PDA

View Full Version : a lil help on what to do

RonJ83
01-09-2006, 04:34 PM
hi everybody...i will be getting sharkskinz body work for my bike, but they do not come with turnsignal holes. i want to mount Graves flushies on the bike so that it will pass inspection. i plan to ride the bike more on the street but on some weekends i would like to do track. can anyone suggest what i should do? below are picks of the flushies.

thanks in advance
Ron

http://www.gravesport.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=TS__401

http://www.gravesport.com/Products/images/fullsize/TS401.jpg

ffejtable
01-09-2006, 04:59 PM
not sure about NY, but in NJ turnsignals are optional... they MUST work if they are installed, but if they arent, you can subsitute them withhand signals... just an option if its available for you in NY and you dont care about turn signals...

duc748pilot
01-09-2006, 05:06 PM
wrong.

if the bike is manufactured with turn signals they may not be removed. if a motorcycle is produced without turn signals the user has the option of either installing turn signals or using hand signals....so technically, you would be breaking the law. just a fyi....i dont think any officer will bust your balls over it unless you dont use proper hand signals

RonJ83
01-09-2006, 05:11 PM
i spoke to my friend whos a cop and he said no cops will bother me just as long as i have turn signals. because i crashed i can show in court why i had to replace it. you are required to have turn sigs in NYC and our exhaust cant exceed 98db. i live on SI, you can always ask Vin how much of the popos are just plain jackasses to sportbike riders.

Vin
01-09-2006, 05:15 PM
Nice to see another islander heading to the track. Ron, let's get in touch when you start doing some days. Could always use a travel buddy for long-distance track days. (Summit Main 4/24 ;))

Back to your post, my idea would be to simply drill a small hole in each side of the sharkskinz so that you can mount the signals. Perhaps you could use a small bolt to hold the signal in place on the plastic and make it so that it's easily removable when you do your track days.

Question here is... what are you going to do about headlights?

soda7o
01-09-2006, 05:26 PM
i spoke to my friend whos a cop and he said no cops will bother me just as long as i have turn signals. because i crashed i can show in court why i had to replace it. you are required to have turn sigs in NYC and our exhaust cant exceed 98db. i live on SI, you can always ask Vin how much of the popos are just plain jackasses to sportbike riders.

bullshit i got harased for my turn signals... in SI... and got tickets for them...

PitsVtec
01-09-2006, 05:31 PM
I posted this a while back check it out...

http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp

njf4i
01-09-2006, 05:55 PM
Yeah drilling a hole in the shark skins should be no problem. But you may want to head over to home depot and look for away to mount them with support, and the optioin of just removing them and putting covers on for when you hit the track.

I'm sure Vin could help you out with the home depot mods. He is a pro at it. :)

RonJ83
01-09-2006, 06:06 PM
Nice to see another islander heading to the track. Ron, let's get in touch when you start doing some days. Could always use a travel buddy for long-distance track days. (Summit Main 4/24 ;))

Back to your post, my idea would be to simply drill a small hole in each side of the sharkskinz so that you can mount the signals. Perhaps you could use a small bolt to hold the signal in place on the plastic and make it so that it's easily removable when you do your track days.

Question here is... what are you going to do about headlights?

ill most likely put mesh tape on them that way i wont have to use masking tape everytime i hit the tracks.

bullshit i got harased for my turn signals... in SI... and got tickets for them...

if it was for your rear sigs i kinda know why but ive never seen your front sigs.

I posted this a while back check it out...

http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp

dammit they changed it again, now we ARE allowed radars, but the db has dropped to the 80s. good find crystal

P.S. whoever did the pic link thanks

njf4i
01-09-2006, 06:23 PM
P.S. whoever did the pic link thanks
no problem :biggthump

High_Revs_17
01-09-2006, 09:33 PM
Why bother with finding a simple way to remove the signals for track days? Just drill & mount them properly, then tape them for track days.

On a side note, who wants to deal with hand signals on bikes these days? Cagers are so stuped they don't know what any of those mean anymore, especially the younger drivers which can lead to a deadly situation for the rider. Bright,flashing lights placed properly on one's bike can save their life one day cuz the cattle cagers are already conditioned to look for such things.

Gear Dog
01-10-2006, 01:52 PM
I would drill a few holes and mount some custom led set up. put a logo like "R" and drill a pattern around it. Or how about get signals for the mirrors, and put a plug on it. This way you can pull the mirrors off and just unplug the signals.

ffejtable
01-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Why bother with finding a simple way to remove the signals for track days? Just drill & mount them properly, then tape them for track days.

On a side note, who wants to deal with hand signals on bikes these days? Cagers are so stuped they don't know what any of those mean anymore, especially the younger drivers which can lead to a deadly situation for the rider. Bright,flashing lights placed properly on one's bike can save their life one day cuz the cattle cagers are already conditioned to look for such things.

I am not encouraging hand signals or the like. I was just making a point that electronic signals in NJ are optional.

Inpection guidelines can be found here:

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/cit_registration/v_reg_motorcycle.html

and NJ 39:4-126 Permits the use of hand signals to subsitute electronic signals...

Just because cops harrass you for not having them doesnt mean they are right.. The cops dont make the laws, they only enforce them, and they are sometimes either unaware of them, or think you are and are just trying to generate revenue.

Gear Dog
01-10-2006, 02:44 PM
NJ 39:4-126 Permits the use of hand signals to subsitute electronic signals...

Just because cops harrass you for not having them doesnt mean they are right.. The cops dont make the laws, they only enforce them, and they are sometimes either unaware of them, or think you are and are just trying to generate revenue.

Yeah but you have to argue that point in court. Why give him a reason to pull you over at all.

RonJ83
01-10-2006, 02:48 PM
I would drill a few holes and mount some custom led set up. put a logo like "R" and drill a pattern around it. Or how about get signals for the mirrors, and put a plug on it. This way you can pull the mirrors off and just unplug the signals.

im thinking about using pigspotters and hignbimmin LEDs as running lights and turn sigs, the major thing is to pass inspection, still waiting on Graves to see what they say about mounting flushies to Sharkskinz

BurnCycle
01-10-2006, 02:50 PM

Then in the simplest laydown it cracks the signal, mount and fairing around it... If your lucky that is.

Um... No. I've been without signals for 3 years now and note no difference from cagers than the prior 13-years before that with them.

High_Revs_17
01-10-2006, 06:57 PM
I've been without signals for 3 years now and note no difference from cagers than the prior 13-years before that with them.

A successful case out of millions, I hope that luck sticks with you...in the motorcycle world there's no reason to cut one's self short of safety options, their survival depends upon it.

njf4i
01-10-2006, 07:37 PM
Then in the simplest laydown it cracks the signal, mount and fairing around it... If your lucky that is.

Um... No. I've been without signals for 3 years now and note no difference from cagers than the prior 13-years before that with them.
Well my blinkers are probablly not the best in the world. But i still have them, and don't rely on them. I always use my hands, feet, and body when changing lanes. I don't trust anyone. Thats cagers and bikers im riding with.

Kurts1000RR
01-10-2006, 07:38 PM
The only real problem Ive seen in NJ is the color of the turn signal. Ive had two buddies get cited for white signals. Both cops said the same thing, NJ law says amber only.

ffejtable
01-11-2006, 09:39 AM
Yeah but you have to argue that point in court. Why give him a reason to pull you over at all.

We are on bikes, thats reason enough for a lot of cops. Like I said I am not advocating him doing it, but if its legal, its an option.

Rev
01-18-2006, 03:29 AM
ron why don't you just get integrated lights like mine....or just get the RR and buy the integrated lights....yeah that's a better idea..

MrQuickR1
01-18-2006, 10:32 AM
I say mount turn signals to each side of your helmet.
Then get a spare helmet for the track.
Problem solved

RonJ83
01-18-2006, 11:45 AM
ron why don't you just get integrated lights like mine....or just get the RR and buy the integrated lights....yeah that's a better idea..

youre meds making you dilussional, why would i get an ugly bike?:roflmao:

High_Revs_17
01-18-2006, 12:00 PM
I say mount turn signals to each side of your helmet.
Then get a spare helmet for the track.
Problem solved

Ha-ha! Cuz then you'll have MORE wires hanging all over the place like the sandman.