PDA

View Full Version : Brembo Master Cylinder for the TLR

BurnCycle
01-18-2006, 01:36 PM
The master cylinder on my TLR is busted so I downgraded to a Brembo 19x18 unit. Downgraded?!? Yep, the one on the bike was a sweet AP Racing unit. I had contacted them about a new body but they basically told me to F off and buy a new one. My latest new Yoshimura full system didn’t cost as much as the AP unit. The adjustable ratio lever (which is still fully intact) goes for half the price of what I paid for the Brembo MC!

Anyway…

Crap!
http://www.mariposaderojo.com/Pics/TLR/Debris/APRMC1.jpg

The lowly replacement.
http://www.mariposaderojo.com/Pics/TLR/Debris/BremboBMC1.jpg

duc748pilot
01-18-2006, 01:41 PM
umm.....ok....im confused.

High_Revs_17
01-18-2006, 01:49 PM
Damn...that's what I hate about aluminum. :ohmygod:

BurnCycle
01-18-2006, 01:52 PM
umm.....ok....im confused.

What part?

High_Revs_17
01-18-2006, 01:59 PM
I'm just curious to know why you're killing yourself paying for these high-priced items when you do this as a hobby? If you were trying to reach pro status then I'd somewhat understand. If a brake lever system costs that much the thing should be made of titanium. :uh:

duc748pilot
01-18-2006, 02:01 PM
my confusion is non scpecific........confused?

BurnCycle
01-18-2006, 02:20 PM
my confusion is non scpecific........confused?

Yes.

BurnCycle
01-18-2006, 02:35 PM
I'm just curious to know why you're killing yourself paying for these high-priced items when you do this as a hobby? If you were trying to reach pro status then I'd somewhat understand. If a brake lever system costs that much the thing should be made of titanium. :uh:

Do some research on aftermarket master cylinders and some of them make Brembo look like budget solution. I did not buy the AP unit, it was on the bike when I got it.

You may have never looked at the function of the MC or how changing it effects braking performance, I have. From squeezing the original 14mm piston on the TLS's master so hard it would touch the bar to the 5/8" master taken off a TLR that aided immensely with braking performance to the radial 3/4" GSXR unit (Nissin) that offers a great deal more feel and power. My brakes have continually been upgraded over time; the master cylinder is something that can not be overlooked when making those changes.

This MC will be on the TLR... A track specific bike. I'd like to think that braking isn't going to be a problem when slowing from 155+ into T1 at Summit.

BTW... Who said I was killing myself paying for these things?

tommymac
01-18-2006, 02:44 PM
They arent TL owners so they dont understand LOL

Tom

duc748pilot
01-18-2006, 02:50 PM
brembo? a budget solution? LOL.....look around an AMA paddock...or a motogp paddock.......then take a look at each budget. im curious as to how you see this as a "lowly" replacement.

do you race or just do trackdays?

BurnCycle
01-18-2006, 03:18 PM
brembo? a budget solution? LOL.....look around an AMA paddock...or a motogp paddock.......then take a look at each budget. im curious as to how you see this as a "lowly" replacement.

do you race or just do trackdays?

I see your confusion now... Sarcasm often is lost in the written word, especially if I'm writing it.

The Brembo unit is not a lowly or a budget MC but compared to the $595 retail price of the AP unit it's 1/3 the cost... Is it coming together yet?

Track days with the hopes of doing some of the GP Moto Cup races during the later half of the year.

BurnCycle
01-18-2006, 03:18 PM
They arent TL owners so they dont understand LOL

Tom

:banghead:

I keep forgetting that. :D

High_Revs_17
01-18-2006, 03:48 PM
BTW... Who said I was killing myself paying for these things?

It seems that you're the one, by always commenting on how expensive the equiptment is that you purchase...

BurnCycle
01-18-2006, 04:08 PM
It seems that you're the one, by always commenting on how expensive the equiptment is that you purchase...

Um... OK... I commented that the AP racing MC was too expensive to replace so I picked up a Brembo unit at 1/3 the cost of the AP MC. I clearly stated that the AP was on the bike when I got (albeit broken). I've also stated that I have experiment with different MC's and can ascertain from experience what will be most beneficial for my needs.

:jerkit:

High_Revs_17
01-18-2006, 06:12 PM
I commented that the AP racing MC was too expensive to replace so I picked up a Brembo unit at 1/3 the cost of the AP MC. I clearly stated that the AP was on the bike when I got (albeit broken). I've also stated that I have experiment with different MC's and can ascertain from experience what will be most beneficial for my needs.

:jerkit:

No need to jerk yourself about it ha-ha...if you post a thread you should be able to handle simple questions and comments.

BurnCycle
01-18-2006, 06:43 PM
No need to jerk yourself about it ha-ha...if you post a thread you should be able to handle simple questions and comments.

OK… I deleted this from my other post but…

Fuck You

I have answered the questions in this thread, but I can’t make heads or tails about where you’re coming from or why.

YOU wanted to know why I was killing myself buying these parts. I said I wasn’t and gave a reasonable response why. Then you come back that I comment on how expensive the equipment is that I purchase. Bullshit. I passed a comment on how expensive the AP MC is. Did I buy a replacement? NO. Why? Too expensive. I made a comment that the Brembo unit was 1/3 the cost of the AP MC. I also made a reference to the sarcasm I attempted to use, guess you didn’t get it either.

BTW, this may help with other theads… Please Click (http://www.rif.org/)

Cakes206
01-18-2006, 07:07 PM
Thanks for sharing Burn...let us know how the Bremo works out for you.

simple questions and comments.

Or interrogation?

High_Revs_17
01-18-2006, 07:24 PM
Fuck You

I have answered the questions in this thread, but I can’t make heads or tails about where you’re coming from or why.

So now you're an internet tough guy, do yourself a favor, if you can't respond properly then stop acting like an asshole and keep your fuckin mouth shut. I have been nothing but courteous to you up to this point and this is the pattycake bullshit I get over a simple thing...acting like a big fuckin baby. :nono:

High_Revs_17
01-18-2006, 07:25 PM
Or interrogation?

Yeah...but the question is who?

IrocRob
01-18-2006, 07:39 PM
Will you two just lighten up a bit? It's the internet silly!
Attitude, sarcasm, sense of humor, etc. just don't come through clearly.

:lol: CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?:lol:

BTW: Nice work on the bike BC :biggthump

BurnCycle
01-18-2006, 08:17 PM

Last thing to add to about HR17...
http://www.mariposaderojo.com/Pics/_Debris/TardHR17.jpg

High_Revs_17
01-18-2006, 08:47 PM
BTW: Nice work on the bike BC :biggthump

Yeah, that's what I told him a dozen times regarding his mods before he told me to fuck off...nice guy huh? Some people just don't get it, must be somthing in the water down there in VA. At least it's good for mt. biking but common courtesy seems to be out of the norm for some unknown reason. :lol:

Commuta_Busa
01-19-2006, 12:03 PM
I got a question....

how the hell did the master get broken like that????

just finished mounting my AP's
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/kwklein/a_PB151773.jpg

BurnCycle
01-19-2006, 01:14 PM
OMG :hail:

The TLR that I am bringing back to life had a nasty accident at the track. The frame and forks have been measured and are straight and the motor is good but just about most everything else needs some sort of attention.

Replaced swing arm, new clip-on’s, new front fairing stay...
http://www.mariposaderojo.com/Pics/TLR/05Jan06.jpg

Gear Dog
01-19-2006, 01:29 PM
looking good.
Any chance in taking the old one to a machinist and have them fabing up a new one?

BurnCycle
01-19-2006, 01:57 PM
looking good.
Any chance in taking the old one to a machinist and have them fabing up a new one?

Nope. But for $50 you're more than welcome to try.

motopix
01-19-2006, 06:10 PM
Bern, if you're going to run 6 pot calipers the 19x18 is not for you. You probably know that already but I thought I'd point it out. I can't remember the right size for 6 pots but I think it's 19x20.

BurnCycle
01-19-2006, 06:53 PM
Jeff,

I went over a lot of posts on TLP on this subject before I made the decision. A few members had tried both and preferred the feel of the 19x18 over the 19x20. :)

19x16 dont know what it feels like but would think feels very soft 1/2 finger stoppie

19x18 nice feel has travel doesn’t quite go completely solid 1 finger stoppie great power what we use on the race bike, if I was getting one it would be this one.

19x20 feels like you are grabbing a 2x4

I have the 19x18 on my TLS with the TLR 6 pots. Feel is excellent and although the lever never really feels that firm, stopping power is fantastic.

I agree, i have the 19x18 on both my bikes. It is the way to go, it has awesome feel with PLENTY of power

Cakes206
01-19-2006, 07:00 PM
Burn, what is this 19x16, 18, 20 you speaketh of?

HondaGalToo
01-19-2006, 07:10 PM
Burn, what is this 19x16, 18, 20 you speaketh of?

I'm not Burn, :roflmao: but the numbers refer to the dimensions of aftermarket master cylinders. The 19x18, for example, the 19 is the inner diameter of the cylinder, and the 20 is the inter-axis between lever fulcrum and point of suport to the piston (in mm's, I believe). I got that from a website. :lol:
The 16x18 is for single discs, the 19x18 and 19x20 are for two disc systems.
(I have a Brembo 19x18 on my 929)

Cakes206
01-19-2006, 07:13 PM
I'm not Burn, :roflmao: but the numbers refer to the dimensions of aftermarket master cylinders. The 19x18, for example, the 19 is the inner diameter of the cylinder, and the 20 is the inter-axis between lever fulcrum and point of suport to the piston (in mm's, I believe). I got that from a website. :lol:
The 16x18 is for single discs, the 19x18 and 19x20 are for two disc systems.
(I have a Brembo 19x18 on my 929)

LOL Judy...ok the first # I'm fine with...but the inter what between the what with the what? :wtf: :lol:

HondaGalToo
01-19-2006, 07:17 PM
LOL Judy...ok the first # I'm fine with...but the inter what between the what with the what? :wtf: :lol:

Yeah, I dunno. I got the definition from the Red Racing Parts site! ;)
It has something to do with lever travel, though. There's more lever travel with a 19x18 compared to a 19x20, so I'm told. I do have a lot of travel with my 19x18, but I love the feel!

High_Revs_17
01-19-2006, 07:20 PM
just finished mounting my AP's

Sweet mods Ken! If you stop any quicker you'll detatch a retina! :lol:

Cakes206
01-19-2006, 07:21 PM
Yeah, I dunno. I got the definition from the Red Racing Parts site! ;)
It has something to do with lever travel, though. There's more lever travel with a 19x18 compared to a 19x20, so I'm told. I do have a lot of travel with my 19x18, but I love the feel!

Hmm...how can one tell which one is on there?

motopix
01-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Brembos are stamped with the size

motopix
01-19-2006, 09:16 PM
Jeff,

I went over a lot of posts on TLP on this subject before I made the decision. A few members had tried both and preferred the feel of the 19x18 over the 19x20. :)

Cool. The previous owner had mentioned he didn't like the 19x18 on there at some point (maybe the AP was 19x18?) but alot of it is personal preference. That AP MC was so sweet. It was the first thing I checked post crash :LOL: The vultures were already circling.

I have 19x18s on all my bike because they are 4 pot although I do have some tasty 6 pots I was thinking about bolting onto the 750.

I think you have Vesrah SRJL pads, no? Those things are pimpin' last a long time but are really pricey.

Too bad none of it will keep you from getting 2 smoked by the 2fiddy. :boogie:

BurnCycle
01-20-2006, 09:02 AM
Brembos are stamped with the size
http://www.mariposaderojo.com/Pics/TLR/Debris/BremboBMC3.jpg

BurnCycle
01-20-2006, 09:05 AM
Cool. The previous owner had mentioned he didn't like the 19x18 on there at some point (maybe the AP was 19x18?) but alot of it is personal preference. That AP MC was so sweet. It was the first thing I checked post crash :LOL: The vultures were already circling.

I have 19x18s on all my bike because they are 4 pot although I do have some tasty 6 pots I was thinking about bolting onto the 750.

I think you have Vesrah SRJL pads, no? Those things are pimpin' last a long time but are really pricey.

:lol: yeah yeah yeah... I fully expect to sniffing smoke on the track. :crazy:

BurnCycle
04-21-2006, 08:21 AM
haha... bringing up this old topic...

You might be right Jeff... My initial testing with the 19x18 leaves a lot to be desired with lever travel and effectiveness. 3/4 of travel is basically useless and the last 1/4 of movement is where it's all at... but I don't believe it's enough to bring the bike down from 'track' speeds.

Monday is going to be a long day me thinks...

motopix
04-21-2006, 08:27 AM
Well to some extent, that's just the way the Brembo 19x18 feels. It's that way on my bike too. It doesn't feel like it's doing much.

But when I spin the wheel and apply the brakes a little, there is braking force being applied. Look at it as having a progressive feel on the lever.

On the otherhand, that feel/force progression might be less for six pots because you're trying to move more fluid in the calipers.

Having said that, I have no idea what I'm talking about. Except to say that some people do not like the initial 'mushy' feeling of the Brembo.

BurnCycle
04-21-2006, 08:35 AM
The 19mm Nissin radial I have on the TLS has a lot better feel than this... Maybe I'll swap the two…

I emailed Bernie and he worried about the same thing I am hence his decision to remove it and go with the AP unit.

What I'm curious to know is... Does 2mm of lever ratio really effect the feel that much (referring to the 19x20)? I have no idea with the ratio of the Nissin is compared to the Brembo other than it is able to move the fluid in a more effective way.

FS or Trade: 1 19x18 Brembo MC. :LOL:

motopix
04-21-2006, 08:56 AM
Here's a pretty good little write on MCs I just found
http://motorcyclebloggers.com/tech-talk-articles/brakes-101/master-cylinders/

BurnCycle
04-21-2006, 09:07 AM
Thanks Jeff... That just answered a lot of questions. :cheers

NYCSTRIPES
04-21-2006, 11:01 AM
I am waiting for my father to get the time to return my PFM iron brake rotors since they are being resurfaced, then I'll be installing a Nissin radial brake MC on my TLR. Hope the improvement is there for the brakes. TLR's are heavy...
Ken

BurnCycle
04-21-2006, 11:05 AM
Ken,

I really like the radial Nissin on my TLS and have no intention of replacing it. You should be very happy with it once it's on. :nod2:

BurnCycle
03-11-2007, 06:28 PM
Er... problem fixed.

I was able to come buy a set of calipers from a low mileage '05 Busa. Since they are the same calipers as the TLR's doing the swap was fairly simple.

Over the course of this past year I had been coming to the conclusion that the Brembo ratio (19x18 verse 19x20 driving 6-piston calipers) wasn't the issue but that the calipers themselves had issues. The thing is it is easier and about the same cost to get newish used calipers than it is to get a seal and piston kit. Sure enough, after the system was bleed with the new calipers on I had power in the lever I had never felt before!

One task down... a few more to go. :)