PDA

View Full Version : Did I do anything wrong?

vice86
10-07-2005, 11:52 AM
last night at the bus stop, a black lady fainted in line and fell over...she kinda fell on my bag...so I was a little worried...that she may have damaged my PSP...anywho, that's neither here nor there....today I wanted to tell my co-worker about it but the black IT guy was helping him on his computer...i get to his desk and start telling him the story..."so i'm in line last night and this black little old lady faints and falls on my bag..." Was i wrong for mentioning the fact that the lady was black? I'm feeling like I was kinda wrong not just saying "this lady fainted" but it was too late...and saying "black" first really sounds outta place. But if it was a hot chick...i would have said "this hot chick fainted"...where her being hot has nothing to do with her fainting.

Should I feel bad for saying that...i feel like the IT guy was thinking "what does her being black have to do with anything"

PitsVtec
10-07-2005, 11:59 AM
I don't think you did anything wrong, you were using a descriptive sense. That's all. Maybe you didn't need to say that, but it's not a big deal. I've heard my friends (whether black, spanish, chinese, etc. ) call me "white girl", etc. and it's only as a decriptive term. I don't care and maybe it's because we have that level of understanding in our group. I don't know...but sometimes we say much worse, but it's all good at heart. Jokes are jokes to us and we know it's not meant to be used to hurt each other.

Don't stress it, there is worse that wasn't said and all you have to do is keep it that way.

ffejtable
10-07-2005, 02:39 PM
This is a dilemna I have too, and I work with a few african americans... I know sometimes when I am describing people I want to say asian or black, to help describe the situation, but at the same time, but if it came to describing a white person, I probably wouldnt say white, so its really odd.... There is absolutely no disrespect meant on my part, but what you mean, and how people take what you say are not always the same.

I wouldnt worry about it too much really.. All the political correctness is driving me insane. :)

xstortion
10-07-2005, 03:22 PM
last night at the bus stop, a black lady fainted in line and fell over...she kinda fell on my bag...so I was a little worried...that she may have damaged my PSP...anywho, that's neither here nor there....today I wanted to tell my co-worker about it but the black IT guy was helping him on his computer...i get to his desk and start telling him the story..."so i'm in line last night and this black little old lady faints and falls on my bag..." Was i wrong for mentioning the fact that the lady was black? I'm feeling like I was kinda wrong not just saying "this lady fainted" but it was too late...and saying "black" first really sounds outta place. But if it was a hot chick...i would have said "this hot chick fainted"...where her being hot has nothing to do with her fainting.

Should I feel bad for saying that...i feel like the IT guy was thinking "what does her being black have to do with anything"

Nothing really offensive there but probably not necessary especially if it makes u think u were saying something wrong. If u feel that way u woulda probably been better off leaving it out because it really doesn't make or break the story. If u r around me describe hwoever u want "black" is not derogatory. I call people asian, mexican, ricans, white whatver I don't hold back and I never thought 2.

DougZ
10-07-2005, 03:24 PM
yeah, having to be PC of every fuggin issue and with every culture under the sun is getting annoying.

In my mind, using someone's race or color to describe them is not a bad thing, so long as you are saying anything negative about them because of their race or color, but some people will just always take things the wrong way.

soda7o
10-07-2005, 05:00 PM
hey pitsV do teh asians ever clal you "round eye"

nothign wonr with it.. i woudl say the same thing.. people refer to me a srussian jew white boy fat kid ass hole bub commie etcetc etc who gives a shit..

ask your self..
was she a woman?
was she a woman of color?
what color was she?

you did nothign wrong.. cause if youthink u did somethign wonr than youshoul dhave leftout teh woman part and juest say this person or this human beiang or this homosepian fainted ...

benellis
10-07-2005, 08:23 PM
I work with a black guy, and I do tell stories where sometimes I say the word black to describe someone. For example, I talked to this black girl at the gym because I thought she looked good, and we really "hit it off". I'm thinking why did I say that, but it is because I usually don't talk to black girls. As long as you aren't implying that black people in general are second class citizens, you're in the clear. No worries, mate!

RtypeNYC
10-07-2005, 08:40 PM
it's not "wrong"... you described what happened to you.

however, what did her being black have to do with the story? nothing. you didn't ADD anything to your story by mentioning that she was black.

this black lady fell on my psp
this white lady fell on my psp
this asian lady fell on my psp
this lady fell on my psp
somebody fell on my psp

see? the story isn't any more or less interesting regardless of how you describe the "faller". if it's natural for you to describe how people look in instances where it doesn't matter at all, then keep doing it. it's not the same as if some girl asked about a friend of yours. :lol: THEN, you need to describe her.

this fine girl asked who you were
this fat girl asked who you were
this ugly girl asked who you were
this busted girl asked who you were

vice86
10-07-2005, 11:58 PM
lol..well, i know I really didn't say anything wrong...i was just being really descriptive...but i didnt NEED to say it was a black woman...but oh well, i did.

High_Revs_17
10-08-2005, 01:16 AM
You did nothing wrong, you're overanalyzing this, it's human nature for us to be descriptive.

vice86
10-08-2005, 01:27 AM
werd Rev....just with everyone being so PC and offended so easily, you never know. Plus it was teh IT guy...i don't need to piss him off...lol, if he does an audit of my surfing while working...I'm dead...haha.

Cakes206
10-08-2005, 09:38 AM
Plus it was teh IT guy...i don't need to piss him off...lol, if he does an audit of my surfing while working...I'm dead...haha.

Nooooww the truth comes out... :lol: :lol: :lol:

SilverDragon
10-10-2005, 03:01 PM
I don't think you did anything wrong, but my friends and I crack race jokes all the time (we're quite the multi-racial group, and all went to school together). In any case, you'll know if you were truly wrong when you mysteriously end up with a virus on your computer! :)