. Omar paid one a visit @ PIR one time I remember. Good stuff!

Do other organization double up on White/beginner groups as well where they are running a White I and White II? Thus limiting time on the track?

TPM has tradtionally only done this at Pocono, from what Linda was telling me last year.. They did it on one of the VIR dates, and I was a little upset about it and told her this. How can I eb sure that when I sign up they arent going to go with 2 groups each, cutting my session down to 10 mins each.. TPM has been growing fast, and I want the assurance that as they grow larger, they arent going to compromise a) my safety by putting too many people out at a time b) my riding time by creating more groups....

Ant
02-13-2006, 04:08 PM

Oh yeah, this is huge, I forgot to emphasize this in my post.

Bster13
02-13-2006, 04:08 PM
I'm with you. Traditions are nice and all, but I don't want any new traditions started at any other tracks haha.

SPRHK
02-13-2006, 04:20 PM

It is my experience with Nesba that there are only so many openings per group per track. Different tracks of course change the # of participants in each group with varied track lengths / speeds. In the 6 years with Nesba, I never encountered any "double" groups.

Cakes206
02-13-2006, 08:25 PM
On the flip side, a track day with fewer people and TPM will combine two groups, gaining even more track time.
Jennings will do this as well, but I've seen them make it "Open Track" after lunch...no sessions...just go out when you want, pit when you want.

Lorenzo
02-13-2006, 08:41 PM
you love the cock

CBRBob
02-13-2006, 08:46 PM
On the flip side, a track day with fewer people and TPM will combine two groups, gaining even more track time.
Jennings will do this as well, but I've seen them make it "Open Track" after lunch...no sessions...just go out when you want, pit when you want.

Yea, we did that a few times this year. :nod2:

pillaka
02-14-2006, 11:51 PM
If you want to be in smaller groups, work on getting smoother and more comfortable on the bike, then you get bumped up! The advantages to getting bumped up are smaller groups. White group, espicially pocono is booked a month or so ahead already. Red group you can wait a little closer, and most of the time will have an opening. No one seems to be in blue group, I signed up for pocono a few times literally a few days before the event and always got in.

Bster13
02-15-2006, 01:26 AM
That's true that higher groups have lesser people usually, but it still doesn't excuse doubling up on White group and limiting track time. That affects all levels of riders on a given day. If they use this practice, the riders should know about the possibility prior to laying down the dough. :)

wcrbikemike
02-16-2006, 08:50 PM
It is not done that often. When I have seen this it is because there were so many people in art basic that they divided into a white group and an art basic group (2nd white group). There is usually not a lack of track time though.

Maybe CBR Bob and add more light to this.

Cakes206
02-16-2006, 09:37 PM
Less crashes, more track time...thats all there is to it...a 4th group(which again comes down to saftey) doesn't really affect much as long as the # of times the crash truck has to go out is kept to a minimum.

Bster13
02-16-2006, 09:41 PM
I never timed the session with one white group vs. two, but a friend of mine on this msg. board told me that the track marshall shortens the sessions by 5 minutes when running with two groups. I'm not sure if they stay later to make up that time by running an extra session, but it'd think not as TPM is usually on a pretty tight schedule to get out on time. I guess I notice TPM doing this more than often because I was always at PIR East last year...

Cakes206
02-16-2006, 09:51 PM
Theres all different ways to make up time...from makin lunch a lil shorter to shortening session here and there...by like 2 min...

ffejtable
02-17-2006, 12:24 PM
Less crashes, more track time...thats all there is to it...a 4th group(which again comes down to saftey) doesn't really affect much as long as the # of times the crash truck has to go out is kept to a minimum.

Huh? That turns your 20 minute session into a 15 minute session.... thats a 25% reduction in my track time, with a 0% reduction in my track fee..Figure the average day is 8 sessions, thats only 120 mins of riding time instead of 160... thats rather significant.

Sure, accidents probably have a bigger impact on our riding time, but thats just part of the process, and as much as I hate to see it happen, I do expect it...

High_Revs_17
02-17-2006, 12:48 PM
I've seen them make it "Open Track" after lunch...no sessions...just go out when you want, pit when you want.

Awesome idea...but how do they control the congestion between slower and faster groups like White & Blue?

Bster13
02-17-2006, 12:50 PM
thought they only go "open session" when there are very little people left? Like when it's raining...everyone packs and goes home, and 1/2 hour later the sun comes out.

Cakes206
02-17-2006, 01:16 PM
Huh? That turns your 20 minute session into a 15 minute session.... thats a 25% reduction in my track time, with a 0% reduction in my track fee..Figure the average day is 8 sessions, thats only 120 mins of riding time instead of 160... thats rather significant.

Sure, accidents probably have a bigger impact on our riding time, but thats just part of the process, and as much as I hate to see it happen, I do expect it...

Ive never seen then reduce the sessions by 5 whole miutes...not saying it never/won't/can't happen...just that I haven't experienced it. I have seen sessions cut like 2 minutes...lot of times whoever is working pit out will make that call depending on how the day is going...sometimes in order to end with a full rotation of the classes thats what has to be done. Most tracks will not allow any overtime...sometimes TPM will purchase an extra hour if they can too.

Awesome idea...but how do they control the congestion between slower and faster groups like White & Blue?

They don't. This was at Jennings btw...not a TPM event.

DougZ
02-17-2006, 01:35 PM
Ive never seen then reduce the sessions by 5 whole miutes...not saying it never/won't/can't happen...just that I haven't experienced it. I have seen sessions cut like 2 minutes...lot of times whoever is working pit out will make that call depending on how the day is going...sometimes in order to end with a full rotation of the classes thats what has to be done. Most tracks will not allow any overtime...sometimes TPM will purchase an extra hour if they can too.

Cutting down track time.........and it was by 5 minutes........my cheap ass was timing it to see how much I was getting jipped by. Happened twice out of the six track days I did last year......maybe just dumb luck with Pocono...but it happens.

Cakes206
02-17-2006, 02:01 PM
Cutting down track time.........and it was by 5 minutes........

What was different when this was happening?

AfricanBootyScratcher
02-17-2006, 02:05 PM
Keep in mind, this 4 group thing generally only happens at Pocono. AND at pocono the day is an hour longer anyway, so it makes up for a bunch of it.
BTW, most people don't even run all the sessions anyway!! I'm always hearing people say "ooh i'm beat, I think I'll sit this one out"

DougZ
02-17-2006, 02:31 PM
What was different when this was happening?

Two white groups.

Bster13
02-17-2006, 02:35 PM
tis true peopel thin out as the day goes on as they get tired, but I want the option is all. I've been lifting heavily since Thxgiving so I can have Omar's stamina. :p

wcrbikemike
02-17-2006, 04:26 PM
As mentioned earlier that they run an hour longer sometimes. I have known that to be the case alot of times.

Bster13
02-17-2006, 04:28 PM
I haven't kept track at PIR cause I didn't know they were shortening sessions...couple of different opinions/theories on this. I guess I'll try to pay attention going forward. but I don't play to be at PIR ~quite~ as much hehe...

VIR, Shannonville, Beaver, possible SUmmit here I come! :)

SPRHK
02-17-2006, 05:14 PM
A quick fix to the problem,is figure out the maximum for the 1white group,per particular track. Then, limit your entries to that #. Anyone else after that # gets put on a waiting list. As spots become available due to whatever reason, first on the list comes first.

Also, if you dont like the way the club runs itself, you can always quit and start your own trackday club where your particular "group" gets an extra 5 minutes per session to make up for all the jipped sessions you've had in the past with other clubs.

RCM78
02-17-2006, 05:27 PM
Yes, TPM does run two white groups at pocono occasionally. Yes the sessions are 15 minutes instead of 20. Yes, we do rent the track for 1 hour longer at pocono then any other track.
They do this because Pocono has the largest amount of new riders showing up. New riders keep this business going.

What people dont realize is that there is also a "Black" group. It's the next skill level up from blue. Select track days will run a Black group. At these events there will be four groups. These are usually days that are backed up to race weekends. I'm assuming March 10th at VIR will have a Black group...

wcrbikemike
02-17-2006, 06:26 PM
Yes, TPM does run two white groups at pocono occasionally. Yes the sessions are 15 minutes instead of 20. Yes, we do rent the track for 1 hour longer at pocono then any other track.
They do this because Pocono has the largest amount of new riders showing up. New riders keep this business going.

What people dont realize is that there is also a "Black" group. It's the next skill level up from blue. Select track days will run a Black group. At these events there will be four groups. These are usually days that are backed up to race weekends. I'm assuming March 10th at VIR will have a Black group...

Verry good point. I have also seen TPM rent the track for an extra hour at VIR and BeaveRun. They try to give you as much track time as possible. On the flip side I have been at the track when you loose 1 or two sessions due to someone going down and having to shut the track down so the chopper can come in and land.

I guess you just have days when you get more track time than nother days and that is the way it would be with any club or racing organization. Go out, have fun, and be safe.

Roberts
02-17-2006, 06:42 PM
The black group has been gone for a year now. :wave2: Anytime there is four groups they are 15 min sessions. BOYCOTT POCONO and go to the other tracks for more riding time, less congestion & to support tracks that actually want bikes there

The bad:
-I don't think the administrators have a lot of experience, perhaps they are still having growing pains in how they deal with situations as they arrise, such as Rained out track session (PIR last year) and the credit card/pay in cash issue earilier this winter. I'm sure they mean right, but they'd serve themself better if they thought things through a bit more b4 addressing the public and were better prepared. Otherwise there is always someone friendly to answer the main phone #.

I have to agree with you on this. Three years ago I would have disagreed, two years ago i'd say only on a limited basis, but last year, totally agree. And all the little charges they came up with, sounds more corporate & less club every year.

On a personal note, I have met a lot of really cool people through TPM. From the staff, coaches & just riders.

TPM is very safety orientated, thats for sure; but as they grow it feels more business & less personal and that is a shame. I still feel love for all the staff, maybe they just grew too fast? I wish they would go back to just gold & standard memberships, just give good prices across the board at the parts store & stop going to Pocono ( ok so the Pocono thing is old, but I can dream :lol: ) Simplicity is fun.

RCM78
02-17-2006, 07:41 PM
The black group has been gone for a year now. :wave2:

No it's not... They just run Black group sessions at particular events...

Roberts
02-18-2006, 02:18 AM
No it's not... They just run Black group sessions at particular events...

According to Linda & Glen at the beginning of last season the Black group was no more. Unless they brought it back, but I didn't witness one Black group last year?

RCM78
02-18-2006, 10:05 AM
According to Linda & Glen at the beginning of last season the Black group was no more. Unless they brought it back, but I didn't witness one Black group last year?

We did run the black group a few times last year. At least twice.
Riders can still be bumped to the black group but it must be aproved by Glen.
The Black group does exist...

AfricanBootyScratcher
02-18-2006, 11:10 AM
tis true peopel thin out as the day goes on as they get tired, but I want the option is all. I've been lifting heavily since Thxgiving so I can have Omar's stamina. :p
chicks dig STAMINA!! haha

Bster13
02-18-2006, 12:47 PM
I hope they dig ratty Svs and slow guys. :)

duc748pilot
02-20-2006, 11:38 AM
We did run the black group a few times last year. At least twice.
Riders can still be bumped to the black group but it must be aproved by Glen.
The Black group does exist...

i didnt do too many trackdays last season, but should do a fair amount this season. when is the black group run? just when they have enough licensed racers to warrant it?

Bster13
02-20-2006, 12:11 PM
Usually b4 race wknds I think. I've never seen them run at PIR

RCM78
02-20-2006, 12:15 PM
i didnt do too many trackdays last season, but should do a fair amount this season. when is the black group run? just when they have enough licensed racers to warrant it?

Only when the trackday is before or after a race weekend like march 10 at VIR.

crammer
02-20-2006, 07:58 PM
This will be my 4th season as a member of TPM - I had a difficult decision to make this season; it was a heated battle between TPM or NESBA. Why? NESBA will be at Nelson this year plus they run basicly the same venues as TPM. But I decided to rejoin with TPM for the "family atmosphere" at their events. I've ran with STT and also NESBA and they all put on a good show, I just feel more at home with TPM.

Hopefully this year I won't wreck while being evaulated to go to the Blue group. lol

Party on, Jeremy