PDA

View Full Version : riding in the rain

benellis
10-08-2005, 12:30 PM
looks like it's going to rain at Pocono tomorrow. Just wanted to know peoples' opinions on rainy track sessions, funner, scarier, boring, white knuckle, etc...

Cakes206
10-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Me personally...I won't do it. EFP for me please. Maybe one day if I ever get a second set of rims and some rains. But otherwise its dry weather riding for me. People will tell you that riding in the rain forces you to be smooth...this is true...just would be fun for me...I could imagine what a suit would weigh soaking wet :nono:

HondaGalToo
10-08-2005, 01:21 PM
If you're gonna go out in the rain, make sure your tires are up for the task. If you have street/track tires like the Pirelli Diablo Corsas or Mich Pilot Powers, you'll be ok, as they have rain sipes to the edge of the tire. If you're running slicks or a tire like the Super Corsa, who's rain sipes don't go to the edge of the tire, then I wouldn't go out. I've done a couple of rainy days with Diablo Corsas and was surprised at how much I could lean with no drama. You do have to be smooth and more cautious, but you can learn a lot so long as your goals in the rain aren't the same as in the dry, i.e. speed. Make smoothness the goal in the rain. Actually, that should be the goal in dry conditions, too! :)

benellis
10-08-2005, 01:24 PM
thanks for the info

RtypeNYC
10-08-2005, 04:15 PM
I heard they're cancelling Pocono anyway.

bunch of standing water and mud on the track.

Kennedy
10-08-2005, 04:28 PM

Drove all the way up there this morning.....bus stop is completely under water. If it keep raining till tonight, tomorrow will definatly be cancelled as well.....

njracer
10-08-2005, 04:33 PM
If you're going to ride in the rain on a track, spend the extra cash and get a set of FULL rains (pick your fav tire mfg). Street tires might get you thru a day but the full rains will be 1000 times better.....PERIOD!

tommymac
10-08-2005, 07:09 PM

Looks like I will be saving myself a trip. Guess that means I can go to croxleys again tonight :lol:

Tom

DougZ
10-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Some tracks are good in the rain, some aren't. Pocono, although a bumpy track, actually has good pavement with good traction when it rains. If they get too much rain though, they get puddles and days are cacelled.

Other tracks, like Summit Main has a nick name of Slippery Main..because people say it is like ice when it gets wet.

I have done Poc in the rain, but never Summit....but, I'll take their word for it. :)

benellis
10-08-2005, 07:45 PM
well, if they're cancelling pocono, I guess I'll go grab another plate of spaghetti tonight :)

lateapex
10-08-2005, 10:28 PM
won't be offically canceled until Sunday morning, just like today.

The standing water if at the exit and entrance for the hairpin, comming off the back straight and there is a lake that overflowing on to the track to the right just after turn 3.

A few of us went over to S&S Speedway off Bussiness 209 and had a blast doing go karts there.

njracer
10-09-2005, 12:21 AM
Other tracks, like Summit Main has a nick name of Slippery Main..because people say it is like ice when it gets wet.

I have done Poc in the rain, but never Summit....but, I'll take their word for it. :)

Summit Point used to be called Slippey Point but since the repave about 5yrs ago the track has become MUCH MUCH better in the rain. The only bad section is T6 if you get off line and hit the sealer. It's really not that bad as long as you are on FULL rains.

njracer

Cakes206
10-09-2005, 12:38 AM
won't be offically canceled until Sunday morning, just like today.

Thats just crazy...it been raining for 2 days strait and isn't stoping anytime soon.

Wishes
10-09-2005, 02:35 AM
I prefer not to ride in the rain obviously but I did do it at VIR on the south course back in July. It rained like all hell in the morning but I just stepped it down and worked on my lines til it finally stopped raining and cleared up! It wasn't that bad you just have to think!

lateapex
10-10-2005, 08:27 AM
Thats just crazy...it been raining for 2 days strait and isn't stoping anytime soon.

Looks like they rode on Sunday.
http://www.racedayphoto.com/TPM/Oct09/RED/index.htm

I was up there on Satruday until 3:00 pm and I would have never thought they ride on Sunday.

Divine Tragedy
10-10-2005, 08:30 AM
I wont personally ride in the rain either. I got caught in it once and it was a very scary experiance. I'll wait for the warm sunny days to take her out of the garage

Bster13
10-10-2005, 11:28 AM
Yup I got a call from friends @ 8AM that the there was mist to no rain and they wre running. pocono brought blowers out on the track and after lunch it was completely dry. I got there after lunch and got two sessions in. *shrugs* always next year! :)

lateapex
10-10-2005, 12:06 PM
"always next year!"
Friday on the north course amd Summit on Monday.

I Ride
10-10-2005, 12:31 PM
Looks like they rode on Sunday.
http://www.racedayphoto.com/TPM/Oct09/RED/index.htm

I was up there on Satruday until 3:00 pm and I would have never thought they ride on Sunday.

I Rode

ffejtable
10-10-2005, 01:11 PM
Other than being a dumbass and taking T1 at VIR south wrong all day long, leading to running off, I enjoyed riding in the rain.. As others have pointed out, your focus becomes being smooth and not being fast... Personally I would definately do a day in the rain again.

As for the suit getting wet... Not sure why you would think this is a problem... I use a $2 bottle of "conditioner" that lasts at least 4 full applications on my suit, that helps maintain its integrity... It doesnt absorb much water at all, and it was dry by the end of the day... I put this stuff on after every track weekend to keep the leather in like new condition.. seems to work great...

AfricanBootyScratcher
10-10-2005, 06:27 PM
I was there sunday, good times! was using regular diablo tires (not corsas), with way too little air pressure and was sliding around like crazy, later put in a little more air, as per bob and steven's advice, and it was a little better. I went out in red with mike simms to evaluate a guy to move to blue, and was doing some serious dancing out back watching them. mike said around turn four my ass end was sliding like 2 feet! It's sad when you have more traction with your knee sliders than your tires, haha

IG.
10-13-2005, 12:51 AM
If I had to choose between dry and wet, the answer is obvious. But, if I have no choice, I will ride in the rain.

Actually, there is a lot more traction available in the wet than it seems. The track gave me the confidence of riding in the wet after one track day which happened to be rainy.

That was on my beloved Katana 600. I was simply amazed going through some really wet parts of the track leaned moderately, and.... nothing was happening. The bike just goes through. it's very odd feeling when you expect something to go wrong, but nothing does.

Well, better like this than the other way around.

Anyway, the game is over for this season. Now, upstate NY is going to be my racetrack. If you know what I mean. :lol: