PDA

View Full Version : early morning accident

John712
12-03-2005, 01:29 PM
well it happened to me, my 1st bike accident in a long time.

i forgot to leave the company truck keys yesterday when i left work and didnt know until i took a shower later last night. finally as im resting i see the phone blinking and its a message from Tom, my supervisor telling me to bring the keys in tomorrow morning. no biggie, im always up early. but we all went out last night and took my buddies truck so i left my cell phone and truck keys in his glove department and totally forgot about them. brendas mother got her car with the other set of truck keys so i decided to take the bike. i was gonna walk being its like a 15 minute to 20 minute walk there at the most.

but i took the bike instead. going down Raritan Road 30 - 40 mph and a car in front of me decides to turn into Dunkin Donuts at the last second. i hit the brakes slid was able to move mostly out of the way but i clipped her rear left with the bike and my knee. and some how in all the mist of it while im about to go down i twisted the throttle and the bike flew into the intersection of Raritan Roan and Walnut Street about 100 feet away or so.

tore my Jacket up that i got for my birthday 2 or 3 years ago, wore it because its heavy and my new helmet that i wore like half a dozen times is trash now.

i never rear ended someone before but she told the cops she decided to turn into the lot for a coffee but there was a car there and she had to stop short. will that work in my favor..? or should i not claim it on my insurance and leave it as is and buy them myself.? i only need a fairing, rear tail, front fairing and exhaust, the tire looks decent still being it spun on the side when it went down

PitsVtec
12-03-2005, 01:48 PM
Sorry to hear. How much damage is to the bike? Are you okay?

JasonB
12-03-2005, 01:59 PM
Glad to see that you are alright.

I would get an estimate, show it to her and see if she wants to pay out of pocket. If not go through her insurance.

RCM78
12-03-2005, 02:00 PM
How is it that they dont have extra key's for the truck?

Our garage and supervision has spare sets of key's for all vehicles...

Glad you didnt get hurt!!!

FigNewTon
12-03-2005, 02:34 PM
Sorry to hear Johnny...Glad you are alright. Let me know if there is anything you need.

High_Revs_17
12-03-2005, 03:37 PM
Damn John sorry about the get-off, but the gear did it's job and you walked away. I'm not sure how this will work regarding blame being in NJ the person that rearends someone is usually at fault but you'll have to speak with the police regarding what was listed on the report, then you can make your decision weather to go after her, or just take care of it yourself.

ronin_01r1
12-03-2005, 04:17 PM
it's clear. she made an illegal turn, which caused you to rear end her. she shouldn't have made that turn is she didn't have space to fully make the turn. anyways. glad to hear ur ok though.

Taz
12-03-2005, 05:05 PM
Glad your OK. I hope everything works out!

High_Revs_17
12-03-2005, 06:21 PM
she made an illegal turn

How was it illegal? Was there a "no turn" sign posted?

CBRBob
12-03-2005, 08:35 PM
a car in front of me decides to turn into Dunkin Donuts at the last second. i hit the brakes slid was able to move mostly out of the way but i clipped her rear left with the bike and my knee. she told the cops she decided to turn into the lot for a coffee but there was a car there and she had to stop short.

Unfortunately, it's your fault. You should have been able to avoid her unless you were following too closely or not paying attention. Sorry. :ohmygod:

ffejtable
12-03-2005, 09:05 PM
Unfortunately, it's your fault. You should have been able to avoid her unless you were following too closely or not paying attention. Sorry. :ohmygod:

+1

First, sorry to hear about your mishap, and glad you are ok.

However, in the instance of hitting somebody from behind, you are pretty much always at fault unless they did something illegal to cause the accident to begin with, and even then its not always clear. Like Bob said, its your responsiblity not to hit the car in front of you by paying attention and giving yourself enough reaction time...

Qetesh
12-03-2005, 11:22 PM
Damn Johnnycakes! I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you, but very thankful that you are okay and not seriously injured!!!

If there is anything I can do please let me know!

MPtotheFZ
12-03-2005, 11:25 PM
Sorry to about the accident man! Unfortunlatley, if no one got a ticket then its up to the insurance companies who was at fault. And that is only to dcecide how much of your deductable you get back. Hope everything works out for you.

SilverDragon
12-05-2005, 09:13 PM
I hope your knee didn't sustain too much damage!