PDA

View Full Version : Leathers

Kennedy
05-26-2005, 12:20 AM
Well its come to the time for me to start thinking about leathers.

The way I see it is....A one piece is not practical for cruising and hanging out at bike nights/days. I would wear the one piece when I know I am going out to ride and not BS(Usually if I am by myself there is no stopping so basically everyday that im not BSing Im riding) . Now I guess I can ask if it would be better to have a one piece or two? Two is definatly more practical but fit and overall protection I think is greatly decreased. I am definatly leaning towards one piece....any comments and or suggestions? :nuts:

Chris

Mack
05-26-2005, 05:31 PM
you could get a two piece that zips together...thus you can wear just the jacket when BSing....I'm looking to get the pants to go with my jacket since it's been decided I'm crazy for wanting to install pucks on my jeans

JasonB
05-28-2005, 10:28 PM
you could get a two piece that zips together...thus you can wear just the jacket when BSing....I'm looking to get the pants to go with my jacket since it's been decided I'm crazy for wanting to install pucks on my jeans
You'er fucking crazy anyway.

I have a 2 piece that i use for the track and track only. I may sometime use the jacket on the street but not alot. It has a zipper all around to connect the 2 pieces. I also have quiet a few jackets that i use for Bsing around. But will always ride with a jacket

Kennedy
06-01-2005, 09:51 PM
I always ride with a jacket, gloves, and long jeans and my boots. But I want something a little more protective for the "harder rides"..... I guess depending on what options I have will be my deciding factor....

Mack isn't crazy..... :uh:

Cakes206
06-01-2005, 10:32 PM
I've got both....2pc for the street, 1 pc for the track...

Kennedy
06-01-2005, 10:42 PM
If I could have both I would....but im have limited funding :banghead:

Cakes206
06-01-2005, 10:50 PM
If I could have both I would....but im have limited funding :banghead:

Go with the 2pc.

Qetesh
06-01-2005, 10:51 PM
Well its come to the time for me to start thinking about leathers.

The way I see it is....A one piece is not practical for cruising and hanging out at bike nights/days. I would wear the one piece when I know I am going out to ride and not BS(Usually if I am by myself there is no stopping so basically everyday that im not BSing Im riding) . Now I guess I can ask if it would be better to have a one piece or two? Two is definatly more practical but fit and overall protection I think is greatly decreased. I am definatly leaning towards one piece....any comments and or suggestions? :nuts:

Chris

I have a 2 piece Alpinestars and I can't say enough good things about it.

I don't think that fit and protection are compromised at all regarding 2 pieces vs. 1 piece leathers. In reality, it's about what your own personal needs are. The location of armor and pucks on both 1 and 2 piece suits are the same.

IMO if you buy a suit, 1 or 2 piece, under $300 then you're not getting good quality leathers. That's the only place that I could see protection being compromised.

Look around, check out www.kneedraggers.com since they carry a lot of different brands. See what you like. If you have any friends with leathers ask to try theirs on so you can get an idea of what fit is like.

Let us know how ya make out!

carl_g
06-01-2005, 11:07 PM
2 piece suits have a weak spot. The zipper that connects the top and bottom. For the street they are ok and probably more preferable... but for the track I would never wear one.

Qetesh
06-01-2005, 11:14 PM
2 piece suits have a weak spot. The zipper that connects the top and bottom. For the street they are ok and probably more preferable... but for the track I would never wear one.

I don't agree that the zipper is a confirmed weak spot. If that was the case, then several trackday organizations such as TPM, Reduc, NESBA and WERA wouldn't allow them. They hold up just as well after a crash as a 1 piece would.

Perfect example, Drew has a 2 piece Vanson (if I remember correctly from Mosport) and he didn't experience any issues with the zipper connect.

~Donna~
06-02-2005, 10:17 AM
Jen how would you say the sizing runs for the womens line of 2 pcs? I guess what I am asking is if Alpinestars runs true to size for the ladies. Only thing I am worried about is the inseam. I normally wear between a 32" and 33" leg inseam. :)

duc748pilot
06-02-2005, 01:48 PM
ok well...heres my 2 cents if anyone cares. i'll give my take on each...

2 peice - rode with a 2 peice joe rocket speedmaster for a few years on the street and track. crashed ummm......3 times total in it. never had a problem. all in all...combining the 3 crashes i probably slid around 100 ft total on concrete, curbs, guardrail, and good ol' pocono rutty mud. the leather is barely scuffed. the pants are still pretty much mint other than a few scuffs.....the jacket is the same. never had an issue with the zipper.

1 peice - got my motogp suit recently. kangaroo is the shit! so much lighter. the quality is astonishing for the price also. the fit is amazing. only thing i have complaints of.......that i need two fuckin people to help me get out of the arms after a race. lol.

all in all.....i would wear a two peice on the street still. But i would never wear a two peice on the racetrack again. especially seeing some of the crashes this past race weekend at summit

Chris

Qetesh
06-02-2005, 11:16 PM
Jen how would you say the sizing runs for the womens line of 2 pcs? I guess what I am asking is if Alpinestars runs true to size for the ladies. Only thing I am worried about is the inseam. I normally wear between a 32" and 33" leg inseam. :)

The sizing runs pretty true to size, but be careful, because a lot of the suits use the European size first! When you order specify your size in US.

As far as Astars go, they're great! The women's line is really nice and kneedraggers.com carries most of them. The only problem I had was that I'm so f**cking short, that even though the fit was perfect, the inseam was WAYYYYY too long for me and I had to have them tailored :lmao:

If you order from www.kneedraggers.com you can return them or swap them for a size or model that you like better ;) Let me know how you make out :)

duc748pilot
06-03-2005, 09:18 AM
alpinestars leather isnt the best even thought they are a top name in the sport

Qetesh
06-03-2005, 10:36 AM
alpinestars leather isnt the best even thought they are a top name in the sport

If you plan on being an amateur or pro racer, then Astars probably aren't going to be top of the line. That's where custom suits come in.

For trackdays/streetriding, Astars are perfect. Jimmy, Jude and several others I'm sure will attest to that ;)

duc748pilot
06-03-2005, 10:56 AM
has nothing to do with being custom. astars shit is good fitting, good armor etc etc....but the leather quality just isnt the best. in my opinion...the stuff shreds on impact or a good slide.

Cakes206
06-03-2005, 11:15 AM
has nothing to do with being custom. astars shit is good fitting, good armor etc etc....but the leather quality just isnt the best. in my opinion...the stuff shreds on impact or a good slide.

Alot of it can be due tot he nature of the fall...just about any suit can be ruined if ya have a good get off...depends on where too...sliding down the front strait like Mike195 is gonna do more damage than hitting the pavement and sliding into the grass or kittly litter...

Ant
06-03-2005, 11:16 AM
Well, I just survived hitting the pavement at 130 mph with Joe Rocket. All I have are some friction burns and one spot where the suit wore through on the mesh. I give them 2 thumbs up.

Oh, and I've crashed in Alpinestars before and I agree with Chris, in that shit burned through pretty easy. The Joe Rocket stuff seems to be tougher. Although neither is like Vanson.

duc748pilot
06-03-2005, 11:25 AM
true joe...but theres def a difference in leather. one suit is gonna hold up better than the other in the same exact crash under the same exact cricumstances. im sure every mfg has their pros and cons. like ant though, ive crashed numerous time in joe rocket stuff. some good 50 ft full pavement slides....and theyre just scuffed. def 2 thumbs up.

with astars....your just paying for a name....they dont have to be the best quality, because they already have an established name.

carl_g
06-03-2005, 01:05 PM
If you plan on being an amateur or pro racer, then Astars probably aren't going to be top of the line.

Why would you say that??
A lot of pro racers wear alpinestars. Nickey Hayden & Hopper wear them. :nod:

Qetesh
06-03-2005, 08:06 PM
Why would you say that??
A lot of pro racers wear alpinestars. Nickey Hayden & Hopper wear them. :nod:

I say that because I can be an ass sometimes :lmao: I just assumed that that if someone is going to be riding at that level that they would be getting in to custom suits, etc.

I don't watch AMA or Moto GP so I didn't know about Hayden and Hopper using Astars :bigblush:

Ma'bad :worship:

Cakes206
06-03-2005, 08:10 PM
I say that because I can be an ass sometimes :lmao: I just assumed that that if someone is going to be riding at that level that they would be getting in to custom suits, etc.

I don't watch AMA or Moto GP so I didn't know about Hayden and Hopper using Astars :bigblush:

Ma'bad :worship:

Even then I don't think the avarage joe shmoe is gonna get the same suits these guys get...I could be wrong though.

carl_g
06-04-2005, 02:05 PM
Even then I don't think the avarage joe shmoe is gonna get the same suits these guys get...I could be wrong though.
Godd point. :nod:

Kennedy
06-12-2005, 07:36 PM
I think I found the leathers I am going to buy what do you guys think?

Aegis Leather 1PC Suit

• Premium quality one piece road racing suit manufactured
in top grain Brazilian leather.
• Fully ventilated through perforations in torso, legs, and
upper arms for maximum airflow and cooling.
• ASSC (Advanced Safety Seam Construction) provides
excellent abrasion resistance and burst strength with
double-stitching throughout, and triple
stitching in all critical areas.
• Kevlar stretch panels on the inside of arms, behind
knees, and in crotch area to reduce bunching and increase
comfort and mobility.
• Elbows, shoulders, and knees have CE approved dual-
density, molded polyurethane foam armor with a hard plastic
shell for maximum impact protection and abrasion
resistance.
• Full Aerodynamic race hump incorporated into the back
of the suit for maximum performance.
• Designed to provide a snug yet comfortable fit that does
not sacrifice movement or protection.
• High quality, genuine, YKK steel zippers used
throughout.
• 3M Reflective badges for added night-time safety.
• Removable mesh liner.
• Sizes: 40-52, US

Cakes206
06-12-2005, 09:40 PM
Looks good man...go for it.

Kennedy
06-12-2005, 11:07 PM
Lowest price I found was 514 with shipping...im not sure though

Qetesh
06-13-2005, 05:44 PM
Lowest price I found was 514 with shipping...im not sure though

Chris, definatly go for it!!! My 2 piece ladies Alpinestars were $678 shipped! Sounds like you're getting an awesome deal ;)

Kennedy
06-13-2005, 10:17 PM
I plan on ordering it within the next two weeks, need to figure out my sizes first...

wcrbikemike
06-14-2005, 10:55 AM
I have that same suit but in Blue/White/Black/Chrome. I have yet to wear it but have been using AGV leathers for the past 4 years and have never had a problem with them. You are getting a good deal on them also.

Kennedy
06-14-2005, 01:42 PM
Thats awesome thanks for the encouraging words, I have heard nothing but good things about AGV sport so this is all the more reason to purchase!!!

~Donna~
06-16-2005, 10:52 AM
:) That's a nice suit you are thinking about getting.

duc748pilot
06-16-2005, 11:07 AM
DUDE! chris.....buy a motogp roo suit. theyre incredible for the price i can hook you up with someone for a very good price. might be a tad more than the agv idk. call me later tonight.

Kennedy
06-16-2005, 11:08 AM
DUDE! chris.....buy a motogp roo suit. theyre incredible for the price i can hook you up with someone for a very good price. might be a tad more than the agv idk. call me later tonight.

That was the original suit I was looking at, but figured for 800 bucks I could buy a custom...Ill call you a little later

duc748pilot
06-16-2005, 11:17 AM
think about 150 bucks lower.

Kennedy
06-16-2005, 12:04 PM
PMsent...

Commuta_Busa
06-16-2005, 02:21 PM

I agree, plus depending on the rules and the type of racing a two piece may not be permitted by the rules.