PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?!

Bullshark
11-03-2005, 11:34 PM
My girl just got her bike. She's been learning on a 250 and its MUCH lighter than her new bike (CBR600RR).. She can ride the bike fine, but she is a lil shorter than is needed for her to get a good grip with her feet. The wide seat doesnt help either. Sometimes when she comes to a stop, her tippy toes arent enough to hold the bike up if it goes even a slight bit off center. It's a brand new bike and its fallen over twice already while at a stop. Anyway, I've exhausted my teaching skills on this, but she still has problems. Does anybody know if the seat can be scooped out a little on the 600RR's? If you can think of ANYTHING else that I havent thought of yet, the advice is valued. She is about 5'6"-5'7" and put the toes of both feet on the ground when stopped.. I feel bad because she is a decent rider so far, she just cant get her f'in feet on the ground enough to hold it up. :roflmao:

ffejtable
11-04-2005, 12:23 AM
?????

are you serious?

why didnt you think of this before spending all that money on a new bike?

Vin
11-04-2005, 12:32 AM
Lower it.

Qetesh
11-04-2005, 12:43 AM
?????

are you serious?

+1

I'm vertically challenged myself, at 5' 1" and a 29 1/2" inseam, my only solution is to lower any of my bikes.

You may run in to a problem lowering her CBR. From what I understand, as I looked in to a CBR myself, is that it's not possible to install a lowering link (also called a dog bone) in this particular bike. Why? I was told it's because the suspension is locked, for lack of a better word.

So, the only suggestions I have are: (1) bring her and her bike to WCW and have them do a suspension set up to her. This should be done regardless of anything else. (2) She can look in to buying a pair of boots with a chunky 2 inch heel, often called a "lug" sole and/or boot. I purchased my from a Harley Davidson dealer and they work perfectly for me. (3) Alter the factory seat or order a custom Corbin or Sargent seat.

Hope that helps.

High_Revs_17
11-04-2005, 01:31 AM
I just read this and it made me ill. :banghead:

HondaGalToo
11-04-2005, 06:14 AM
Ouch, I'd have learned on something used first, but since she has it...

Diamond Powersports makes a lowering link. PM CBRBob, he knows more about it. You'll have to shorten the sidestand as well.

CBRBob
11-04-2005, 09:02 AM
Ouch, I'd have learned on something used first, but since she has it...
Diamond Powersports makes a lowering link. PM CBRBob, he knows more about it. You'll have to shorten the sidestand as well.

Exactly.Tip toes are enough for an experienced rider to handle but why did you get a fairly new rider such a radical bike? Anyway, raise the forks 10mm and install the lowering link to the higher of the 2 settings. The lower will have the wheel bottoming out on bumps. The higher will lower it 1.25in, that's enough. You will have to shorten the sidestand by 1.5 inches as well. It can be sectioned between the spring tab and the heel post and then rewelded, perhaps with a steel slug inside for strength(see pic). There is NOTHING to scoop out on the seat and it is about as narrow a seat on a sportbike as there is. Lowering this way is about the only option. Remember physical height is not the factor, inseam is. I am 5'11" and am on my tiptoes on my XX. The other thing you can have her do is keep her foot on the brake and put her left foot flat on the ground, she should have learned that at the MSF class she took. Good luck! Hope this helps! :wave2:
Click Here for Lowering Links (http://www.diamondpowersports.com/lowerlinks.php?PHPSESSID=b732de4684a572b0888789f35 b66d1e8)

carl_g
11-04-2005, 09:24 AM
+1

I'm vertically challenged myself, at 5' 1" and a 29 1/2" inseam, my only solution is to lower any of my bikes.

You may run in to a problem lowering her CBR. From what I understand, as I looked in to a CBR myself, is that it's not possible to install a lowering link (also called a dog bone) in this particular bike. Why? I was told it's because the suspension is locked, for lack of a better word.

So, the only suggestions I have are: (1) bring her and her bike to WCW and have them do a suspension set up to her. This should be done regardless of anything else. (2) She can look in to buying a pair of boots with a chunky 2 inch heel, often called a "lug" sole and/or boot. I purchased my from a Harley Davidson dealer and they work perfectly for me. (3) Alter the factory seat or order a custom Corbin or Sargent seat.

Hope that helps.

ahahaha! Jen is so short.. she even had to lower her 50! :roflmao: ;)

Rev
11-04-2005, 09:47 AM
Exactly.Tip toes are enough for an experienced rider to handle but why did you get a fairly new rider such a radical bike? Anyway, raise the forks 10mm and install the lowering link to the higher of the 2 settings. The lower will have the wheel bottoming out on bumps. The higher will lower it 1.25in, that's enough. You will have to shorten the sidestand by 1.5 inches as well. It can be sectioned between the spring tab and the heel post and then rewelded, perhaps with a steel slug inside for strength(see pic). There is NOTHING to scoop out on the seat and it is about as narrow a seat on a sportbike as there is. Lowering this way is about the only option. Remember physical height is not the factor, inseam is. I am 5'11" and am on my tiptoes on my XX. The other thing you can have her do is keep her foot on the brake and put her left foot flat on the ground, she should have learned that at the MSF class she took. Good luck! Hope this helps! :wave2:
Click Here for Lowering Links (http://www.diamondpowersports.com/lowerlinks.php?PHPSESSID=b732de4684a572b0888789f35 b66d1e8)

the seat is as scooped out as it gets. her being 5'7 and not being able to hold the rr up is weird. My girl is 5'2 and she rides an 04 f4i she wears these drag line boots that she is almost flat foot when standing still. I can stand the bike fine but i got used to what bob said. Keep the right foot on the brake and lean the bike to the left and balance it with the left. She can handle the bike..it's narrow and pretty light. She just has to get used to balanceing the bike. That bike is easy to conquer. Does she have frame sliders? Anyway the 3 suggestions given:

Get the drag line boots, i'm sure my girl will post it on here
Right foot on brake, lean bike on left a tad and balance with left foot.
Get the lowering links
Let her practice this with you watching her...just make sure she doesn't fall over. Good luck, tell her to go on www.600rr.net they have a lot of usefull information on there. Lots of girls on there riding rr's. But this site is very informative on more things.. good luck

PitsVtec
11-04-2005, 10:28 AM
As Rev said, I'm 5'2" and ride and F4i - which is 31.9 inches, as opposed to the 32.3 inch RR. I too tipped over 3 times twice on the f4i and once on the 250. Most of the time it happens because you lose your footing. Back to the point, I didn't want to start messing with the bike by lowering it and what not. I thought about shaving the seat, but then thought why do more costly things when I can just try getting bigger boots. I also wanted to get used to the bike the way it was. So I solved my own problem and bought the Rocket Dog Draglines and they are perfect for the height problem. They make me about your girls' height, but have a disadvantage which are being soft toe, so they cave in. Oh well, "you can't always get what you want", but at least this was the cheaper way to go first.

Commuta_Busa
11-04-2005, 10:33 AM
get frame sliders... BIG ones...

Kennedy
11-04-2005, 10:44 AM
I ride a 636 and Im 5'6.....5'7 on a good day lol.....I can barely tippy toe the thing. Usually I come to a stop with my right foot on the brake and left foot FLAT FOOTED on the ground....Since the bike is so light she SHOULD be able to support its weight with one leg....you just need to get over that feeling that it will tip over if you don't have two feet on the ground. Please don't lower it :(

Bullshark
11-04-2005, 11:43 AM
?????

are you serious?

We did and in the showroom, it didnt seem like it would be much of a problem. In fact she felt most comfy on this one as opposed to others.

As far as starting her on a smaller bike, I did.. She is very comfortable on the 250 she has been riding for the season. She had her heart set on this bike and once that happens there is no talkin her out of it (i've tried, and tried, and tried, and tried, and tried, and tried).. She can ride the bike fine while in motion (and yes, dont worry, even though this is true she'll be taking the MSF course and the free course offered by her state), its just when she is stopped, if she even slightly loses her balance, she's down for the count.. I'm sure as she gets more comfortable with this bike, it will stop. We are looking for a way to minimize the occurances in the mean time. Nobody should be getting ill at this thread.

Anyway, I think what we decided on was for now get her thicker sole'd boots, bigger sliders, and work on technique.. If that fails, someone mentioned the idea of lowering with links and then moving the front forks up in the clamps to fix the handling issues caused by lowering. Shes not going to be dragging anything anytime soon, so we will cross that bridge in a few seasons. The suspension will be set up regardless...Thanks for all the suggestions, they helped a lot!

Cakes206
11-04-2005, 12:25 PM
She has to learn to lean left when stopping and plant her left foot on the ground. Definitly look into lowering the bike a little...does she ride alone? Can she pick the bike up if it tips over at a light or stop sign? Just a few things to consider.

Ant
11-04-2005, 12:27 PM
I ride a 636 and Im 5'6.....5'7 on a good day lol.....I can barely tippy toe the thing. Usually I come to a stop with my right foot on the brake and left foot FLAT FOOTED on the ground....Since the bike is so light she SHOULD be able to support its weight with one leg....you just need to get over that feeling that it will tip over if you don't have two feet on the ground. Please don't lower it :(

+1, don't be ridiculous. I'm only 5'7" or less, and I have no problem.

Vin
11-04-2005, 01:01 PM
Short people scare me.

Cakes206
11-04-2005, 01:13 PM
Short people scare me.

BOO! :lol:

Vin
11-04-2005, 01:15 PM
BOO! :lol:
:cries: :runaway:

CBRBob
11-04-2005, 01:31 PM
Short people scare me.

You mean 'inseam deficient'. :wave2:

High_Revs_17
11-04-2005, 01:37 PM
Vertically challenged

High_Revs_17
11-04-2005, 01:39 PM
get frame sliders... BIG ones...

Those new extra large ones also have wheels on the ends...

Kawibabe
11-04-2005, 01:47 PM
She hasn't taken the MSF yet?! Well, there's one problem.

Try these boots, they are for riding and will give her about an inch extra inseam:

http://www.helimot.com/catalog/boots/boots_ladystar_data.shtml

Yes, they are expensive, but extremely good quality and hopefully if that's the only thing you need to buy to make it where she's a bit more stable and can enjoy riding more, then it's definitely worth it!

soda7o
11-04-2005, 01:49 PM
get a crash cage trust me... or sell me the bike real cheap ... :lol:

Lower the bike..get her to wear some sort for platform shoe.( not too extreme tho), frame slider and or cage.. MXD makes a race cage which should not interfere withth elean at all doe snot look big or bulcky and does not hurt your shins but will save your cases when she droops it.. GET IT!!!!!!

your other choises is to buyone of those tourcher machiens and try to stretch her.. :lol:

Kennedy
11-04-2005, 03:17 PM
Short people scare me.

They only scare you because they can go faster :) :lmao:

Vin
11-04-2005, 03:59 PM
They only scare you because they can go faster :) :lmao:

Less wind resistance -- it makes sense!
Besides I am slow anyway, so that doesn't say much for the shorties. :lol:

Kennedy
11-04-2005, 04:55 PM
Bahhhhhhhh HUMBUG BITCHES

AfricanBootyScratcher
11-04-2005, 07:43 PM
get what michelle calls 'big girl shoes', as was stated before

Kennedy
11-04-2005, 07:44 PM
Or some Herman Munster shoes....

CBRBob
11-04-2005, 09:00 PM
she'll be taking the MSF course and the free course offered by her state

What state is she in?

CBRBob
11-04-2005, 09:04 PM
Or some Herman Munster shoes....

How bout' nooooooooo!

One you get the sole of the shoe more thanabout 3/4 of an inch you lose all feel of the bike and you have to readjust the controls to an odd angle. Do the loweing job as described and you will have no problems.

Rev
11-04-2005, 11:16 PM
don't worry..when she get's used to the weight and how to balance it...she'll be ok.....get her to practice right foot brake, left foot flat and leaned on the inner left thigh.....good luck..

IG.
11-05-2005, 02:01 AM
I am average height, and wanted to have my feet flat on the ground when stopped. Brought my riding boots to a shoe place, and they added extra soles (like 8 mm thick). Made a difference in my case. Didn't lose any feel of controls, but had to re-adjust the shift lever and the rear brake lever - not a big deal.