PDA

View Full Version : Brake/Down Changing Gears Like A Pro

Kennedy
11-15-2005, 07:59 PM
Summary: Good detailed information for correct way to brake/downshift at the same time.

I would like to thank Mr. Code personally for his permission to post these articles......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brake/Down
Changing Gears Like a Pro

Barriers Open Doors

To make real improvement there must first exist a real barrier to overcome or a real result to achieve. These are always based on the rider’s own desires: to go faster; be more in control; have fewer panic situations; put it all together into a smooth flow or simply remove doubts and questions they have relating to those goals: when do the tires slide, how hard can I brake, how far can I lean the bike and so on.

When you look at it you’ll see that there is very little difference, if any, between a riding barrier and a riding goal; they both have the same stumbling blocks. They both have an end result to achieve. They both have some fear or uncertainty or distraction attached to them. There is always a barrier.

The Braking & Downshifting Barrier

An example of a common barrier would be the complications that arise from the hurried and slightly frantic control operations that stem from not learning to smoothly and simultaneously brake and downshift for traffic lights, obstructions and, of course, corners.

Doesn’t sound like a life or death threatening situation but when inspected closely you see what impact it really has on a rider’s attention and how they are spending it.

Check it out, if the rider can’t do braking and downshifting, simultaneously and smoothly, they are forced into one or more of the following attention draining scenarios:

1. Slowly letting out the clutch to make the downshift smoothly. This requires attention to be spent and is the most common way uneducated riders handle it.

2. Having to change gears once the bike is stopped. When the bike is stopped even the best transmissions can be sticky. Gears change more easily and more positively when the bike is moving. It causes less wear on the gearbox to change the gears while you are moving.

3. Having to change the gears after the braking is completed for a turn. That means doing it in the curve. This is distracting and can upset the bike, to say nothing of the rider.

4. Alternately going from the brake to the gas to match revs for the downshifts. This has the bike pogoing at the front. It does not get the bike slowed down quickly in an efficient manner. This is very busy riding.

5. Downshift before braking. This is fine for very relaxed riding situations at slow speeds but is hazardous to the engine if the rider is in “spirited cornering” mode as it provides the opportunity to over-rev the motor and bypass the rev limiter that protects it. Could be very expensive. In an emergency situation you don’t have time to do this because you should be on the brakes right away. Not only that but some emergencies require you to brake and then get on the gas right away for accelerating hard to avoid things like cars running a light on you. In this case the rider would not have the time to get it done.

6. Forget it entirely and just go through the corner. This forces downshift(s) to be done at the corner’s exit thus losing the drive out and complicating the whole thing by having to make a gear change when they should be rolling on the throttle. This is distracting and not smooth at all.

Rest Of This Awesome Article Can Be Found HERE (http://www.superbikeschool.com/bbs/index.php?act=ST&f=11&t=258&)

© copyright 2004, Keith Code, all rights reserved.

duc748pilot
11-16-2005, 11:15 AM
fuck that...slipper clutch is here on saturday :nod2:

carl_g
11-16-2005, 12:50 PM
fuck that...slipper clutch is here on saturday :nod2:
blipping the throttle :jerkit:
Can I get a hell yeah for no engine braking! :twosmokes

SilverDragon
11-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Is it a bad move to grab the clutch as soon as you let go of the throttle?

Kennedy
11-16-2005, 04:21 PM
Yes...especially if you need instant power again, instead of just rolling back on you now have to release the clutch thereby causing huge engine braking(RPM's will be at idle and then releasing the clutch will bring them back to where they should be) rather than just rolling the power back on...all in all its a bad habit, break it.

SilverDragon
11-16-2005, 05:26 PM
I've been doing that a lot, but not for casual braking... I do it when a river of brake lights flash on in front of me. It's just a prep for the "brake-down".

Kennedy
11-17-2005, 10:50 AM
I just wouldn't suggest it when doing aggressive riding.

Cakes206
11-18-2005, 11:01 PM
To add, in a panic situation, like a car pulling out in front of you...all you'll really have time for is brakes, going through the blipping process can take up valuble time...grabbing a fist full of brake all at once can and/or will lock up the front and can cause you to wash out. What you want to do is grab some brake, get the front to compress somewhat, then grab as much brake as you need...you'll be surprised how hard you can actually brake using this method...just be sure to pull in the clutch during all this...you don't want to stall...usually you won't have to think about it, it'll be a natural reaction. Of course not all panic situations are the same...in severe cases where there is abolutly no time to do anything, react your best and pray.

Ride safe...ride smart...ride another day.

Kennedy
11-19-2005, 02:27 AM
I believe this article was intended for rev matching on the race track.