PDA

View Full Version : track bike, GSXR600 or SV 650

DougZ
06-03-2005, 08:31 AM
Which would make a better track bike for less money??

Why would one choose one over the other?? Cakes, suggestions.

Cakes206
06-03-2005, 09:11 AM
This is actualy a realy good question. Ok, where to begin, I'll start off by saying both the sv650 and the Gix 6 make excellent track bikes. A qwik note about the differences, the Gix is an inline 4 with approx 100-105hp stock. The sv650 is a vtwin with approx 70hp. Big difference in hp but yet the sv650 and the right rider can keep up with just about anything out there. The only place where the sv is lacking is in the straits, but even then if you get a good drive coming out of the turn and onto the strait, it'll take a little longer for someone to pass you. BUT, all straits eventually come to an end and you need to turn, this is where the sv comes out on top. The inlines having more hp carry so much speed down the strait, that they have to be hard on the brakes to set up to tip it into the turn. While they are braking, someone on an sv is still on the gas because of the less hp and mass amounts of engine brake...you can wait longer to brake and ultimately carry more corner speed. To put it in perspective, there are guys in the blue group at summit turnin 1:27 laps at Summit Point on Gix 1K's while others are running 1:28-29's on SV's...I think the fastest time for an SV are Summit is in the 1:25's...but thats just insane. Theres also less chance of the rear breaking loose when powering out of a turn, not that it won't or can't happen, but again the lack of hp, and you get the idea. Both bikes are easy to ride, both have great "flick ability" and are a ton of fun. At the time when I starting doing track days I was using my Gix 750..which ultimately led me to be intimate with turn 1 at Summit...after which I looked into it and the sv seemed more practical for me and I don't regret it one bit...it really is an awesome bike.

ok thats my .02...Hope this helps :)

Kennedy
06-03-2005, 10:34 AM
I agree with Cakes and would get the SV....although you may need to do some mods with the front forks and rear shock....

Qetesh
06-03-2005, 10:38 AM
I don't have any experience with twins on the track, only inlines. Since you've already had your SV1000 on the track you know how it feels, so stick with it and pick up an older 650.

I would love to try a twin one day, only problem is can't get my damn foot down on the ground :banghead: :roflmao:

DougZ
06-03-2005, 11:20 AM
Ok, thanks for all the info. I am just gonna have to wait and see what comes up and is in my price range. If I find an SV, it is going to need to be less than a GSXR, cause I am gonna have to put money into the suspension.

Jen, next ride, remind me and I'll let you take the SV1K for a spin....oh wait, Joe has one, but he probably won't let you tocuh it. LOL :roflmao:

Cakes206
06-03-2005, 12:01 PM
.oh wait, Joe has one, but he probably won't let you tocuh it. LOL :roflmao:

She can use it whenever she wants...just need to teach her to side step :roflmao:

DougZ
06-03-2005, 12:05 PM
She can use it whenever she wants...just need to teach her to side step :roflmao:

Just park next to a curb. :roflmao:

carl_g
06-03-2005, 01:13 PM
I would get a gixxer.. There are like 5 gazillion parts available for it, You dont have to worry about over-reving it and blowing it up and it takes less modifications to make it track ready..basically out of the box it is ready to go.

DougZ
06-03-2005, 01:19 PM
I would get a gixxer.. There are like 5 gazillion parts available for it, You dont have to worry about over-reving it and blowing it up and it takes less modifications to make it track ready..basically out of the box it is ready to go.

Yep, now if I could just find one for $2K - $2500, I'll be set. ( Not to self, bug Omar more) :)

AfricanBootyScratcher
06-04-2005, 10:11 AM
you will buy what I tell you to buy, bitch! :)
I've got my eye open for you

Mack
06-04-2005, 10:35 AM
APRILIA....twin and horsepower...........boy I'm being an ass this morning

DougZ
06-04-2005, 12:07 PM
APRILIA....twin and horsepower...........boy I'm being an ass this morning

Just this morning?? LOL

I'll tell you what, I'll think about buying an Aprilia, when you take yours to the track, and ride where there is grass for run off, and not dirt roads.