PDA

View Full Version : Trackworthy?

SilverDragon
09-30-2005, 09:21 AM
How good a rider should one be to even think about going to the track?

Due to the lack of riding on my part this past month, I don't even know if I'd be ready for next year. Are there newbie days at the tracks? I don't want to get out there just to be in people's way.

Any suggestions/comments?

Kennedy
09-30-2005, 09:27 AM

Due to the lack of riding on my part this past month, I don't even know if I'd be ready for next year. Are there newbie days at the tracks? I don't want to get out there just to be in people's way.

Dude, for my first track day at Pocono FUSA it was amazing...I have only been riding since march and this track day was done in july......There were some people in the class who got out and there and basically forgot how to ride...it was terrible....they would drag there brakes all the way through the turn upright only to slam on the throttle so I couldn't get by em on the straights...eventually i passed them but it was annoying.....I say set it and forget it....do it do it!! :wave2:

njf4i
09-30-2005, 09:43 AM
First thing you do is ignore crash Kennedy.

Second thing you should do is try to track event that Vinny and Song attended. You can find all the info here ---> Try The Track (http://www.sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694)

But since i don't have any experience about riding the track i'm sure the fellas here could help you out.

Good Luck

Vin
09-30-2005, 09:44 AM

Just go.

Kennedy
09-30-2005, 09:49 AM
First thing you do is ignore crash Kennedy.

lol, asshole.

ronin_01r1
09-30-2005, 12:26 PM

i see going to the track as more of a learning experience than "racing". as long as you have the basics, i think any rider is ready to do a track day. the organizers will simply put you in the group that is most befitting your abilities.

Rev
09-30-2005, 12:38 PM
i see going to the track as more of a learning experience than "racing". as long as you have the basics, i think any rider is ready to do a track day. the organizers will simply put you in the group that is most befitting your abilities.

I love this site cuz you guys are all track lubbers...I have a feeling I will be learning a lot from everyone here...

Another question..has anyone taken a fall at the track?? Knock on wood if you respond no./././

njracer
09-30-2005, 12:47 PM
I say just do it! I never did a track day.....I just found a race school back in 1995, did the school and just started racing and never stopped. OTOH - mt gf who has only been riding for a year did the Cali Superbike School and LOVED it. If you like to go fast and really want to learn how to ride your bike I really suggest a track day or IMO a race school (better teachers..once again IMO).

njracer

njracer
09-30-2005, 12:50 PM
Another question..has anyone taken a fall at the track?? Knock on wood if you respond no./././

In my last 10yrs of racing I've hit the ground 5 or 6 times.....everything from a 60mph low side...to a slow high side....to a 90+ mph get off at the end of the Pocono FUSA front straight. It happens....sometime more....sometimes less, it all depends on the rider.

njracer

Brian78
09-30-2005, 06:20 PM
yeah i just got off on the beaver :LOL:

Ant
09-30-2005, 06:29 PM
I've crashed 3 times in 3 track seasons. Unfortunately the last one was a bad one.

AfricanBootyScratcher
09-30-2005, 06:49 PM
take the TPM ART Basic class at the track, the sooner the better. you will learn more in one day on the track than years on the street.
as for crashes, just had my first in 2 years last friday.

ffejtable
10-01-2005, 09:36 AM
yeah, just do the www.teampromotion.com ART basic school.... I did my first track day after about riding a year and 12,000 miles... I did ride for a summer 10 years ago, but that hardly counts...

they put people in different groups based on skill level, and you will be out there with others with no/little track experience... i've seen some guys out there that are really a mess on the track, you cant do much worse. :)

i went down at VIR south at the end of july this year, chipped a bone on a knuckle and it hasnt healed much.. probably because i continue to use the finger as much as i can.... swelling hasnt gone down much...

RCM78
10-01-2005, 09:42 AM
I say just do it! I never did a track day.....I just found a race school back in 1995, did the school and just started racing and never stopped. OTOH - mt gf who has only been riding for a year did the Cali Superbike School and LOVED it. If you like to go fast and really want to learn how to ride your bike I really suggest a track day or IMO a race school (better teachers..once again IMO).

njracer

Ahh, C'mon man. Thats just mean!!! How can you say Race schools have better teachers when you've never done a track day??

RCM78
10-01-2005, 09:48 AM
As long as your familiar with riding a motorcycle. You know how to brake,shift gears and use the throttle. Then you can take Team Pro-Motions ART Basic School.

If you need help with actually riding the bike then you should take the MSF Beginner course

njracer
10-01-2005, 12:31 PM
Ahh, C'mon man. Thats just mean!!! How can you say Race schools have better teachers when you've never done a track day??

Well, I have done a few track days (less than 10) but when I started I just went to a race school (there were really no track days back in 95). However, most good race/track schools have very accomplished racers....Spencer, Pridmore (Jason and Reg), Kevin Schwantz and even Penguin (Eric and Jeff Wood) ect. Most (read most) track day teachers are just very good riders....some race, some have raced in the past and some have never raced. It does not mean they are not good teachers but IMO (read in "my" opinion) someone like Spencer, Schwantz and the likes know a hell of a lot more about getting around a track fast than some track day coach.

Once again.....this is MY opinion.

njracer

JasonB
10-01-2005, 01:46 PM
just do it. If i didn't get hurt this season i would have done alot more track days. They are worth it. If you dont want to do a track day. Do a "try the track". They let you go around in 2 sections with some instructions, but the ART basic is the way to go. You will be surprised at what these bikes can do.