PDA

View Full Version : Vonage / VoIP phones

jcblitz
11-03-2005, 12:00 PM
Anyone using vonage (http://www.vonage.com/) or another VoIP system? I'm getting an apartment in a month or so and thinking of going the VoIP way, but don't know anyone that's actually using it. How's the quality if you're using it?

Ant
11-03-2005, 12:07 PM
I've only heard good things about it. Some friends have it in Philadelphia. But with cell phones, now a days, what's the point?

jcblitz
11-03-2005, 12:24 PM
I've only heard good things about it. Some friends have it in Philadelphia. But with cell phones, now a days, what's the point?

I was going to stick with my cell phone but from what the landlord said, cell phone reception sucks inside the apartments. I work from home so I need to a reliable phone. Plus, my work will pay for 50% of my phone bill. What I'm hoping is that I can hook the Vonage system up to my computer and have it act like a call center so I can record my calls and stuff.

RonJ83
11-03-2005, 12:25 PM
the advantage is that its cheap, sound quality is pretty much the same, however if you ever have a black out your phone will be redered useless until power comes back and also make sure they have 911 avaliable and if so make sure you activate it.

Cakes206
11-03-2005, 01:28 PM
But with cell phones, now a days, what's the point?

If you ever decide on home security system, you need a land line.

jcblitz
11-03-2005, 01:35 PM
If you ever decide on home security system, you need a land line.

or a shotgun.

Islandmon
11-03-2005, 01:38 PM
Personally I love it...Only problens are when we lose power..Which happens frequently at times here in St. Kitts. OR when the DSL slows real bad it will pixelate once in awhile. But shit you can take it with you which works for me NJ number in St. shitts. And only 27 bucks month with no extra charges and 911 is available but you do need to activate through the website.

soda7o
11-03-2005, 01:42 PM
I have Vonage in both my houses inPA and IN Brooklyn.
in brooklyn i have Optimumonline whichis a good internet provider andi have the 24.99 plan. had osm eminor problems with it at the beggingn but that was some sort oftechniclal issues but ever since than ( for about 10 months ) now i havehad no problem.. there are a few pluses to it..
1- free vonge to vonage
2- you can takeyou vonage router anywhere yougo andplug it in and your phone willowrk ther .. when i rented my PA house the guy took his vonage router plugged it in to my internet and was getting his phone calls there.
3- everything is accessable online... set up voive mail forwarding etc.. i forward my PA clals to my cell when i am not in PA, i also haveit set up that i canlisten to voivemail sonline at vonage .com andi get an email (or txt mssg) everytime someone leaves me a message.

I like it but like people said if there is a black out yougot no phone.. :( like in pa when power went down for a week i had no phone but peple could still leave msgs and i could listen to the... i also sometimes bring my PA vonage router home to vbrooklyn and make it seem like i am in PA when i am reallyin brooklyn oh yeah inPA i havethe 14.99plan which is 500 minutes its plenty..
i say go for it..
if you do please sign up thru me tho so i get a free month and so do u

thanks

RonJ83
11-03-2005, 02:20 PM
http://www22.verizon.com/FiOSforhome/channels/FiOS/root/package.aspx

try this, they put on a deminstration at my local mall and the speed was amazing, dam road runner is costing me 50 bucks a month.

jcblitz
11-03-2005, 03:19 PM
I have Vonage in both my houses inPA and IN Brooklyn.
in brooklyn i have Optimumonline whichis a good internet provider andi have the 24.99 plan. had osm eminor problems with it at the beggingn but that was some sort oftechniclal issues but ever since than ( for about 10 months ) now i havehad no problem.. there are a few pluses to it..
1- free vonge to vonage
2- you can takeyou vonage router anywhere yougo andplug it in and your phone willowrk ther .. when i rented my PA house the guy took his vonage router plugged it in to my internet and was getting his phone calls there.
3- everything is accessable online... set up voive mail forwarding etc.. i forward my PA clals to my cell when i am not in PA, i also haveit set up that i canlisten to voivemail sonline at vonage .com andi get an email (or txt mssg) everytime someone leaves me a message.

I like it but like people said if there is a black out yougot no phone.. :( like in pa when power went down for a week i had no phone but peple could still leave msgs and i could listen to the... i also sometimes bring my PA vonage router home to vbrooklyn and make it seem like i am in PA when i am reallyin brooklyn oh yeah inPA i havethe 14.99plan which is 500 minutes its plenty..
i say go for it..
if you do please sign up thru me tho so i get a free month and so do u

thanks

What's that mean? I thought, besides the monthly fee, the calls were free. Unless you're talking about calling africa or something. I'll sign up through you if I decide to go with it, which I probably will.

FigNewTon
11-03-2005, 04:02 PM
I have Road Runner VoIP and have no complaints. It is a flat fee every month providing you do not call outside the US or Puerto Rico and in case of a power failure my cable modem has 2 battery backups.

soda7o
11-03-2005, 04:06 PM
What's that mean? I thought, besides the monthly fee, the calls were free. Unless you're talking about calling africa or something. I'll sign up through you if I decide to go with it, which I probably will.

that means if you ahevv a minute plan like i do inone of myhouses i donot use the minutes when calling anyone who has vonage.. onlypeoepl outside the vonage network

ffejtable
11-03-2005, 09:13 PM
if you are concerned about not having phone service when you lose power, onage also has the simultaneous ring feature, or whatever its called so that when people call your vonage #, it will also ring in up to 2 or 3 other places, so you have have it ring your cell phone... i think you can have this feature active only when you lose your voip connection, also, so it doesnt always ring your cell, only when you lose power (or internet connection)...

personally i love it and think its great, but i hardly ever use even use it... 90%+ of my calls are with my cell.... ive been thinking of downgrading myself to the 500 minute $15 plan....

jcblitz
11-03-2005, 10:29 PM
power loss was the least of my concerns, I can walk outside and use my cell for that. I just wanted to make sure it was clear and reliable. Thanks for the responses.

Cakes206
11-03-2005, 10:55 PM
power loss was the least of my concerns, I can walk outside and use my cell for that. I just wanted to make sure it was clear and reliable. Thanks for the responses.

Cell towers work on commercial power too...actually I think Verizon uses a bunch of hampsters on a wheel (sorry Jimmy) :lol:

Jimmy
11-04-2005, 01:49 AM
Cell towers work on commercial power too...actually I think Verizon uses a bunch of hampsters on a wheel (sorry Jimmy) :lol:
Hey! Those are union hampsters damn it :lol:

Islandchick
11-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Vonage kicks ass..we live on St.Kitts and we took it with us so instead of having a 300$ phone bill per month it is only 28....plus family and friends call us now...lol