PDA

View Full Version : Rding Style

njf4i
06-03-2005, 05:27 PM
I just wanted to get everyones opinion on something. It seems that this year i have been getting lower and lower on the bike. But about 2 weeks ago taking a typical nj highway exit, I put the bike into the turn and my foot scraped the road. It scared the living hell out of me. Got a little squirley but held it together.

So this past monday lorenzo and i were out and it happened to me about 3 times. So at that point i realized i need to put my toes on the pegs and ride into turns.

It took a while to get use to but i think i got it down. But my question is proper riding style with your toes on the pegs? Or should i be looking at getting new rear sets?

How do you guys ride hard into turns on the street or the track?

Cakes206
06-03-2005, 06:44 PM
I just wanted to get everyones opinion on something. It seems that this year i have been getting lower and lower on the bike. But about 2 weeks ago taking a typical nj highway exit, I put the bike into the turn and my foot scraped the road. It scared the living hell out of me. Got a little squirley but held it together.

So this past monday lorenzo and i were out and it happened to me about 3 times. So at that point i realized i need to put my toes on the pegs and ride into turns.

It took a while to get use to but i think i got it down. But my question is proper riding style with your toes on the pegs? Or should i be looking at getting new rear sets?

In the beginning it sounds like your feet were a lil to far forward and out. For regular riding I like to keep the ball of my feet on the peg itself...for the track when setting up for a turn I slide my inside foot out to the edge of the peg and pivot my leg outward on the ball of my foot...how far I hang off all depends on my speed...hang off more the faster I'm going...I will do the same for street riding but only if I'm wearin my 2pc leathers...If I'm wearin jeans I try not to stick my leg out, but rather I scoot my ass over using the crack method(best way to describe it is sitting with the crack of yer ass right on the edge of the seat) and keep my knee in towards the fairing more. Reason being is, if you low side in jeans and your knee is sticking out...theres a good chance your knee is gonna hit first and do some damage.

Hope this helps.

DougZ
06-03-2005, 06:58 PM
Yeah, what Cakes said is pretty much right on. I scraped my toe slider, on my boots ,at the track, this past weekend, with pegs under balls of feet, and it also scared the hell out of me. When I came off the track and told the other guys about, I thought they would be like yeah, good job on getting so low, but, they actually told me I was leaning too far, and that I should hang off more instead.

Other advice I have received in terms of how far to lean is to think about it like a $10 bill. You always wanna have some change left over, just in case you need it.

Hope that helps. Dude, come do a trackday, if you like leaning that far over on the street and really make that bike handle, you'll love the track.

Qetesh
06-03-2005, 08:00 PM

I ride with the toes of my feet on the pegs and my heels tucked in towards the rearsets. It's not very comfortable, but it prevents me from accidentally dragging my shoe.

Question...do you still have your peg feelers on? If so, take them off ASAP. You really don't need them and if you happen to catch it while leaned over you'll loop it.

AfricanBootyScratcher
06-04-2005, 10:08 AM
always on the balls of my feet. dragging hard parts is bad, very bad, so get your ass off the seat

Mack
06-04-2005, 10:17 AM
Yeah, what Cakes said is pretty much right on. I scraped my toe slider, on my boots ,at the track, this past weekend, with pegs under balls of feet, and it also scared the hell out of me. When I came off the track and told the other guys about, I thought they would be like yeah, good job on getting so low, but, they actually told me I was leaning too far, and that I should hang off more instead.

Other advice I have received in terms of how far to lean is to think about it like a $10 bill. You always wanna have some change left over, just in case you need it.

Hope that helps. Dude, come do a trackday, if you like leaning that far over on the street and really make that bike handle, you'll love the track.

yeah everyone get to the track.....you can't have fun on the road....just go to the track....don't pay your rent this month so you can go to the track......if you can't tell I'm being sarcastic

Mack
06-04-2005, 10:18 AM
yes I"m an ass...but back to the topic at hand...you definately need to hang more lean less....I was dragging pegs all last year till I changed my riding style and now I can go faster through the twist but do not have the bike leaned hard over unless I really need to

njf4i
06-04-2005, 10:45 AM
yes I"m an ass...but back to the topic at hand...you definately need to hang more lean less....I was dragging pegs all last year till I changed my riding style and now I can go faster through the twist but do not have the bike leaned hard over unless I really need to

Dude you have been riding with me all season. You know that i hang my ass off that seat. If i didn't the bike wouldn't come down as much.

I'm just a wittle guy at 130lbs. So i need all the help i can get throwing it around. :roflmao:

AfricanBootyScratcher
06-04-2005, 11:38 AM
Dude you have been riding with me all season. You know that i hang my ass off that seat. If i didn't the bike wouldn't come down as much.
If you hang off properly, the bike DOES"T lean as much.

I'm just a wittle guy at 130lbs. So i need all the help i can get throwing it around. :roflmao:
It's called counterstearing, minimumal effort for maximum results

DougZ
06-04-2005, 12:09 PM
If you hang off properly, the bike DOES"T lean as much.

It's called counterstearing, minimumal effort for maximum results

Exactly.

nfs21f4i
06-04-2005, 12:27 PM
nick you've already been chopped short at the knees whats wrong with cutting a few inches off of the toes , jk buddy ill see you

Cakes206
06-04-2005, 06:30 PM

Ok, so you're ass is off the seat...where are your shoulders? You wanna lead with your inside shoulder and put your head almost where your mirrors are, all while looking where you want to go.

yeah everyone get to the track.....you can't have fun on the road....just go to the track....don't pay your rent this month so you can go to the track......if you can't tell I'm being sarcastic

Track riding has made me a much better street rider.

Mack
06-04-2005, 08:03 PM
Track riding has made me a much better street rider.

Don't doubt it but not everyone can afford to go to the track but everyone tells people go to the track go to the track....get a little annoying...I've been told by people who have been riding far less years and have far less skills then me that I need to go to the track and learn my fundimentals well :jerkit: ....so I'm a little annoyed at the whole track thing right now....anyway :rantoff:

Cakes206
06-04-2005, 08:26 PM
You have to have been riding for at least a year to go to track, right? I think I remember reading that on some track FAQ..

Not at all...anyone can do a track day whenever they feel comfortable.

ezpunkx
06-06-2005, 09:38 PM
I've learned that with a lot of things, it always feels like your doing more than you are.. If you feel like your leaning ALOT your not leaning as much as you think. If you took a picture you'd be like.. oh thats it? In order to lean properly though you NEED to wear some proper pants with sliders.

I always thought that i leaned so much on the street, then when i went to the track, it was a whole nother world.

Looking back at my pictures from my first track day and my more recent ones, theres a huge difference.

(lemme see if i can find the pics)

My first trackday: I remember thinking MAN I"M LEANING SO FAR OVER!!! and i felt like i was hanging off the bike like crazy!! lol nope! as you see in the first picture below

http://www.ezpunkx.com/track2.jpg

The next season:
http://www.ezpunkx.com/albums/pocono/5C7B5933.sized.jpg

http://www.ezpunkx.com/albums/pocono/5C7B6214.sized.jpg

njf4i
06-06-2005, 09:42 PM
I've learned that with a lot of things, it always feels like your doing more than you are.. If you feel like your leaning ALOT your not leaning as much as you think. If you took a picture you'd be like.. oh thats it? Looking back at my pictures from my first track day and my more recent ones, theres a huge difference.

Yeah that is gonna be my next step. I wanted to get some pics of myself to see how low i actually am, and to establish what kind of riding style I had.

(lemme see if i can find the pics)

I would like to see yours so I can compare how sucky I really am. :ohmygod:

Kennedy
06-09-2005, 12:24 AM
Check the body positioning post I put up nick.........

Cakes206
06-12-2005, 10:12 PM
Bringin this post back...this is a perfect pic to show foot positioning...check it out...

Qetesh
06-12-2005, 10:19 PM
Bringin this post back...this is a perfect pic to show foot positioning...check it out...

That's an amazing pic :crazy:

zc_sandman
06-12-2005, 11:27 PM
In the beginning it sounds like your feet were a lil to far forward and out. For regular riding I like to keep the ball of my feet on the peg itself...for the track when setting up for a turn I slide my inside foot out to the edge of the peg and pivot my leg outward on the ball of my foot...how far I hang off all depends on my speed...hang off more the faster I'm going...I will do the same for street riding but only if I'm wearin my 2pc leathers...If I'm wearin jeans I try not to stick my leg out, but rather I scoot my ass over using the crack method(best way to describe it is sitting with the crack of yer ass right on the edge of the seat) and keep my knee in towards the fairing more. Reason being is, if you low side in jeans and your knee is sticking out...theres a good chance your knee is gonna hit first and do some damage.

Hope this helps.

That is all!