PDA

View Full Version : Installing New Spark Plugs

njf4i
05-26-2005, 01:55 PM
Well i'm coming up on my second oil change and I happen to have a set of ngk spark plugs provided from Omar and Monmouth Cycles.

I was wondering the difficulty level of replacing the spark plugs in my 01 f4i. I have had the bike apart when i changed the CCT so none of that scares me.

But besides stealing xenos's f4i service manual, what should I be looking for. Are there any special tools I may need?

Thanks In Advace.

Vin
05-26-2005, 02:51 PM
Well i'm coming up on my second oil change and I happen to have a set of ngk spark plugs provided from Omar and Monmouth Cycles.

I was wondering the difficulty level of replacing the spark plugs in my 01 f4i. I have had the bike apart when i changed the CCT so none of that scares me.

But besides stealing xenos's f4i service manual, what should I be looking for. Are there any special tools I may need?

Thanks In Advace.

I know it's a different bike, but my YZF's were extremely easy to change. The toolkit came with a tool you could use which reaches down into the area where the plug goes (don't know the name) and makes it easy to get a grip on the plug. My only problem was getting my hand to fit between the radiator and the cylinder heads. One thing to note is that you should have something to blow air into the area where the plug goes so you can flush out any debris in there so it doesn't make its way into the cylinder when you install the new plugs.

I also believe that the plugs should be hand-tightened but I could be wrong, and be VARY careful when putting the plug in so you don't strip anything in the case.

duc748pilot
05-26-2005, 03:01 PM
Nick if you want a hand you can ride up to me whenever.....kill two birds with one stone. pick up the pants and change the plugs. i can probably have em changed in 15-20 minutes. its pretty simple. but like vin said the key is to blow em out before removing the old ones to blow out any debri that may be chillin in there. its a simple straightforward job

njf4i
05-26-2005, 03:23 PM
Nick if you want a hand you can ride up to me whenever.....kill two birds with one stone. pick up the pants and change the plugs. i can probably have em changed in 15-20 minutes. its pretty simple. but like vin said the key is to blow em out before removing the old ones to blow out any debri that may be chillin in there. its a simple straightforward job

Well if it only takes 15 minutes, do you have to tank the tank off and what not. I know just to get access to the CCT it took me atleast 30 mins.

I had to take the exhaust side fairing off, remove the seat, Scotts, and tank just to get there.

Would this be the same process to get access to the plugs?

Vin
05-26-2005, 03:29 PM
Well if it only takes 15 minutes, do you have to tank the tank off and what not. I know just to get access to the CCT it took me atleast 30 mins.

I had to take the exhaust side fairing off, remove the seat, Scotts, and tank just to get there.

Would this be the same process to get access to the plugs?

No, in my case it was as simple as reaching through the big port in the fairing, but you should at the most have to remove your left and right fairings.

njf4i
05-26-2005, 03:33 PM
What i need to do is just bite the bullet and get me a damn service manual. I think that would be the right start. Plus when i did my ebc HH pads this year i used the book that xenos had and it was perfect. Step by step instructions and pictures.

**EDIT**
After making JCBlitz proud and using :google: I found a good link for F4i owners. Its off another cbr board but has a bunch of turtorials.

The link is f4i Turtorials (http://www.cbrworld.net/articles/articles_all.asp?ArticleType=2)

So now that i see what is involved :banghead: im going to be taking Chris up on his offer.

So how does wednesday of next week sound chris? I should get out of work at 5 and be able to meet you around 6. Let me know what works for you.

duc748pilot
05-26-2005, 03:42 PM
lol yea. you would just prob need to take your sides off, then unbolt your rad and pull it up and out of the way.

njf4i
05-26-2005, 03:57 PM
lol yea. you would just prob need to take your sides off, then unbolt your rad and pull it up and out of the way.

Read what i posted above you. ^^^^ after going through the steps i felt like doing this :nuts:

duc748pilot
05-26-2005, 04:05 PM
next wed should be fine. sounds like a plan

Cakes206
05-26-2005, 07:04 PM
Yo Nick...changing plugs on an f4i are a biotch...just ask Jen :roflmao: Take the fairings off and remove the radiator mounts cause you're gonna have to move it out of the way...definitely get yerself a spark plug socket with the rubber grommet and you'll be good to go...good luck...

njf4i
05-26-2005, 11:02 PM
Yo Nick...changing plugs on an f4i are a biotch...just ask Jen :roflmao: Take the fairings off and remove the radiator mounts cause you're gonna have to move it out of the way...definitely get yerself a spark plug socket with the rubber grommet and you'll be good to go...good luck...

Wow joe way to come in there in the last moment. I got the details on how to change it. I figure its gonnna be like my CCT. So im going to chris's house to get it done.

Thanks Champ Cakes :roflmao:

jcblitz
05-26-2005, 11:50 PM
If it's anything like a 929, and I bet it is....have fun! What a pain in the ass. And do you have a shut off valve for the fuel? It's awesome draining a full tank of gas to just get the tank off.

Cakes206
05-27-2005, 12:09 AM
If it's anything like a 929, and I bet it is....have fun! What a pain in the ass. And do you have a shut off valve for the fuel? It's awesome draining a full tank of gas to just get the tank off.

No need to take the tank off with the F4i.

5wytchBh4kk
05-29-2005, 09:00 AM
i took all of mine out at 18,000 miles and there was nothing wrong with them, gap was still good, and zero signs of wear. Color was perfect. Iridium is hard to wear down. I don't think you'll need em.

JasonB
05-30-2005, 03:37 AM
did mind at about 25,000 miles and it was real easy. Didn't have to take the tank off, but i did have to move it up and out of the way. I think the air filter being dirty made the spark plugs go bad. Is that possible? Dont know but they weren't in the best of shape.

Jay
06-02-2005, 12:27 PM
did mind at about 25,000 miles and it was real easy. Didn't have to take the tank off, but i did have to move it up and out of the way. I think the air filter being dirty made the spark plugs go bad. Is that possible? Dont know but they weren't in the best of shape.

Yes that is correct jase. Clogged air filter can cause a rich condition which fouls the plugs.

njf4i
06-02-2005, 05:27 PM
So than do you guys recomend changing them? I have 18k miles on my honda and I have the 4 NGK plugs that i got for free.

I think i might as well change them. Its not gonna hurt anything. Right?

njf4i
06-05-2005, 08:30 AM
I say change em if you have the time. I just changed mine. It was a big pain in the ass though, since I didn't have the right socket tools. How often do you guys replace air filters? When I took the gas tank and airbox apart to get easier access to the plugs, I found that the air filter was absolutely filthy!

well i thik on some down time i will just change the plugs. But for the airfilter, i had mine out with just over 17,000 miles on the bike and the damn thing still looked clean. Only thing that stopped me from changing it was that crappy honda in edison didn't have on in stock. :ohmygod:

Commuta_Busa
06-08-2005, 10:16 AM
I got lazy and didn't read through all three pages... if someone didn't mention it, make sure you put some antiseize on the threads of the new plugs before you instal them.