PDA

View Full Version : The Fine Art of Braking

Kennedy
11-15-2005, 07:57 PM
Summary: In depth detail of trail braking and other strategies to promote higher corner speed. Lots of real life examples of Mr. Codes.

I would like to thank Mr. Code personally for his permission to post these articles......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Fine Art of Braking
By Keith Code

By survey 100% of over 10,000 riders agree on this point: they know that if they possessed the ability and skill to get their turn entry speeds consistently right, their confidence would soar; they would feel more in control; they would be faster and they would be smoother. Here is some information on why you might want to master that ability.

Coasting Races

In the mid ‘70's I was introduced to an amazing form of “racing”. Four or five of us would get together at the top of one of our favorite southern California canyon descents; turn off the engines; line up across the road; heckle each other; count to three; pick up our feet without pushing off any more than was necessary to get moving and laugh and yell out insults to one another all the way down to the bottom. Most of the runs were a couple of miles long with lots of turns. That’s a coasting race.

The rider who coasted the farthest and fastest (they were usually the same rider) “won”. There weren’t any tricks, equipment mattered little, it was all you. Well, I did have one little trick -- pushing the pads back into my front caliper to eliminate the pad drag.

The camaraderie was elevated enormously by the fact that, unlike our usual canyon rides we could, for the most part, communicate throughout the descent. It was such a delight. Even when it went wrong and someone crashed (like me) I still have fond memories and get a warm sensation when recalling it.

Rest Of Article Can Be Found Here (http://www.superbikeschool.com/bbs/index.php?act=ST&f=11&t=310&)

-----
Copyright Keith Code, 2004, all rights reserved

IG.
11-16-2005, 05:15 PM
Good read! So true! And, I've read number of his books.

I like his ability and willingness to get to the bottom of the issues - especially psychological ones.

SilverDragon
11-16-2005, 05:28 PM
+1

Kennedy
11-17-2005, 10:50 AM
Everyone can use the help :) Even The best