PDA

View Full Version : Summit report TPM 10/17

motopix
10-18-2005, 08:57 AM
I was going to write a long-azz report but now I realize I don't have much to say really.

Met lots of friends again, and ISM too :wave2: I didn't get much of a chance to hang and talk to BurnCycle. I looked for you later and although your trailer was there, you were nowhere to be found. Unfortunately, my TZ250 deal didn't work out so I rode the gsxr - damn that bike is fast.

My friend Bernie (TLR) wrecked pretty hard, lowsided in 8 (weird place to wreck) and his bike is facked. He probably has a broken scaphoid(?) and perhaps a broken thumb. Greg took ART Basic (Honda F2) and had a blast. Were it not for the money, I think he'd be out there every TD from now on.

Cakes cracked a wheels attempting to plow a lane between 9 and 10. Email or PM me about my spare set.

I'm not sure what happened to the guy who went off at 1 and ended the day early but I think it was the same guy who tried to outbrake me into 1 and ran off or almost ran off then later took my line into 4 and nearly punted me off the track because of it.

I'm cool with inside or outside passes on me even though we aren't supposed to pass inside in the red group but coming up on the inside of someone in 4, taking their line and just sitting next to them through the turn is not a safe pass and turn 4 is a fast as hell turn and not someplace to mess around.

Once the offending transmitter was discovered by the carousel, my lap timer was working again and I am able to proudly say that I did many laps into the low 1:29s. Yeah, it's not a track record or anything but it's progress for me.

Vin
10-18-2005, 09:13 AM
Nice report. I was there when you were speaking to Cakes and Qetesh but neglected to introduce myself because I didn't want to interrupt. Didn't see you the rest of the day.

BurnCycle
10-18-2005, 09:14 AM
Jeff, for some reason I found myself all over the pits this time. At lunch I headed over to the stands for the GP race. Saw the lowside at T5 that red flagged the race. It almost looked like he was going to get run over at one point. His ankle look to be a bit buggered, he was limping back to the ambulance with some help.

OK Bern's report time…

I prepped the bike on Sunday with my 3-year old son. In order to keep it fun for him I ended up adding a little extra tape to the front, hence the teeth. He got a kick out of it and I thought it was funny as hell.

Monday morning the alarm went of at its normal time and I got myself together and headed off. It was a brisk 55 degrees so I brought along an extra thermal layer, good thing too, I don’t think the temp made it into the 70’s.

The TL was running strong power wise. That cool air made a noticeable difference and it felt stronger than I remember it in the past. I’m still running in the beginner group and the morning was slow, but with cold tires and a cold track surface that wasn’t exactly a bad thing. I primarily worked on my lines and body position rather than speed but still managed to screw that one on one occasion…

Turn 10 is the final turn before the long straight at Summit Point (Main). A lot of speed can be carried through this turn. I think I became ‘relaxed’ on this run and wasn’t exactly concentrating on what I was doing. I took a wide line through it but nothing out of the ordinary. Just after the apex as I’m on the gas I feel the front start to slide. PUCKER! I kept the bike on a constant (throttle / body position) as not to upset it any further but aimed for the runoff area to widen the line. The front regained traction just before the run off with the front end letting me know not to do that again (head shake). PUCKER! I’m still not sure what that actual cause was as I ask more of the front in different parts of the track without issue.

The afternoon runs were a lot of run as the pace is increased and the students that run in the beginner group are let loose (less clutter). On the final run I set up behind Vinny and ran with him for a few laps. From what I could tell of the SV is that its mid range is comparable to the TL’s but it does loose out a bit on the top end (but I think everyone’s read that by now, I just got the opportunity to experience it). I passed him after running with him for a few laps and unfortunately a few laps later I saw his bike sitting up in the run off for turn 1. Stop, Hammer time. :lol:

The day was cut short due to a bad accident that I know little of (different run group) other than the rider was air lifted out. Thoughts go out to the rider and hope everything will be OK.

The ‘I’m still an amateur’ came at the announcement of having the suspension checked by a professional at the end of the day. I took the TL over and the impromptu suspension tech was given by Arthur Diaz who rides for Buell. Now I try to keep my suspension in tune but I’ll admit that sometimes it even confuses the crap out of me when reading the do’s, don’ts and how-to’s. Turns out my front preload need a lot more (one line left showing), the rebound just needed a click less and the compression was spot on. The rear was… er… bad. I had dialed in so much preload it was laughable. The compression just needed a click and the rebound went from 3 to 2 on the Bitubo lever. At the end of it the TL’s front and back was bouncing at an even pace. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to go back out and try it out but its nice knowing It been looked over and my mistakes have been corrected.

Of course my ego got the best of me when I noticed the camera man got a number of good shots. I’ve ordered the CD and will have a few more in a week or so.

http://www.mariposaderojo.com/Pics/TLS/Track7/Track1Small.jpg

Kennedy
10-18-2005, 09:21 AM
Good report I had a blast as well, nice meeting you guys.

njracer
10-18-2005, 09:36 AM
Well, what can I say? It was a great day and it was nice to see a few people I have not seen in a while.

It was cool to see cakes but I have to ask myself a ?....is it me or him? Everytime I see him at the track he's either in the kitty litter in T1 or now, finding pot holes between T9 and T10. :crazy:

Antway, the morning started out good and while I was taking it slow, I was down into the low 25's in the 1st session. Each seeion after that I dropped more time and by the time the GP race was up I was at a very low 22. The race was fun except for the RC51 that I could not get around.....he rides a very protective line and all of my passing zones were usless. However, once I did get around him I went right into the 21's and then the race was over. I ended up with a 3rd and 6th overall.....not bad but the competition is not even close compaired to WERA or CCS (but I knew that). The rest of the day I spent fuggin around with a friend who works with TPM. Just letting him pass me and then passing him at will just to piss him off while doing a comfy 1:25 pace. It was fun to see him get frustrated every time I snuck under him going into T6.

Anyway, it was a great way to end the season and I'm looking forward to next year....just have to figure out if I'm selling the 04 GSXR and picking up the new 06. :confused:

njracer

Vin
10-18-2005, 09:48 AM
The afternoon runs were a lot of run as the pace is increased and the students that run in the beginner group are let loose (less clutter). On the final run I set up behind Vinny and ran with him for a few laps. From what I could tell of the SV is that its mid range is comparable to the TL’s but it does loose out a bit on the top end (but I think everyone’s read that by now, I just got the opportunity to experience it). I passed him after running with him for a few laps and unfortunately a few laps later I saw his bike sitting up in the run off for turn 1. Stop, Hammer time. :lol:

Doh. :)

Yeah, I got quite a few good drives coming out of T10 which really helped me reach 130-135. I can't touch your TL nor my buddy's Mille in the battle of the twins on that straight. I got nothin'. :lol:

But the bike is runnable. Just got some repairs to do.

motopix
10-18-2005, 10:01 AM
I had a slide between 1 and 2 and another on the following lap going into 3. That shook my confidence in the tires a bit but then someone pointed out to check my hot pressures. With the big fluctuation in temps yesterday, I had to deflate a couple/few pounds of air pressure to my traction back.

Unfortunately, brain fade and fortunately common sense had me ending my day early; but intact.

Now to plan the winter projects :crazy:

I Ride
10-18-2005, 10:08 AM
Nice report. I was there when you were speaking to Cakes and Qetesh but neglected to introduce myself because I didn't want to interrupt. Didn't see you the rest of the day.

hey where the F were you ?? I forgot you were going...(rough weekend !) i woulda looked for you

you crashed ?

Vin
10-18-2005, 10:17 AM
hey where the F were you ?? I forgot you were going...(rough weekend !) i woulda looked for you

you crashed ?

Yeah, I crashed midway through T1 during what was the last white session of the day. I looked for you too and saw your 315 bike but could get you to stand still long enough for me to introduce myself. :lol: You coaches are busy people.

I was blasting down the straight and simply (from what I think) leaned too much in T1 catching some hard parts. Went sliding and got hit by the bike. Nothing TOO TOO bad but there's some cosmetic damage, a broken right clipon, right peg/brake lever, clutch lever and a gouge on the tank.

Ant
10-18-2005, 10:39 AM
It was a good day. Ate lots of tostitos, cashews, burgers, and hot dogs. Did a little filming and even hit 140mph on Rt. 78 in the M5.

Mike295
10-18-2005, 11:37 AM
Well, what can I say? It was a great day and it was nice to see a few people I have not seen in a while.

It was cool to see cakes but I have to ask myself a ?....is it me or him? Everytime I see him at the track he's either in the kitty litter in T1 or now, finding pot holes between T9 and T10. :crazy:

Antway, the morning started out good and while I was taking it slow, I was down into the low 25's in the 1st session. Each seeion after that I dropped more time and by the time the GP race was up I was at a very low 22. The race was fun except for the RC51 that I could not get around.....he rides a very protective line and all of my passing zones were usless. However, once I did get around him I went right into the 21's and then the race was over. I ended up with a 3rd and 6th overall.....not bad but the competition is not even close compaired to WERA or CCS (but I knew that). The rest of the day I spent fuggin around with a friend who works with TPM. Just letting him pass me and then passing him at will just to piss him off while doing a comfy 1:25 pace. It was fun to see him get frustrated every time I snuck under him going into T6.

Anyway, it was a great way to end the season and I'm looking forward to next year....just have to figure out if I'm selling the 04 GSXR and picking up the new 06. :confused:

njracer

awsome to see you out at track days... too bad i couldent make it... some people actually have to work for a living... but glad to see you at some trackdays

carl_g
10-18-2005, 11:44 AM
Nice to see everyone and meet some new people today. I had a lot of fun once I figured out my shift points.. It is hard to shift while leaned over. I was getting killed on the strait..but that is a given. I found myself carrying a lot more entry and exit speed then a ton of people in my group but I still have to work on my passing skills.. Passing people on the outside is scary. All in all great time! I will post some pictures later.

I Ride
10-18-2005, 11:55 AM
Nice to see everyone and meet some new people today. I had a lot of fun once I figured out my shift points.. It is hard to shift while leaned over. I was getting killed on the strait..but that is a given. I found myself carrying a lot more entry and exit speed then a ton of people in my group but I still have to work on my passing skills.. Passing people on the outside is scary. All in all great time! I will post some pictures later.

Hey.......i told you i was going to get my bike that one session....and i came back and you were gone ! lol :confused:

Cakes206
10-18-2005, 07:18 PM
Was great hangin with everyone, Burncycle, Cecil, was great meeting you guys...Was having a great day till my lil mishap 1/2 thru the 4th session. First session, shaked out some cobwebs...1/2 way thru started to pick up the pace...2nd and third sessions were great, making alot of passes where I normally wouldn't in the past, like down the hill(I used to puss out for 5) and the shoot between 5 and 6(really need to commit right tharr.) Had a close call in the 2nd or 3rd session where I went thru 5 and I felt the rear spin up :wow: Fourth session, last session before lunch, 1/2 way thru I'm runnin pretty good, makin some nice passes, on the throttle draggin knee out of 9...I'm closing the gap on a slower paced rider so I geep bringing it wide to pass him, see I'm about to run out of track but notice the pavement was about to widen, so I figure if its there, I'm gonna use it, 4th gear, throttle locked out, come to the extension, BAM...I miss the extension and hit the lip of the pavement with the right side of the rim...felt like I hit a curb. Kept it up thinking I'm ok, start my turn in for 10 I feel something isn't right...come off pace and the line...all the way to riders right down the strait, look down, tire is flat...UUGGGG :banghead: End up crawling into the grass inside T1...sittin there...yellow is out...now I just became "That Guy" :lol: Sittin there for a few and I saw a service road...decided to take it and hobble the bike back to the pits...what a workout...anywho...I have a new rim coming in(thank you John Stevens from TPM) and I have a set of Dunlops so all will be fine for VIR! :firemad:

Pic1: Where I hit, right in the right side corner of the lip...
Pic2: Diff angle.
Pic3: Bent rim and the Southpaw stamp of approval :lol:
Pic4: Close up, check out the crack at the base of the spoke.
Pic5: TPM Coach Tony with the R1, spun his chain, cracked the case :wow:
Pic6 and7: Southpaw and Kennedy...they compliment eachother, how cute :LOL:

Vin
10-18-2005, 07:43 PM
I just became "That Guy"

You were "That Guy" for just a short time, Cakes. :)

Kennedy
10-18-2005, 07:51 PM
Thats one funny as picture....wheres my skittles bitches lol.....I was "That Guy" Twice...........IN ONE DAY doh!

Cakes206
10-18-2005, 08:11 PM

I think it might be you, you're like the idol from Brady Bunch goes to Hawaii...shit goes wrong when you're around...can even hear the song in the backround n shit :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cakes cracked a wheels attempting to plow a lane between 9 and 10. Email or PM me about my spare set.

Check PM's :biggthump

BurnCycle
10-18-2005, 08:23 PM
:P

http://www.mariposaderojo.com/Pics/TLS/Track7/Oct17.gif

Kennedy
10-18-2005, 08:41 PM
Do me do me! lol

motopix
10-18-2005, 09:09 PM
Bern, the gif-meister! :lol: And hells-no, I'm not gonna ask you to "do me" like that ho Kennedy.

Cakes, now what the hell am I gonna do with these SV wheels if you're not gonna buy them? :cries:

carl_g
10-18-2005, 09:24 PM
Bern, the gif-meister! :lol: And hells-no, I'm not gonna ask you to "do me" like that ho Kennedy.

Cakes, now what the hell am I gonna do with these SV wheels if you're not gonna buy them? :cries:

Jeff.. just sell them and put it into the tz fund!
nice to meet you on Monday btw! :)

estyles
10-18-2005, 09:51 PM
all i have to say is that was truely one awesome day. good to see and meet everyone there. it couldnt have been a nicer day weather wise. i came in not liking the track that much but left loving it and i cannot wait to go back. it just sucked that there were soo many crashes and or mifortunes with peoples bike, hope everyones alright.
later, evan

njracer
10-18-2005, 11:22 PM
Pic1: Where I hit, right in the right side corner of the lip...
Pic2: Diff angle.

Not to be a ball buster but do you SEE the white line on the side of the track??? This is the end of the track.....go over it at your own risk....you understand now??? :wave2: :crazy:

Nice to see ya there :wave2: .......next time I hope to see you in the blue group. :nod2:

njracer

motopix
10-18-2005, 11:24 PM
Jeff.. just sell them and put it into the tz fund!
nice to meet you on Monday btw! :)

The fund isn't the problem. It's finding someone who will follow through with the sale :jerkit:

Did ya see me flash you the V for victory as I passed you in the straight?

Damn, you were stinkin' up the place! :LOL: :LOL:

carl_g
10-18-2005, 11:39 PM
The fund isn't the problem. It's finding someone who will follow through with the sale :jerkit:

Did ya see me flash you the V for victory as I passed you in the straight?

Damn, you were stinkin' up the place! :LOL: :LOL:
LOL I saw that!
Smoke...who me? :embarrass

CBRBob
10-18-2005, 11:50 PM
http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1302&stc=1&thumb=1

Blue can. Putting Kero in your truck?

Cakes206
10-19-2005, 07:43 AM

Can't pass it up when its free...still might pick up your set though just to have. :)

rentzisp
10-19-2005, 09:31 AM
So none of you noticed the red guys who were accidently let out into the blue group ? The one that got medivacted was among that group

carl_g
10-19-2005, 10:02 AM
So none of you noticed the red guys who were accidently let out into the blue group ? The one that got medivacted was among that group
What are you talking about?? I was in red and the guy who took a chopper ride fell in my last session... the red session.

njracer
10-19-2005, 10:09 AM
What are you talking about?? I was in red and the guy who took a chopper ride fell in my last session... the red session.

+1

njracer

BTW - the guy seems to be fine. He was complaining of no feeling in his legs or something and thats why they called in the chopper. By the time it got to the track he regained his feeling.

Cristine
10-19-2005, 11:45 AM
Hi guys. I had a great day on Monday at Summit too. The problem with the Buell was solved and the new motor runs really strong. Could drag race SV's down the straight and beat (some of) them. Had so much fun I got up the nerve to beat a few others on the brakes going into turn 1.

Got the bump to Red at the end of the day.

All I really want out of life is faster lap times and a loud bike! :nod2:

Criss
Orange Buell

lateapex
10-19-2005, 12:21 PM

Way to go. Congratulations.

BurnCycle
10-19-2005, 01:21 PM
Congrats on the bump Criss.

I need to get off my lazy arse and get evaluated for a bump up to Red. That way I can give Jeff some shit. :lol:

Cristine
10-19-2005, 01:45 PM
Thanks Geo and Bern. I'm in for giving Jeff some shit (if I can catch him). I owe him a bad pass from a while back - LOL.

Criss
Orange Buell

Cakes206
10-19-2005, 01:53 PM
Hi guys. I had a great day on Monday at Summit too. The problem with the Buell was solved and the new motor runs really strong. Could drag race SV's down the straight and beat (some of) them. Had so much fun I got up the nerve to beat a few others on the brakes going into turn 1.

Criss
Orange Buell

Congratz on the bump...welcome to Red.

Kennedy
10-19-2005, 03:24 PM
Congratz on the bump...welcome to Red.

+1 saw you doing some great riding out there.

motopix
10-19-2005, 03:27 PM
Thanks Geo and Bern. I'm in for giving Jeff some shit (if I can catch him). I owe him a bad pass from a while back - LOL.

Criss
Orange Buell

Hey, it wasn't a bad pass it was a bad follow through afterwards. :LOL:

Bern and Criss: bring it on! :crazy:

And congrats on the bump. You're free from the ART Basic parade laps!

Cristine
10-19-2005, 04:12 PM
Jeff -

True, true - I stand corrected.

And you were quite charming while delivering your explanation/apology for same! ;)

Criss
Orange Buell

Vin
10-19-2005, 05:25 PM
Jeff -

True, true - I stand corrected.

And you were quite charming while delivering your explanation/apology for same! ;)

Criss
Orange Buell

I was probably one of the SV's you passed. I was admiring your Buell in the grid. :nod2:

CBRBob
10-19-2005, 07:02 PM
Good job Chris!

Just remember..........

H
O
N
D
A

:)

Kennedy
10-19-2005, 07:53 PM
Good job Chris!

Just remember..........

H
O
N
D
A

Chris? I remembered ....don't crash....again...:lol:

RCM78
10-19-2005, 08:15 PM
Good job Chris!

Just remember..........

H
O
N
D
A

:nod2: :nod2: :nod2: :nod2: :nod2: :nod2: :nod2: :nod2: :nod2:

rentzisp
10-19-2005, 11:47 PM

I did'nt say he got hurt while he was out with the blue there buddy.. but there were like a group of 4-5 riders let out into the blue group early.. the guy with the R1 that recked was out with blue and then into red and THEN got hurt. My whole point is that the track official messed up with sent out some red with blue which was pretty damn dangerous

Ant
10-20-2005, 08:57 AM

Criss
Orange Buell

Nice. I walked past your pits and it looked like your bike puked a case of oil. lol

Cristine
10-20-2005, 11:46 AM
Thanks guys for the good words!

Ant - You did see oil but it was blow-by. The high tech Red Bull can I had been using as a puke can needed to be replaced at lunch! After all, the bike is still a Harley (and Honda's just don't have that sound!)

Criss
Orange Buell

Kennedy
10-20-2005, 09:01 PM
Thanks guys for the good words!

Ant - You did see oil but it was blow-by. The high tech Red Bull can I had been using as a puke can needed to be replaced at lunch! After all, the bike is still a Harley (and Honda's just don't have that sound!)

Criss
Orange Buell

Whats the ratio of work done to it and work taken to fix it on those hardleys? :lol:

motopix
10-20-2005, 09:45 PM
Whats the ratio of work done to it and work taken to fix it on those hardleys? :lol:

Dude, you're gonna get so owned next time you hit the track! You'll be like :cries:

Oh wait, that's right, you're still in the white group :LOL: :LOL:

Edited to add a pre-emptive, no offense intended.

Kennedy
10-20-2005, 10:13 PM
Dude, you're gonna get so owned next time you hit the track! You'll be like :cries:

Oh wait, that's right, you're still in the white group :LOL: :LOL:

Edited to add a pre-emptive, no offense intended.

No offense taken pix!!!!!!! It's all fun in games until i get bumped lol....maybe 18 seasons from now :LOL: :nod2:

Cristine
10-21-2005, 12:55 PM
Good one Kennedy.

I actually had one track day that cost me about $75 a lap, but when it runs, I just love that bike!

Thanks for watching my back Jeff. I am still smiling about the bump to Red. When Julie is not at the track, I can sometimes be the fastest girl there (but never the fastest person with a pony tail) :lol:

Criss
Orange Buell

Kennedy
10-21-2005, 04:35 PM
Good one Kennedy.

I actually had one track day that cost me about $75 a lap, but when it runs, I just love that bike!

Thanks for watching my back Jeff. I am still smiling about the bump to Red. When Julie is not at the track, I can sometimes be the fastest girl there (but never the fastest person with a pony tail) :lol:

Criss
Orange Buell

75$ a lap, thats nuts, you need to get yourself a jap bike...not only will your wallet grow in size but you lap times will go up as well ;) ....what kind of suspension setup are you running on the buell anyway?

Cristine
10-23-2005, 11:42 AM
I'm running a Penske shock and stock forks with Traxxion springs. Equally important - my wheels are Machesini mag! Took a lot of pounds off and made the bike turn so much quicker!

The bike turns really well now and I am happy with the set-up. As I slowly learn how to fix one mechanical problem at a time, soon I will be an expert. When I make a career change, I can just skip MMI and go right to work for a Buell dealer! Wait, that will be really hard on my manicure every day so maybe not.

Criss
Organge Buell