PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new jacket

Gear Dog
01-18-2006, 12:24 AM
I'm getting a jacket for Valentines day and I'm tinking of an Icon motorhead jacket.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/photos/OG/i18221.jpg

I also like this Joe Rocket jacket as well
http://www.denniskirk.com/denniskirk/b2c/product_images/k/a/w/600pix/kawfactracingjktblk1.jpg

What do you guys think???

High_Revs_17
01-18-2006, 12:31 AM
I heard guys that have crash tested JoeRocket jackets at mid to high speeds (over 60 mph) said the seams of the jacket fell apart and it was a second rate jacket compared to others like Dianese, Alpinestar, Teknic, etc...I still haven't heard anything great about the Icon's regarding crash testing, but if you intend to get either one be sure they have built-in armor, and if not then it would be wise to pick some up along with a back protector, depending on your riding style.

Personally...when I throw a leg over I'll be slipping back into a Teknic, it was crash tested BY ME at over 60mph and it did the job with flying colors.

Rev
01-18-2006, 03:31 AM
hey ron 1.0 is there any documentation on that...I mean joe rocket is one of the biggest leather/protection companies on the market...do you really think thier leather will fall apart like that???...

oh i like the 2nd one..the joe rocket version...i like some icon stuff but not that one..

njf4i
01-18-2006, 08:41 AM
Well i have owned a joe rocket speedmaster 2.0 for the past season, and everyone that i talked to said its a great jacket. I even asked Ron at WCW and he said its one of the better jackets out there. So Ron i don't know where your getting your facts from but i think your wrong.

Here is the jacket i got last year. Make sure you check www.newenough.com for prices. They were the cheapest for me when i did my searching last year.

http://www.newenough.com/product_pictures/j/joe_rocket_speedmaster_jacket/red_front.jpg

JasonB
01-18-2006, 10:57 AM
Get a Vanson

High_Revs_17
01-18-2006, 11:56 AM
hey ron 1.0 is there any documentation on that...I mean joe rocket is one of the biggest leather/protection companies on the market...do you really think thier leather will fall apart like that???...

Can't document everything you hear and/or put to memory and I've never crash tested a JR jacket, but the one's who have said that the jacket barely made it thru a moderate speed wreck before the seams that hold the leather pieces together came lose. That's not the first time I've heard or seen that happening on JR's products, they can be the largest motorcycle leather supplier on the planet but if they're cutting costs while increasing productivity and overlooking the fine points of quality then things like that happen. Proper tripple stitching on every seam is essential to ensure the jacket stays together around your body, cuz those threads are the only link to what's saving your skin in the end.

Well i have owned a joe rocket speedmaster 2.0 for the past season, and everyone that i talked to said its a great jacket. I even asked Ron at WCW and he said its one of the better jackets out there. So Ron i don't know where your getting your facts from but i think your wrong.

I believe there was an issue with the stitching on that one also, and it happened after only a short time of regular use without the result of a wreck. It is a nice looking jacket but lose stitching like that is a red flag. Of course Ron's going to say it's a good jacket, he's not going to discredit it regarding it's price range. You've never had to test that jacket and I pray you never have to, so in the end I hope I'm wrong...

Rock712
01-18-2006, 12:31 PM
Get a Darian or if you have the money get a roadcrafter

http://www.aerostich.com/home.php?cat=248

Kurts1000RR
01-18-2006, 12:32 PM
I heard guys that have crash tested JoeRocket jackets at mid to high speeds (over 60 mph) said the seams of the jacket fell apart and it was a second rate jacket compared to others like Dianese, Alpinestar, Teknic, etc...I still haven't heard anything great about the Icon's regarding crash testing, but if you intend to get either one be sure they have built-in armor, and if not then it would be wise to pick some up along with a back protector, depending on your riding style.

Personally...when I throw a leg over I'll be slipping back into a Teknic, it was crash tested BY ME at over 60mph and it did the job with flying colors.

Thats nice to know, Ive got the Rocket Sonic. I do like the look of the Rocket better.

simmons5
01-18-2006, 02:23 PM
I have a jacket from elitewears.com they make there jackets like Vanson....Custom for every rider..you send them your measurements and they can make anything.......I went down pretty hard last week.......Tore up my jeans scratched my helmet....My jacket held up like a champ.......I fewll on my shoulder so I guess thats right where a seem is and it didn't even scratch it.

JasonB
01-18-2006, 03:43 PM
I have a jacket from elitewears.com they make there jackets like Vanson....Custom for every rider..you send them your measurements and they can make anything.......I went down pretty hard last week.......Tore up my jeans scratched my helmet....My jacket held up like a champ.......I fewll on my shoulder so I guess thats right where a seem is and it didn't even scratch it.
My track gear is a two piece Elitewears. Fits pretty good, i need to break it in more.

Gear Dog
01-18-2006, 04:28 PM
Yeah I keep going to their site, my problem is the custom option.
I would like to get one but if I can do a custom jacket I can't decide what I want done.

IrocRob
01-18-2006, 07:33 PM
Part of the problem with the bad reputation that Joe Rocket has with some folks
is that they purchased a "fake" - The company has been chasing after counterfeiters
for several years. Be careful where you buy folks.:banghead:

Rev
01-18-2006, 08:00 PM
Well i like JR, that's just me..but if you want good protection hit up Dianese...rowr

High_Revs_17
01-18-2006, 08:39 PM
Part of the problem with the bad reputation that Joe Rocket has with some folks is that they purchased a "fake" - The company has been chasing after counterfeiters for several years. Be careful where you buy folks.:banghead:

Interesting...have you heard of any places that sold the fakes?

JasonB
01-18-2006, 08:40 PM
Well i like JR, that's just me..but if you want good protection hit up Dianese...rowr
Or Vanson

JimRBlue
02-06-2006, 01:22 PM
Another Jacket.

With the warm weather coming I have been looking onto the Vanson Mark2 Cobra due to the ventilation and almost all year capabilities. Then in time getting a pair of pants. After reading this thread I was also looking at 2 piece sets.

http://www.elitewears.com/index.php?cPath=25

Which would offer the best value / protection in the long run or is it a wash?

JimRBlue
02-10-2006, 03:43 PM
Finally got one. I wound up going back to WCW and getting the Vanson Cobra 3. Ron gave me a good deal and the jacket did come stock with the Armor ( not the rigid plastic but the soft kind. I will see which flavor of the soft armor is actually in there. The jacket did not come with the back protector which is being ordered. That will be an extra 70.00 when it gets here. I think one of the best selling points for me was the ventilation system it has. Even new, the jacket is quite comfortable and can't wait for it to get a little more

Tonupboy
03-22-2006, 08:14 PM
Im still shopping for a mesh jacket...lol

FigNewTon
03-23-2006, 10:03 AM
If you are going to spend the money check out Barnacle Bill's and have a custom made for you.

http://www.racingleather.com/

shadoxkila
03-23-2006, 04:25 PM
i personally have a nexx unlimited jacket....sweet lookin and i havent heard anything really bad about them yet

duc748pilot
03-23-2006, 04:28 PM

Here is the jacket i got last year. Make sure you check www.newenough.com for prices. They were the cheapest for me when i did my searching last year.
:nod2:

We all know ive tested out my joe rocket a few times the last being a highside at pocono raceway beginning of last season. Shit held up great numerous times. Until kennedy used that suit that is. :confused:. No concerns whatsoever about the quality of the product.

Last season I got a deal on the Motogp Kangroo compression suit through one of my sponsors. Fit is incredible, light as all hell, and comfortable. Cannot comment on durability (knock on wood) didnt crash during the last race season. Hopefully I wont find out this season.