PDA

View Full Version : Front brakes. Please help!

CoolerBig
11-11-2005, 11:46 PM
I lifted up my bike using two stands (rear stand and front fork stand). When spinning the front wheel I've noticed that the brake pads were touching the rotors... I can spin the wheel, but it spins for about 1.5 - 2 turns and stops because of that drag. In other words: it doesn't spin freely. I am not sure if this is how it should be, or there is something wrong with the front brakes. :confused:

Vin
11-11-2005, 11:57 PM
I *believe* it's normal -- both of my bikes have done that and I've been told by others it's normal as well.

Cakes206
11-12-2005, 12:15 AM
Yup...its totally normal...thats what you want...your brakes are fine.

CoolerBig
11-12-2005, 01:56 AM
Thank you, guys!

Commuta_Busa
12-23-2005, 09:56 AM
until they make calipers with some sort of retractable piston your stuck with the small amount of drag...

CBRBob
12-23-2005, 08:36 PM
They do retract, thats why there are square seals on brake pistons. If they retract too much you would have to pump the brake every time.

Commuta_Busa
12-27-2005, 10:50 AM
and I always thought the seals were to keep the fluid from leaking and hold the pressure.

I thought the retraction of 1mm was simply from the pressure not being applied. Damn if I could get mine to retract just a bit more then I wouldn't have to hear that dragging noise and would also reduce the frictional losses mine has. It would be a bitch to get the pads back up to temps though without that little pad/rotor contact all the time...

CBRBob
12-27-2005, 11:17 AM
Right, if you just needed to hold pressure there would be round seals like o-rings. The drag is so minimal, it just seems like alot. When you reassemble the front end it you take some time and make sure the forks are aligned before you tighten the pinch bolts, you will minimize the drag.

Lord Duckhunter
02-15-2006, 11:12 AM
yup sometimes we actually use a screwdriver to move the fork leg left or right on the axle a tiny bit before tightening the pinch bolts on that side. By doing that you can center the rotor in the caliper & get more free spin. It is time consuming & tedious & does not always work as it depends on the tolerances of the brake set-up.

Bobby
07-20-2006, 12:40 PM
I don't think it's "normal" but it's acceptable.

You might want to align your front end and maybe rebuild your calipers. You don't state what kind of bike and how many miles but from your profile on the left it looks like a '05 10R so rebuilding your calipers probably isn't necessary.

To align your front end, lift the front (NOT BY THE FORKS!!!) and loosen the axle bolt and the lower triple. Not sure about your bike specifically but you should loosen, then tighten the headset nut. Tighten everything up again and try spinning your front wheel. It should spin more freely.

CBRBob
07-20-2006, 01:10 PM
It is normal.