PDA

View Full Version : stuck oil filter

RonJ83
11-23-2005, 04:23 PM
went to change my oil out today for winter storage and my oil filter is STUCK! tried everything and now its stuck, i dont even know what else to do any suggestions? please HELP! :cries:

ronin_01r1
11-23-2005, 04:31 PM
went to change my oil out today for winter storage and my oil filter is STUCK! tried everything and now its stuck, i dont even know what else to do any suggestions? please HELP! :cries:

what do you mean stuck. are you using your hand only or a oil filter wrench. if so, is it a perfect fit? if the wrench fits ok, turn harder. if u don't have a oild filter wrench, you can take a long thin screwdriver and ram it through the entire filter and loosen it that way. you might have to poke through a couple tiimes before it's loose enough to undo by hand. hope that helps. i wonder how tight you made it for it to not come off, assuming u have a wrench that fits.

High_Revs_17
11-23-2005, 04:33 PM
Start the motor, let it run till it warms up, then shut it down and as the metal cools it will contract. Soon after get on it with the filter wrench and it should easily break lose. Using your hands as a wrench don't always work.

RonJ83
11-23-2005, 04:57 PM
well i did both, and its not coming off. i ripped out the internals but its still not coming off. im scared to use too much force cause i dont want to damage anything on the bike.

ronin_01r1
11-23-2005, 05:02 PM
well i did both, and its not coming off. i ripped out the internals but its still not coming off. im scared to use too much force cause i dont want to damage anything on the bike.

this is not to insult ur intelligence. which direction are you turning? clockwise or counter?

Rydin_Da_Punani
11-23-2005, 05:03 PM
righty tighty lefty loosey

AfricanBootyScratcher
11-23-2005, 06:43 PM
don't be skeered

RonJ83
11-23-2005, 06:45 PM
no insults taken, but yes i am going counter clockwise.

CBRBob
11-23-2005, 07:31 PM
You can put channelocks on the base and loosen it. If still not, use a hammer and a chisel. Put the chisel tip on the base and tap the base loose.

Next time, lube the filter gasket with fresh oil and tighten by hand ONLY. Oil filter wrenches are for taking them OFF :wave2:

ffejtable
11-23-2005, 09:35 PM
You can put channelocks on the base and loosen it. If still not, use a hammer and a chisel. Put the chisel tip on the base and tap the base loose.

Next time, lube the filter gasket with fresh oil and tighten by hand ONLY. Oil filter wrenches are for taking them OFF :wave2:

+1 to everything bob said... first time I did an oil change on my boat I had to break out the dremel, and use the hammer and chisel method, it was horrible and took hours. the filter isnt very accessible, as you have to go in upside down and essentially be a contortionist (sp?)...

Just did a gas filter change on the boat today actually.. sucker was on their good.. im quite sure they didnt lube up the gasket last time....

In any case, ALWAYS put oil on the gasket, as this will make removal easier and prevent the filter from getting stuck. and ALWAYS hand tighten only... let the gasket do its job, you dont have to crank the oil filter on with any tools.

Rev
11-23-2005, 09:49 PM
buy a new bike... :carrot: :wave2:

Ant
11-23-2005, 11:18 PM
Go to Sears and get there clamping wrench. As you turn the rachet it clamps on the filter. Works everytime.

Kennedy
11-24-2005, 04:36 AM
dremel birhxhwa

Cakes206
11-24-2005, 11:55 AM
Once you get it off...MAKE SURE THE GASKET COMES OFF WITH IT! Double gasket and it will lead to problems. Like the others mentioned, when you put on a new filter just take a tiny bit of oil on your finger and put it on the gasket, and always hand tighten.

Kennedy
11-24-2005, 01:31 PM
dremel birhxhwa

Sober Translation: Dremel Bitches

NYCSTRIPES
12-21-2005, 10:37 AM
two words.. STRAP WRENCH.

Also be careful not to reinstall the new one too tight, otherwise repeat of this problem.
Ken

MgA_ODEN
12-22-2005, 07:08 PM
http://www.indiana.edu/~compendo/w220/images/screwdriver-phillips.jpg

PitsVtec
12-23-2005, 11:27 AM
LOL....nice screw driver....lol...yeah the filters in the RR's are more of a pain in the ass to get out....my bike is nice and simple with the proper tools....as for your bike......I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THEIR CANS!

JasonB
12-23-2005, 12:05 PM
Hit it with a hammer, if that doesnt' work get a bigger hammer.:roflmao:

RonJ83
01-05-2006, 12:20 AM
accually the filter is off, all i used was some stong needle nose pliers stuck it in the filter holes twist hard and it came off. i have dremel but im not taking that thing to my filter, with my dumbass luck id cut off the screw

Cakes206
01-05-2006, 12:35 AM
accually the filter is off, all i used was some stong needle nose pliers stuck it in the filter holes twist hard and it came off. i have dremel but im not taking that thing to my filter, with my dumbass luck id cut off the screw

Wait...this thread is about your filter? :confused:

Is this a new screen name?

RonJ83
01-05-2006, 01:28 AM
its a new sn, i tried to log on with my other one and it wont let me on. its sayin i dont have the right pw. then i had it emailed to me but i never recieved it so i said fugg it ill just make a new one.

Cakes206
01-05-2006, 12:35 PM
its a new sn, i tried to log on with my other one and it wont let me on. its sayin i dont have the right pw. then i had it emailed to me but i never recieved it so i said fugg it ill just make a new one.

Should of got in touch with one of us...could of reset the pwd to something generic rather than creating a whole new acct. :ohmygod:

http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/showgroups.php

RonJ83
01-05-2006, 04:27 PM
my bad, if you would like you can delete the other name. but i still dotn understand why the password doesnt work

Rev
01-05-2006, 06:03 PM
throw away the bike

PitsVtec
01-05-2006, 06:53 PM
throw away the bike

LOL....:omg: Ron...

Cakes206
01-05-2006, 08:59 PM
Check your Gmail.

RonJ83
01-05-2006, 09:34 PM
throw away the bike

R6>600rr=f4i http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/RonJ83/smilies/deal2.gif

your bike = http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/RonJ83/smilies/yuk.gif:LOL:

p.s. work your ass off getting your wrist back, doc said i would only gain 70% of my elbow back when my bone came out but im at 100%